Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Breakers Dec 30

The Breakers make a quick post Christmas trip to Adelaide to size up against the Sixers. Both teams are in the hunt for finals spots and games like these count.

The Long and the short of it is that New Zealand have been punching below their weight in the games that matter. Today, the matchups might prove a bit of a post Christmas hangover for Joey if he hasn't done his homework.

Shawn Long has shown glimpses of brilliance that should make any opposition coach reach for the clipboard to draw up a new play. The guy is basically a panther in the key pouncing on any mistake and swatting balls like pesky flies. If DJ thinks he can just tuck and re-tuck his pants this game, he has something else coming.

Tai Wesley has been brilliant this season, but the guy to watch this game is Corey Webster. Webster is the danger guy most likely to, like an Aztec priest on the pyramid, rip out the beating heart of the Sixers and then holding it up to the adorning crowd. That's not even considering Abba, who will be holding down the Sixers.

The game should be a high scoring entertaining game with another 200 points scored. Plenty of reasons why the Breakers should win, but the recent form of the Sixers has been better and should see them get this one.

Topic #44537 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide by 12.

Reply #725059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers have the talent but they are missing heart. They should be so much better then this

Reply #725061 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Vukona = Heart

Reply #725070 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I feel a cheeky lil Breakers win today

Reply #725076 | Report this post

CB  
Years ago

Joey sitting all his starters?

Reply #725077 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Weeks didn't call that 3 off the backboard. No score.

Reply #725078 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Overs score prediction looking good.

Reply #725079 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Not with the number of turnovers. When shooting % drops it'll be up n down the court and frustrating to watch

Reply #725080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Braswell wearing sports shoes with a suit?

Reply #725081 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The James Harden internet banter should apply to Adelaide as well.

Adelaide was fouled on this post

Reply #725082 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The 36ers are straight cancer man

Reply #725083 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Likewise with these dumb shit refs.

40 IQs all around

Reply #725084 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Refs gonna call it tighter now.

After deciding not to call the bump on Wesley that started it.

Reply #725085 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

If you are going to make a bad call, you should probably be really out of position.

Reply #725086 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Out of your depth is out of position, no?

Reply #725087 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Wesley getting frustrated cos Adelaide making a run

Reply #725088 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Foul Adelaide

Reply #725089 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Adelaide should rest Wiley, and use someone like Deng to get some soft calls on Wesley. DJ should drive at Long when he returns too.

Reply #725090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

19 to 1 free throw count to Adelaide.

Reply #725091 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

NZ can only shoot 3's and get dunked on.

Reply #725092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referees continue their fine form. Phantom fouls called on NZ players from refs out of position. Fouls called on Adelaide when Weeks flops. Wesley should have been reviewed for an unsportsmanlike, so naturally both he and Wiley are slapped with techs for what happened AFTER the play (which was a whole lot of nothing).

Multiple award-winning referee Aylen front and center of the airshow. What a joke.

Reply #725093 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Webster made the step back, but did it with the grace and agility of a 48 year old.

Reply #725094 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Froling 3/3 fg and 1/1 ft. All in about 5 min. Super efficient.

Reply #725095 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Breakers jacking up 3's. not gonna get free throws from out there. Don't see complaint in comparity of 3pt shot difference. How dare they make more 3pt shot attenpts than Sixers.

Reply #725096 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Wiley always looks to be one incident short of an ejection. Too reactively emotional. Joey doesn't seem to intervene with resting him on the bench to regather and get his number down. Will Wesley goad him into an early departure today?

Reply #725098 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

These schoolteacher refs talking to players as children. Since when was it illegal to talk to another player on the court? Love how he speaks to Wiley only when Wesley yapping aswell.

Reply #725100 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha Lovebroker, such a homer

Reply #725102 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Imagine the flack you'd get if you said that on Twitter. You'd be damn near thrown in jail, Lovebroker. Angry man, you are

Reply #725103 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Perthworld

"Overs score prediction looking good."

NZ's scoring drying up already. Bookies happier now.

Reply #725104 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Imagine the flack you'd get if you said that on Twitter. You'd be damn near thrown in jail, Lovebroker. Angry man, you are

You are right...

I would like to apologise to Hyundai.

Reply #725105 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

NZ are obviously tanking

Reply #725107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

find someone who loves you as much as Adelaide fans love screaming for hungry jacks

Reply #725108 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Righto Lovebroker, I pity you for those comments. Embarrassing bogan stuff there, like real trash.

Let's move on now.

Screw Adelaide. They're good, but bugger em.

Reply #725109 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

126pts with 1.5 quarters to go. Books had it at ~189.5? Looking good.

Reply #725110 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Lack of eftpos means they can't get burgers at the stadium, that's why they're so into HJs

Reply #725111 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

PW, your overs are fine. This'll be 200+

Reply #725112 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Didn't bet on it, just replied initially to Jack's comment that it would go 200+.

Reply #725113 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Missed out son

Reply #725114 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Overall I think the foul count shows the way both teams have been playing, but that Wesley foul on Teys is not something I want to see called in the NBL.

Reply #725115 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Are people only ever happy if free throw attempts are exactly the same?

Reply #725116 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Please miss this foul shot, Armani, so they can shut up

Reply #725117 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Watching this crowd is like watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when the kids find golden tickets.

Reply #725118 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

PW: overs bet.

When I posted NZ had gone about 4 min without looking like scoring.

Reply #725119 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Joey Wright is like Augustus Gloop. Not fat, just greedy

Reply #725120 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Manu:

"I want it now"

Reply #725121 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Romarni Moore?

Reply #725123 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How many times has Matt Russell got those two wrong in this game?

Reply #725124 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Throw em bows, Romani!

Reply #725125 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

NZ finally start to attack the rim and surprise, surprise they get some foul shots.

Reply #725126 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Manu:

I knew we had Americans, Japanese and Indians playing in the NBL.

But Romani?

Reply #725128 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

NZ got back in the game by attacking the paint and...

Chuck up a long 3 for the miss

Reply #725131 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Milk that cow, D.J.!

Reply #725132 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Guamanian

Reply #725135 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Key to Adelaide games: drop on the deck and flop like a fish!

Reply #725137 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Not sure if Guamian, American, Oceanian, or Grown Man?

Reply #725139 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ooh baby, Bryce Cotton hamstring, will not play tomorrow night. Delicious

Reply #725140 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

"I feel a cheeky lil Breakers win today" - Manu

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Reply #725141 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Jesus Pete, imagine if I actually told you a joke! Glad you find so much humour in the little things.

Kudos to you, sir, leading such a positive life :)

Reply #725143 | Report this post

CB  
Years ago

Sobey double double

Reply #725144 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

In all the frivolity...

Has anyone else noticed how easily Adelaide's lost the ball bringing it up against pressure, even 1 on 1?

Reply #725145 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

NZ gave themselves some chances, but just not good enough on either end to be chasing big leads.

Reply #725146 | Report this post

Indefatigable  
Years ago

Can't love everyone in the League.
I’m adding Adelaide to Perf as the two so easily disregarded.
Adelaide because of Sobey and Wildcats on account of Trev.

Reply #725147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hit The Road Jack should be banned from all NBL games, along with the Jeopardy music.

Reply #725148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Brunson has noticed. He seemed to think Moore was a quality PG when he is one of those incapable of advancing the ball. 6 turnovers now SMH

Reply #725150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently the refs haven't heard of verticality/playing within your cylinder. Delaney played 100% textbook defense and called for the foul.

Reply #725151 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

30 Breakers fouls.

They have played 10 players today.

That averages out to be 6 of the 10 players fouled out.

P.S. glad that Lovebroker comment was flagged

Reply #725152 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If Bijan Johnson was a Nintendo character he'd be Toad

Reply #725155 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Breakers fouled more than that. Got away with plenty

Reply #725156 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

After the solid effort the Breakers put in the third, it's obvious how they will approach the Sixers a week from now. Just a poor 2nd quarter and start to the 3rd, and if they can rediscover their long range shooting they should trouble Adelaide.

But credit to the Sixers. Played the game their way and dictated the tempo. Their lack of a true point guard still worries. Great work on the boards as well.

Reply #725158 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I thought Shorter was lacking in PG skills but Ramone Moore's decision making is deplorable. I'd rather Doyle bringing the ball up than Moore.

Reply #725159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers so overrated, there imports offer nothing consictenly. Going nowhere.

Reply #725160 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Manu

Best to let it go. I noticed it too, and assumed it would be flagged and deleted. We've lost a few players to mental health, and Isaac seems to have a pretty sensible approach in this area.

Reply #725161 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah it was a parting comment. Lovebroker has targeted me for a while, hope this is the last of it. Hope he can get his anger sorted out because it's gotten to the point where I feel sorry for him.

Re: Sixers, I don't believe. Good point earlier about their struggles when pressured bringing it up the floor. They'll gladly go fast with everything they do, and cash easily get out of control with it. That's what made Childress so valuable last season, was his ability to make good decisions when others would lose control. Playing that faster NBA would've influenced that ability of his for sure.

I don't see the Sixers being as effective in the half-court without Creek and Childress. There will come a point this where they become cannon fodder

Reply #725164 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

A well executed full-court press kills the Sixers imo

Reply #725165 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I don't think it even needs to be well executed or a press. Just one on one hard-nosed D starting in the back court, and not allowing easy outlet pass. Moore seems to hang the ball out a bit when he changes direction. Sobey’s been a bit loose as well. Both of 5hem have been stripped of the ball around the halfway line.

That said, a well executed press or sideline traps just over the half would work even better. Childress could also bring the ball up when he had to, or hold and use vision to spot a good passing option.

I also think Sydney have a similar weakness. Randle has good handles, but can over-dribble into trouble. Sometimes Bogut has had to help out bringing up the ball. sure about Brisbane either, but Gibson would give them a chance when on.

I’d like to see coaches try more pressing to try to shake things up a bit, especially as we approach the finals. Perhaps the ultimate winner will be decided by who makes the best adjustments to pressre D???

Reply #725166 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Managed to get to this game today. Many of the comments above covered what I saw at the game. Especially agree with the comment re 36ers' vulnerability to pressure on the ball handler. That said, they executed better today in the half court than against Illawarra (the other game I’ve been to}.

NZ led early because they beat the 36ers at their own game - getting back quickly on defence and running the ball hard in transition. They also hit their outside shots. They missed outside shots thereafter and Adelaide did a better job of getting set in defence before NZ brought the bal up.

After half time NZ attacked the rim more and foul count was pretty even from there - as someone noted above.

Sober played very well and DJ was fantastic (big contrast to the Illawarra game). Wiley needs to stop preening behind the backboard and get back on defence after he scores. No problems if he preens as he gets back down the court but he left team mates 4 on 5 at least a couple of times.

Webster is a shadow of the player who tried out for the NBA - what happened? Abercrombie is a shell of the player from even a couple of seasons ago. Long was good but the 36ers’ tactic of getting him into foul trouble worked well.

Refs were generally okay but should have tech fouled Sobey, for consistency with the T they gave to Patrick Richard shortly afterwards. Based on lip reading the players. Refs got some calls wrong late in the game but players were desperate and throwing themselves about on several plays and a few mistakes were inevitable.

It feels like the Adelaide crowd couldn’t be called "the most knowledgeable in the NBL" any more. Too many bogans. The “Hungry Jacks” chant is pretty dumb. It was always more fun watching people waving stuff behind the backboards to put players off, or yelling “we’re gonna build a house from your bricks” which one card did today - thanks for the laugh mate! The chant is lowest common denominator stuff. Likewise the low IQ trash talking from the crowd. Part of the fun used to be listening to some of the good gibes the smarter folks would throw at the opposition. There also used to be more respect (grudgingly) for the quality of play when the opposition did something great. I just haven’t felt that at the games I’ve been to this year. Maybe my senses were dulled by the overly loud fellow on the microphone - his voice actually hurts my ears.

Great to see a good game of basketball today, and even better that the 36ers won.

Reply #725173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peterjohn

Great post (from a breakers fan). Insightful

Reply #725176 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That chant is from the NBL it's not exclusive to Adelaide mate

Reply #725178 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

The Hungry Jacks chant is more of a taunt than a wish for a free cheeseburger.

I know I cannot be bothered to stop the car and either bring everyone out or wait at the drive-through for one cheeseburger.

Reply #725180 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Breakers finally showed some resolve and effort on D. Too little too late for this game and the season.
We just don't make enough shots to stay with good teams.

Imports guards are only average by league standards and their production reflects this.
Long is always in foul trouble, so he is not as effective as he could be.
Webster has been in a funk all season.
Ili's shot just does not look right.
Weekes and Tai Wesley are really the only consistent players we have.
I still don't understand what Abercrombie is supposed to be doing. He looks like he can score so easily and when you look at stats, you always find he has taken 7,8,9 shots. How can he get 15-20 points on that.

Reply #725181 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Last season, Sixers struggled with press early in season and then worked out a plan and killed it with positioning and passing. This season the ball has been stripped from ball carrier so many times. They are also slow to react to double teams and turn it over. Sixers made Breakers score look good early as they gave up soft turnovers way too easily.

Reply #725184 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Deng looking lively and putting some shots in makes a huge difference.

Reply #725185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng still not sharing the ball at all, but at least he now can make some baskets. Big improvement

Reply #725195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu said "Manu Fieldel
A few hours ago

I feel a cheeky lil Breakers win today" OOps

Reply #725196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richard was teched for pretty blatant remonstating, in addition to what he said.

Reply #725193 | Report this post

Adelaide don't struggle with a zone.
You should watch some games once in a while Manu, you might learn something.
Also, the press worked for NZ in the dying stages because they were desperate.
ANY real Baller who PLAYS the game knows - no team can play full court man for a full quarter, let alone a whole game. Play the press all game on Adelaide and Wiley will have 50 points off of
25 dunks.

Your hatred for Adelaide is draining. Go to the beach with your family and stay off Hoops for a day or two. It will do you good.

Reply #725234 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

That was the best comment so far. Love it.

Reply #725236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+1 California dreaming.

Reply #725239 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

California Dreaming, if you want to act pompous and beat my arguments, at least address my arguments properly, champ. Strawmanning is well documented here. I have noticed that Adelaide loses confidence and direction when confronted with full-court press and find the compass once Joey calls a timeout. Didn't say play it all game. Is your judgement impaired because you're irritated by me or are you lazy with your arguments? Seriously, hit me back addressing what I said in previous messages. I've written the points below for your convenience.

- Do many teams play zone against Adelaide? (aka, I haven't taken too much notice)
- Theoretically Adelaide struggles with a zone (I'd like to be informed, care to inform me?)

Udog, want to contribute something or just cheerlead?

Reply #725240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+2 for cheerleading against Fieldel. Happy new year Gronk.

Reply #725244 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I'm just here waiting for a mate

Reply #725256 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Teams play zone all the time against Sixers. They break it down by passing inside either to free throw line or inside the block.

Reply #725261 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think the full court press causes much issue for Adelaide, they break it down easily and usually get a basket. They did that against New Zealand.

Realistically it’s a desperation play at the end of the game, although it’s been known to be successfully used by teams as a surprise for a few possessions during the game to force a cough up and get some momentum back.

The speed and transition nature of it plays into Adelaide’s hands.

Re Adelaide’s point guard issues, Moore and Sobey coughing up against defence is pretty common, Moore is when he tries an around the back to switch direction and Sobey is usually trying to do a little too much and losing control.

When they got it over the half court and settled a bit, that allowed for cleaner handles and less turnovers.

Re Zone, Drmic Deng and Sobey plus Conger now will happily trigger all day; Johnson and Froling both have very good foot work down low and Johnson/Wiley/Conger are all happy to drive against a zone.

Adelaide loses the plot when they are 1) lazy, 2) act hot headed and 3) try to do too much and those three things occur most when challenged defensively man to man.

In respect of this game:

A few herpderp moments by Moore and co but aside from that, better free throw shooting makes a huge difference and put a heap of scoreboard pressure on New Zealand.

Sobey was in form offensively and defensively; Johnson stood tall like a captain getting baskets when needed most. Froling did the little things including those offensive rebounds and put backs. Deng has regained confidence and Conger was aggressive. Teys wasn’t forced to do too much, he was the calming influence and splashed the odd three.

Good game but Adelaide - biggest concern is consistency on defence including the perimeter

Reply #725277 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

KET, I'd add that the Sixers never looked better attacking a zone than they did at the start of the 4th quarter against NZ. About 30 secs into the 4th after a good start by NZ, Joey subbed Deng for Wiley and I wondered why. Next time down the floor, Deng is given the ball at the 45 and uses his height to make the entry pass to DJ in the key. DJ scores easily and Sixers repeat successfully the next three offences. Question answered - great tactical response by Joey.

I'm hoping we see this a lot more from the Sixers. They have great offensive weapons, but they are hopeless at identifying and then ruthlessly targeting opposing teams defensive weak points. DJ should be averaging over 20 ppg, but they don't create enough opportunities for him.

Likewise, they should be running plays to get Drmic and Deng open looks from three far more often than they do. Instead its mostly directionless offence with Moore, Sobey or Conger probing the defence off the dribble.

Reply #725503 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754