Anonymous
Years ago

Oscar firing shots at Bevo?

In today's call, Oscar said "one of the things that really frustrates me about the Hawks is that their best player blanchfield only plays 28 mins". That's always been Bevo's style though, hasn't it? He likes to give everyone a fair chance to play. Even that year the Hawks made the Grand final I think their best player Clarke was coming off the bench a lot.

I just found the comment interesting given Oscar played for bevo for those last few years and would probably have insight into the way he thinks. Are other players at the Hawks frustrated too?

Topic #44509 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If he is, so what? It's his job to provide opinion, however that isn't the main point. The main point is that adults can have a point of view that differs from another adult and there doesn't have to be beef between them

Reply #724287 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Another example of how Forman is a good commentator. Strong point of view articulated well. Unlike that other wooden oaf that was also a 2018-19 addition.

Reply #724298 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Bevo has to play his best players under 30mins and use his bench, his best players would only be role players on the big spending teams.

The NBL ladder right now 1-8 is not only on w/l but would also be 1-8 on $$ spent, it's becoming like Europe.

Reply #724304 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am actually enjoying the dulcet tones of Oscar.

Reply #724343 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

As opposed to the mono tone of Wortho!

Reply #724346 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The NBL ladder right now 1-8 is not only on w/l but would also be 1-8 on $$ spent, it's becoming like Europe."

This off-season was the first one that had major change since the abolition of the salary cap and points system, and it is showing.

Reply #724357 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

and that is why the Wildcats are sliding down the ladder. #cheapout

Reply #724366 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Today's call is what?

Reply #724404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oscar also said Coenraad leads the league in 4 point plays. Clearly only watched hawks games

Reply #724413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This off-season was the first one that had major change since the abolition of the salary cap and points system, and it is showing."

What were the major changes you refer to?

Reply #724474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the money thing is a bit of a cop out.

Yes, Cairns lost Gliddon and McCarron, but their imports are better this year. Last year their imports were scoochie Smith, Jerry Evans and Egwu.

The main reason they're so much worse this year is a lack of discipline

Reply #724475 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The league is also just better overall. Cairns finished 6th last season, ahead of only Sydney and Brisbane. Now that those two clubs have finally gotten their act together and McCarron/Gliddon have left, there isn't much room for error.

Some of Mike Kelly's decisions leave a lot to be desired, which is somewhat understandable for a rookie head coach. He needs to challenge guys like Trimble more (defensively), even at the risk of getting on their wrong side. This doesn't appear to be his nature, however. The problem is they don't have enough talent to be a sub-par defensive team.

Reply #724476 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I think they would have done better if they kept their original coach.

Reply #724504 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

^Looks like it . (at Cairns , that is . )

Reply #724505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While I don't think Fearne could do better with this roster, the point is he wouldn't of chosen this roster, and probably had kids like Naar, Grida, Froling coming to him.

The weirdest thing is why would you select a rookie head coach to pick a team when 80% of your roster was departing? And then let him recruit the loose change from other teams?

This thing was doomed to fail and that's the question to be asked. Not Fearne v Kelly.

Reply #724509 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Now that McCarron and Gliddon have left to make more money elsewhere... Of the 8 Cairns locals, how many would get minutes for a contender?

My point is that it doesn't matter who the coach is, even if Goorgian coached this team they may have 2-3 more wins at best.

Reply #724511 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:02 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754