Jack Toft
Years ago

Cairns v Perth Dec 31

Oh, the NBL do know how to tease us don't they? They have saved the MOTR until the last game.

Cairns have gone an unlucky 13 losses in a row, which means that they are due a win. I hope Trevor Gleeson has packed his brown dacks because this is a danger game for the Wildcats. I believe the correct term in Queensland is a "banana peel game" Perth have gone four straight losses in a row and are as vulnerable as a drunk teenager on NYE.

Cairns have been smacked around the court on some games and lost by 22 last time they played. If Cairns are to get a win, tonight is the night. On Feb 29 women can propose to their men and on NYE a bottom ranked team can propose a win to their opposition and they must accept. Thems the rules Floppycat fans. It's written in the fine print on any MG contract.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. Perth are obviously more talented than Cairns, but Perth are up to four losses in a row: fans have five fingers on their hands and another loss is needed in order to help them count to 5.

Cairns over the LLLL-amas in an upset...

Topic #44544 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns.

Without Cotton as well, there's no firepower match-up. Melo to have a huge game, I reckon.

Reply #725206 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Might be a close game . Interesting to watch . I got the impression of both teams being good at the start and fading out in the fourth .
Although in Perth , they like to watch the refs and count the fouls and tell us what we are watching and video reviews must have them in a little bit of excitement and if Perth lose it's due the refs .
I just get bored when you know what someone is gonna say before they say it.

Reply #725207 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Be interesting to see how Perth cover Cottons scoring output. He basically averages half the whole teams average score.

Reply #725208 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cairns to win.

Reply #725210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrico to drop 30

Reply #725212 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

... but 0 in the fourth quarter.

Reply #725213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

then be dropped from the team?

Reply #725215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth easily, they are still a strong squad, what was the point of bringing in Kay and Norton in to stay the same. Perth will have a more even distribution of scorers, no defence Cairns won't change.

Reply #725216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the chance for Terrico to silence the critics.
If he doesn't Perth should be looking for two new imports.

Reply #725219 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I'm imagining a defensive borefest manufactured by Trevor Gleeson (while being bombarded with shots of him with a look on his face like he's constantly sniffing terrible farts).

Reply #725220 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Cotton out is a great setup for everyone who hates Perth.

If they scrape a win, no need to act on third import.

If they lose, "our best player is out, it'll get better when he returns," again no need to act on import.

Reply #725228 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Sorry Perth fans. No Cotton, no offence.

Reply #725232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This is the chance for Terrico to silence the critics" - How? By showing what we already know? That hes a flat track bully. - Perth should win this, even with Cotton out - but I can see them losing - Clearly Wagsatff doesn't give a shit anymore and White never did - plus Trev has done what he always does and burned out his starters

Reply #725233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah White proving that he can only play well if Cotton isn't on the court is not exactly going to silence the critics

Reply #725235 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

We will find a way to screw this up. Norton will torch Trimble.

Perth also will be fresh after a horror travel schedule

Reply #725241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth aren't at least 20 up at the final break then Cairns should like their chances.

Reply #725246 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

We haven't won a final quarter at home all season

Reply #725248 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We give up double digit leads.

Reply #725249 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

... and are cooked.

Reply #725251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats will Start Martin, Norton, and Hire - Tremble will need to change his shorts

Reply #725253 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Terrible vs Chokers. This could be epic.

Reply #725254 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Perth haven't pulled the trigger on Terrico/ Wagstaff/ Hire/ Vague/ latest whipping boy= Management don’t care.

Cotton injured/ half of the team’s scoring absent= none of the young guns or role players are touted as being due for a slide-breaking breakout game.

Playing the comfortably last-placed team= we’ll just shut up about how good we are.

Perthworld and Manu talking trash and mocking Perth= we’ll quietly fade into the background and let our team be the laughing stock of the hoops forum.

Where are all the Defenders of Perth/ Blamers of Refs today?

It’s not like you don’t have a few hours extra to waste before you can ring in the new year over there.

Reply #725288 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Exactly my point recently. Red Army are soft and letting themselves get bent over. Weak.

Reply #725290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you guys have basically just said that no matter what anyone says, you already have an argument lined up for it, yet you wonder why no one is bothering. Hmmmm....

Reply #725303 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How many dunks has Jawai f*cked this season.

Reply #725320 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Jawai owns Jervis down low

Reply #725321 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To be fair I reckon Jawai has blown more dunks this season than he's made all of the previous two seasons.

Reply #725323 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

and so does Lowe from the look of that last move

Reply #725324 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's a shame watching Jawai pulling his finger out this season surprise surprise in a contract year after putting his feet up the last two seasons.

Reply #725325 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Who thinks Cairns win this game? I'm calling it early

Reply #725326 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

No sooner I wrote that and wildcats go on. 7-0 run.. maybe I should shut up

Reply #725327 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cairns are more awful than first thought.

Reply #725328 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Tragardh says Perth will always have big money for imports.. if that's true then why don’t they get a third? Also Cairns should forget about the zone, Perth are carving it up

Reply #725329 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

True, the commentary team contradicted themselves talking about the dynasty having to come to an end but then assuming money will always be there. Derp.

Reply #725331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are the worst side I can remember playing, even worse than those kings sides that were last under Heal and Robilliard

Reply #725332 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Can someone tell Mike Kelly to get out of that zone.. omg! They were in the game until they went to the zone

Reply #725333 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Beecroft et al signed Kelly last minute as a rookie head coach. Surely there is a clear out of front office. Shocking.

Reply #725334 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Technically I think Kelly can be a good coach, but and this is a big one.. he seems content with losing. The commentators are right, sometimes he needs to rip into the players and I haven't ever seen. As much of a flog Gleeson is he doesn’t hold back when things are going bad

Reply #725336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns team is crap, who employed them management or Kelly, Newbill is there best, big Nate had a good season but the rest wouldn't make any decent side. Hall and Trimble are not quality imports, I know all commentary love them but I don’t.

Reply #725340 | Report this post

rabbit82  
Years ago

dont let this game distract you from the fact that harden was fouled during that play.

Reply #725341 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Anonymous, I agree with one exception- I think Trimble is a player.

Reply #725342 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Trimble generating some decent looks for himself, just doesn't have the same touch he did to start the season it seems... or else he's reverting to the mean after a hot start.

Reply #725343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would look better with some better options around him too

Reply #725344 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Yep

Reply #725345 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

This will be unsportsmanlike for sure

Reply #725346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thugstaff

Reply #725347 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I think Wagstaff was trying to break his fall more than making a dirty play.. but the rules are the rules and it was unsportsmanlike

Reply #725348 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

To quote Pat Riley "winning is a habit, so is losing".. kinda sums Cairns up. Dumb plays, coach sticking with a zine that isn't working.. it seems they aim to look good losing rather than wanting to win

Reply #725349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble very bad defensively for me and not keen on playing D.

Reply #725350 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I wonder if this game will be enough for Perth fans to think Wagstaff shouldn't be released from his contract in favour of a 3rd import.

Reply #725352 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Lo and behold.. Cairns play man to man on made baskets (instead of zone) and get some stops!!

Reply #725353 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I'm not Gleeson’s biggest fan but that was an awesome timeout

Reply #725355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel like Rob Loe's hair game has gone downhill over the past 4-6 weeks

Reply #725356 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

That was a tough finish from Trimble

Reply #725357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since hitting that 3 White has been terrible

Reply #725358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tough finish at offensive end for two and scored straight back on by Norton for two plus the and one.

Reply #725359 | Report this post

rabbit82  
Years ago

I reall don't get nbl type of basketball
dont get any points in 3 inutes then in a span of 30 seconds you see 20 points

Reply #725360 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Cairns made Perth look good in this game

Reply #725362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really IMO. Perth still look ordinary. Cairns just worse. It was pretty close most of the way.

Reply #725363 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cairns have a unique blend of defensive deficiencies and offensive meagerness. Should've just stuck with Fearne and told him to stop playing D and scrapping.

Reply #725364 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

The lead was 10+ for the majority of the game after about the 15min mark.. I don't count that as "close most of the way". Barring a run to start the third by Cairns to cut the lead to 2, but it quickly went back to 12. Perth are far from great atm but Cairns did make them look better than they are

Reply #725367 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

AngusH.. I agree haha

Reply #725369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne contract not renewed for playing the only logical style of basketball to overachieve in the smallest market in the competition.

Time for those who made that decision to put their hand up and be held accountable. Beecroft? Stone?

Perhaps it is now time for a change where it should have happened all along?

Reply #725378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone see the camera pan to Jawai on the bench late in the 4th where he seemed to give someone in the crowd the thumbs up and pointed to what I assume was Kelly and shock his head in disappointment?
Looked like he was incinuating that he wasn't injured and good to go, but he just wasn’t being played. Maybe I am reading into things but his body language did not look good.

Reply #725380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His body language looked huge

Reply #725385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only change that needs to be made is removing cairns from the league.

Reply #725389 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

There is obviously disharmony simmering beneath the surface in that team, you can tell from the body language of many of the players.

Reply #725390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alot of those players are lucky to have jobs.

Reply #725396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could not believe all the commentators rushing to praise White - for what? - Cairns were terrible - Perth was less terrible that's all you can say - we know White can rack up big scores against rubbish opponents - nothing tonight met the criteria of "stepping up" - he's soft and refuses to commit his body - he's the stereotypical professional journeyman

Reply #725400 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

White can't commit his body due to previous injury problems, well documented ones at that yet Cats still chose to go with him as the only import other than Cotton. Cheap out and this is what you get.

Cairns are worse than first thought. 1-27 coming up.

Reply #725404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But why persist with him? - Everybody knows he won't be here next year - Its one thing thing I relly like about the Euro teams if an import doesnt perform hes gone - literally they could dump white and start Steindl and be no worse off

Reply #725414 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:30 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754