Anonymous
Years ago

Homicide is so bush league

After a day of watching the ESPN coverage of NBA Christmas games, it is a stark contrast to hear homicide Williams on the NBL broadcast.

He really is just a fan with a microphone. No insight or analysis. And the things he says are poorly articulated and poorly thought out/justified. Talks over the top of people too.

Absolutely amateurish and bush league. No wonder NBL is struggling for ratings

Topic #44520 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah, he's alright

Reply #724647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. No, he's not.

2. Hopefully the NBL is setting their sights higher than being "alright".

Reply #724740 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

He is actually spot on with his (bball IQ) comments.....maybe the casual fan doesn't get a lot of it?

Reply #724759 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

No analysis. Homicide gives lots of perspectives of what is going on regarding strategy, what players should do and what is happening at certain parts of play. He reads the play well and understands the situations. He does however make stupid statements. "Ware is best 2 way player in the league"

Reply #724760 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Plllease!! Stop comparing anything NBL with anything NBA.

I am an AVID fan of the NBL. I know that the NBA is parceps ahead in everything.

If we are knocking Homicide for not being as good as his NBA counterparts, let's also knock the players/coaches/facilities/salary caps etc, etc, etc for not being at NBA standards.

Come on folks!

Reply #724769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His analysis consists of either stating the bleeding obvious, or making sweeping statements or predictions that he's unable to provide a coherent reasoning for.

Reply #724774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^agreed

Reply #724778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How / Why is he even in the country ? It is bizarre.

Reply #724784 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"His analysis consists of either stating the bleeding obvious, or making sweeping statements or predictions that he's unable to provide a coherent reasoning for"

This.

I'd much rather listen to Aussie commentators like Santamaria, Rosen and Oscar who actually give some good insight on the game.

Reply #724792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Santamaria has been awesome so far. I haven't heard much from guys like Oscar and Greenwood, but I agree that I'd rather listen to them too. I know Heal isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I like his insight too.

Throw in John Casey, Nathan Strempel, Lachy Reid etc. and you have a good team in place.

Reply #724802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robt, Homocide is bad in comparison to the NBA, and the other commentators we have, and many others we don't. He's just bad.

Also I think you'll find that many aspects of the NBL are comparable with the NBA. Basketball in Australia just doesn't have a large-enough following and corporate backing to bring in and develop talent, to the extent that the US does.

Reply #724804 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I can agree with that. It's the mindless comparison infered in a previous post, and often before. That's all.

Reply #724811 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

His commentary consists of babbling nonsense and yelling "THAT IS HOW YOU...!!!" after every good play.

I'd rather listen to Heal call games Cadee is playing in, which is really saying something.

Reply #724813 | Report this post

VanDerPutten  
Years ago

"His commentary consists of babbling nonsense and yelling "THAT IS HOW YOU...!!!" after every good play."

Yep, that's the stating the bleeding obvious part of his analysis.

Team runs a great fast break. "That's how you run a fast break!"
Player makes a strong finish. "That's how you finish strong!"

etc

Reply #724815 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't really get the hate for Homicide he's a hype man he's there to keep things interesting so people stay engaged and don't switch the channel.

I love Casey but if I weren't a basketball nut I could imagine he wouldn't really appeal to Joe Public nor would many of the other commentators who other than Heal & maybe Trigger are all pretty vanilla.

Reply #724826 | Report this post

TrumpD  
Years ago

Comparing the NBA to the NBL is so Bushleague. What were you even thinking making that ludicrous comparison.

Reply #724828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't really get the hate for Homicide he's a hype man he's there to keep things interesting so people stay engaged and don't switch the channel."

The problem is he doesn't keep things interesting, the only engagement he provides concerns him (not the NBL or the product), and I don't buy for a a second that anyone would avoid switching the channel *because* of Homocide. Bogut talks a lot of shit, but he was spot on in this instance.

Reply #724840 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Santamaria has been awesome so far. I haven't heard much from guys like Oscar and Greenwood, but I agree that I'd rather listen to them too. I know Heal isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I like his insight too.

Throw in John Casey, Nathan Strempel, Lachy Reid etc. and you have a good team in place."

I can't stand Heal either, and that Nathan Strempel is a new addition to my list of struggling to listen to.

I'd be stoked to get a lot of Casey, Santamaria, Rosen, Lachy Reid, Trigger, Oscar, Carfino (has he been calling this season?) and Greenwood seemed ok too.

Reply #724854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a fan of Rosen but I like Dwayne Russell.

Homicide fans always say "oh but he creates interest!!" but really, how much interest does he create? The NBL needs to ask itself why TV ratings aren't particularly good. Yes, they keep quoting that Aussies love NBA, but that is exactly the problem. If I'm at home in my living room, why would I put on an interior product when I can watch the NBA?

Hearing homicides amateurish broadcast only perpetuates the perception the NBL is a bush league and not worth giving a chance

Reply #724858 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"why would I put on an interior product when I can watch the NBA?"

Bball is played indoors, with some exceptions. You're watching indoors, presumably.

Therefore, it will be an interior product.

Love it when auto co-wreck strikes others as well as me.

Reply #724863 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't really get the hate for Homicide he's a hype man he's there to keep things interesting so people stay engaged and don't switch the channel.
Which is a great plan, but I mute or switch off the games Homicide is calling and I doubt I'm the only one. But finding a combo that everyone likes is clearly impossible. Cram mentions that he can't stand Heal. Heal is one of my favourites.

Reply #724864 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"I can't stand Heal either"

I'm with you on this one. What gets me about Heal is that in terms of having an advantage over the field he is the commentator with the most basketball experience having played in the NBA, Europe, NBL glory years, at the Olympics etc. He has done everything in the game. However when he commentates he thinks of himself as an analyst solely which he is not. He would be better if he mixed it up. Where is the insight to his career, i.e. stories, relatable experience. He just commentates like a man off the street with a bit of basketball knowledge would. Kerle came in and immediately when the subject of timeouts being blacked out in the last two minutes came up he related a story of how at his time with the Bullets they were doing a dodgy and having someone watching on TV and relaying what the opposition's coach had said in the huddle. Forman on the weekend mentioned the habits of a couple of players on the court he used to play with. Heal you would think going off of his commentary had no playing experience. The closest you'll ever get from him are lines like "When I coached." or "We won the Championship in Perth". O RLY Shane.

Reply #724865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kerle is the worst of the lot. Awful comments, voice and charisma.

Reply #724866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just watching the NBA game at the moment. Chris Webber has no idea what he's on about, but at least he talks in a polished manner so the casual fan that doesn't know any better wouldn't think any less of him.

Whereas homicide doesn't know what he's talking about and also talks like a fan with a microphone rather than a professional broadcaster.

Reply #724867 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The NBL could employ me as a commentator

Reply #724868 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Which is a great plan, but I mute or switch off the games Homicide is calling and I doubt I'm the only one. But finding a combo that everyone likes is clearly impossible. Cram mentions that he can't stand Heal. Heal is one of my favourites.

I'm not a big fan of Homicide and his shtick either but he's not there for us he's there to try and rope in the neutrals. I agree I've always rated Heal's commentary highly. Shit bloke but a very good commentator.

Reply #724872 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

You would save the NBL a whole lot of money Manu and some might suggest the NBL would be getting two commentators for the price of one ;-).

Reply #724879 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Re commentators, just turn the volume down and turn on some music at the loudest volume setting. It will be just like being at the game (For Adelaide people, you will need to shout Hungry Jacks at your television for opposition foul shots).

Reply #724880 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm not a big fan of Homicide and his shtick either but he's not there for us he's there to try and rope in the neutrals.
The neutrals don't know he exists.

Reply #724882 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Too many commentators show bias

Lachie and rosen pro perth

Homicide and Russell pro perth

Wortho pro dullness

Strempel and santa like olgun trying to give expert opions which are still stuck back in the 80s.

Only good expert is carfino

Reply #724898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rosen pro Perth. Seriously?

Reply #724903 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That seemed stranger to you than "Homicide pro Perth"?

Reply #724904 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha Big Ads, I am definitely not Perthworld, however I am very adept at talking to myself

Reply #724908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always talk to myself when I want an expert opinion.

Reply #724909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So to sum up, some people like some commentators, others like other commentators.

Reply #724913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, but if you like Homocide you're wrong.

Reply #724922 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Wortho pro dullness"

*like*

Reply #724923 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm sorry but I can't warm to Strempel.

I can barely remember more than a comment each quarter from Greenwood, slow start from him.

I don't hate Wortho's calls as he seems to bounce off Trigger quite well.

Hammer is a tool but I enjoy his commentary but it does grate on me when he calls Cadee
Homicide could do with some work and Kerle seems too zen and needs some of his old mongrel back.

Overall I just miss James Harvey,.. and Derek Rucker

Reply #724930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rosen pro Perth - LOL, I love his commentary and Carfino as well.

Really miss Harvey as well (don't rate Kerle)

Reply #724932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As 913 said, some you like others you don't, ahh freedom of opinion it’s good.

Reply #724934 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

NO, Kerle is fantastic it's a FACT. The best colour duo is the BUZZAS crew of Kerle and Trigger. Great synergy. John Casey doing play-by-play and that's the all-star trio. Objective FACTS

Reply #724937 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

"Re commentators, just turn the volume down and turn on some music at the loudest volume setting. It will be just like being at the game (For Adelaide people, you will need to shout Hungry Jacks at your television for opposition foul shots)."

Hahaha!

Reply #724939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strempel is boring. Even the football guys have more personality. He's a target for the mute button every time.

Reply #724940 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

However when he commentates he thinks of himself as an analyst solely which he is not. He would be better if he mixed it up. Where is the insight to his career
But when he talks about particular players he knows (Cadee), people complain. If he raises those stories, someone gripes that he's trying to make it about himself. Can't please everyone.

Reply #724942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tredrea is good

Reply #724945 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Homicide is entertaining. Point blank. People that don't like him should either hit the mute button or just switch their mentality and mock him rather than get furious at him. People getting furious is funny af and it's what makes this time of year (specifically pre-Christmas) so damn enjoyable

Reply #724946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure who's getting "furious" over something essentially trivial like this. Your taste for schadenfreude is interesting though. Nonetheless, Homocide is still a terrible commentator. Point blank.

Reply #724954 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

I don't get angry at homicide. He is bringing what he brings to the broadcast. I do scratch my head at the NBL thinking his broadcast quality is good though, especially when they keep harping on about being the second best league in the world.

Reply #724955 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Robt seems pretty amped and Koberulz absolutely detests Homicide.

My schadenfreude is tasteful schadenfreude, meaning that if people are in a helpless situation then it's not funny. Different if it's something people can help themselves with. Tasteful.

Reply #724956 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Everyone's different. They obviously think they need a diverse bunch of commentators to please the diverse fan base. They're probably right.

Reply #725038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide is trash. The rest I'm not too fussed about.

Reply #725039 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

But when he talks about particular players he knows (Cadee), people complain.

I'm shocked you've used Cadee as an example as it's the worst you could find. Heal obviously is close to Robbie Cadee and the family so feels the need to spruik little Jason every time. So unprofessional. Reminds me of the all-time worst one where he had the gall to recommend Brendan Joyce as head coach of United after Demopolous was on the way out.

Reply #725042 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Homicide is the definition of talentless moron.

Reply #725142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully the NBL catch on.

Reply #725153 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:57 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754