Anonymous
Years ago

What now for the Breakers?

What now for the breakers?

Topic #44542 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

2nd last, get rid of there imports and start again. Find some young guys in NZ or pinch a few Aussies to strengthen them, worked with CJ. They need a genuine 5 man, a point guard who can play defence as well as offence and a quality 3 man to put Abercrombie to the bench.

Reply #725170 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Having Ili as your starting PG was never going to be successful, keep Long though!

Reply #725172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broken

Reply #725174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ili not the problem. Real insight please

Reply #725175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illi-20 and long -19, got play D.

Reply #725177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shea ili is the least of the breakers problems. Loss of Mika seems to be much bigger problem as nobody now seems to be keeping the team accountable on court.

Reply #725194 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

In all honesty, isn't Webster supposed to be a star? He's the one that disappoints me most.

When he is "on", no doubt about it, but it's much too infrequent that he is on his game. Even then, his contribution is all about offence. At his best, he seems a defensive liability.

Reply #725199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster, Yep a big star with big salary - neither he nor Abercrombie seems to be able to lead the team. Who is the captain?

Reply #725202 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I said in an earlier game thread that the team played with no heart and desire and this hasn't changed. Finn Delany and Jordan Ngatai have this heart and desire and should be given more minutes. Bring back Kevin Dillard (he’s playing in second division in Italy) or at least a Kevin Dillard type to run the point guard spot and make things happens.

Richard has so much promise but just isn’t consistent and Corey isn’t having a great season-> has the league gone past Corey (similar to what’s been said about Cedric Jackson)????

There is so much talent on this roster, at 6-9 w/l record, the play-offs are not out of the picture and there is a few consecutive taipans/hawks games, which based on this season’s games, the Breakers should win BUT the next three games shape the season: 36ers (A), Wildcats (H) and Kings (A)- potential to go 0-3 and at 6-12 the season would be all but over.

Reply #725221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyrell. I have no idea why you would bring in Kevin Dillard? Ili and weeks give more production than Dillard did.

Reply #725222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyrell. I have no idea why you would bring in Kevin Dillard? Ili and weeks give more production than Dillard did.

Reply #725223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they were going to bring a previous breaker player Akil Mitchell or ebekwe would be more appropriate

Reply #725224 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

@Anonymous- Dillard made things happen. Weeks would be a good backup to a Dillard-type. Imho Shea hasn't lived up to last season’s prowess- although at the same time I am fully aware he won’t and shouldn’t be cut.

An Akil Mitchell energy type guy BUT has to be able to shoot free throws at a good clip- that is a good idea!

Reply #725231 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Good summary Anonymous.
Poor shooting leads to losing touch on scoreboard and creates more pressure.
Defensively, we show little intensity and absolutely no desperation. We leak points, again creating a catch up scenario.
Abercrombie, Delany, Moore and Richard are all basically the same player type. But collectively still underperform.
Webster and Richard as 2's are grossly out of touch.
Majok does not seem to have a role. Appears and mostly disappears for no reason.Don't understand why he and Long could not play at the same time. Long is pretty reliable

Reply #725247 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

The thing that would concern me most as a Breakers fan is where are the young Kiwis coming through? Abercrombie and Webster seem to be treading water. Ili is fine, an average PG, he just needs to find a deep ball, but at least he doesn't overplay his hand. Long is a good pick-up, it just seems from the little I’ve seen of him he either hasn’t adjusted to avoid fouls/doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt (like everyone’s favourite player, Andrew Bogut - I’ll let you decide if it’s the former or latter). The Breakers of old had the benefit of the best homegrown talent. But we’re seeing old faithfuls like Vukona, Pledger, or even Rob Lowe’s hair, going elsewhere. Delaney and Weeks are solid bench players. Moore and Richard seem disappointing.

Reply #725286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Voilet - you got me thinking. There are actually lots of youngsters coming thru. Ironically, many of them are big bigs -
@5.

Just when the world has decided to go small, kiwis finally produce a heap of bigs.

A concern I do have is I don't think Braswell can develop the big guy. He basically is not interested in the 5.

The challenge we have is our 1 to 4 men coming through is not jumping out to me.

Breakers have been well served at 4 with Boucher, vukona, Wesley. Going to be interesting.

Reply #725351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If breakers had retained the old faithful the team would have been

Ili
Weeks
Webster
Newbill
Abercrombie
Delany
Wesley
Vukona
Long
Pledger
Ngatai

Interesting if that team would have performed better. I suspect it would have.

Reply #725354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GM got it all wrong talking up imports and Wrbster

Reply #725406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster and Richard should be going for 40 per game. Instead they are lucky to get 4.

Reply #725411 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:01 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754