Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcats 19/20

This season isn't over yet with 10 regular games to go but Perth look like making playoffs yet again but aren't in my opinion a threat for the title.

Where to next season?
Staying:
Cotton
Kay
Norton
Vague
Brandt
Steindl ( although a free agent is worth keeping.

Potentially retiring:
Martin ( I still think he should play one more year)
Jervis
Hire
Wagstaff

White will be gone.

Let's hope for 2 impact imports alongside Cotton and some youth on the bench

Thoughts on 2019/20 roster ?..

Topic #44552 | Report this topic

Cats for life  
Years ago

Sitting 2nd on the ladder, should've closed out Sydney, Illawarra and Brisbane game's.

One thing we have lacked for a long time is being a consistent threat from 3 point territory.

Wagstaff and Hire and Martin are questionable. White is enough if we had another import getting 15 a game to help him out as well.

Jervis has been very ordinary as has Wagstaff, both experienced enough to get the job done.

Reply #725449 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Saying they are no threat for the title is laughable. Think for a moment who you are talking about and how much finals experience they have. Not to mention they could still finish on top and HCA in perth is massive.

As for next season they will still have a top notch core of locals in their side. Cotton is on big dollars so i can see them rolling with only two imports again next season. But if Martin retires that will free up a lot of space to perhaps get a third import or another quality local.

Im still not sold on Steindl. Hes a very inconsistent shooter and loses confidence easily and doesn't provide much defensively. He hasn't helped resolve their perimeter scoring issues

Reply #725452 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Whoah steady there! 2019-20 talk already? Given up on this season already? and if you have then what is to say the club don't cheap out next season too making it three seasons in a row. Also what is overlooked is Bendat being 93 and looking frailer by the day. He could be on the way out very soon and the family probably aren't as into the Wildcats as he is. Then what?

Reply #725455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the license was held in trust.

Reply #725460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He could be on the way out very soon and the family probably aren't as into the Wildcats as he is."

What are you basing that on?

Reply #725464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guessing like most things here.

Reply #725465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A polite way of saying "making shit up"

Reply #725466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#725455 is a known troll.

Reply #725470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton, Martin
Cotton, Steindl
Import*, ?,
Kay, ?
Brandt, ?

With Vague as 11th man and possibly use an import spot in reserve frontcourt, go with youth for other two spots.

Find Ennis/Prather type instead of Tokoto/White type at small forward

Reply #725484 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bendat is like us - one of the 1%ers who is into NBL, his family like the rest of the general public don't give a F about it. You can't assume ownership continues with how frail Jack is. Sure when he passes his philanthropic endeavours continue but a marginal basketball team? Doubt it. The ridiculous thing is we have half a season of 2018-19 to go and the topic is about 2019-20 ignoring our non-spending trend of late but assuming everything comes good six months later. Huh?

Reply #725486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"his family like the rest of the general public don't give a F about it. "

What are you basing that on?

Reply #725487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you don't like the topic "Perthworld" you don't have to be part of it.
Troll on brother.

Reply #725488 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I think depending on how Cats do come season end will impact what happens in the new season. If we win it all, I wouldn't be surprised to see Martin, Wagstaff and Jervis play on. I think Martin should play on regardless, he's all but handed over the reigns to Norton, and having Damo's leadership and 12-15 minutes of harassment is very valuable. Hire has to go surely, surely, please! In saying that he has been decent this season, apparently he has really altered his diet to get leaner and contribute more. If we choke at seasons end then I agree Wagstaff, Hire and Jervis should be moved on or retire.

Reply #725493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats to miss the playoffs this season and next (at least).

1. Sydney
2. Melbourne
3. Brisbane
4. Adelaide

--DAYLIGHT--

5. Perth

--DAYLIGHT--

6. New Zealand
7. Illawarra

--DAYLIGHT--

8. Cairns

Reply #725495 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Did someone just say "If we win it all" while we are in the middle of an awful run? Wow.

No family is with Bendat at games, so it is fair to say they aren't interested. Can Red Army fans stop being so offended when something negative is suggested about the team?

Reply #725496 | Report this post

Awful run? Wildcats have a 1 game winning streak atm!

Reply #725499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you just stop posting.
Perthworld I bet you're not a Perth fan at all which is your prerogative but pretending to be is lame.

We know you're a troll, get a life.

Reply #725500 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Just because you don't agree doesn't make me a troll.

FFS Red Army/Cat Chat as dumb as ever.

0-4 and a win against one of the all-time worst teams recently.

Reply #725501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Troll on Perthworld.
I know you will never shut up I'm best to ignore your mundane posts.

Reply #725502 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Perthworld is Manu

Reply #725504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld/Manu, how is asking you to support your claims "being offended?" It's asking you a question, one which you are too scared to answer.

For someone who decided to have multiple personalities, it’s weird that you chose for them to be such snowflakes.

Reply #725505 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wildcats to miss the playoffs this season and next (at least).
They already have 12 wins, 14 should get them in. 2-7 probably gets them a playoff spot, 3-6 guarantees one.

Bad as they look right now, they'll make it.

Reply #725507 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm not Manu (WTF?).

What do you want answered?

Listen I just want the team to do well but it seems like everyone not just front office now but even the fans are complacent? At least I didn't post we're finishing 5th when clearly there is too much of a gap to fall that far.

Reply #725519 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Martin is still SURELY a keeper & should play on..

Also, I think Jervis & Wags would be excellent 9th & 10th men, with Vague as 11.

Reply #725528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are the fans complacent? What can they be doing differently?

Reply #725537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good question!

Reply #725538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean, some fans suggested a couple of weeks ago that a tough decision needed to be made in Wagstaff, and AngusH crapped his pants for days. It's not like fans have any influence in the club, except for not attending games, but that hurts everyone.

We're talking about the second placed team, and you're complaining that the fans are being too accepting. Of what exactly?

Reply #725542 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I wouldn't say I crapped my pants, more that I was in disbelief that Perth fans could be so quick to turn on someone like Wagstaff considering his history with the club. He may be having an off year, but he's under contract all the same and I don't think winning should be *everything*. He's 32 years old, not 37, and isn't doing drastically worse than his career numbers. But hey, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, because pretty sure I saw some comments on here that it was time for Martin to sit down in favour of Norton too, when Damo was injured...

Reply #725545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis is out playing Brandt so no he shouldn't retire

Reply #725547 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Accepting of having no third import and/or persisting with White as they did with Cooke.

Reply #725553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, when did the fans get to make team decisions? Have you spoken to 10 000+ members to determine if they are all complacent?

Reply #725555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What can they do about it Perthworld?

Reply #725556 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Im pretty sure i heard in an interview that Bendat's son would be continuing his legacy with the wildcats when hes gone so im sure they'll be fine for years to come. But its no certainty that Jr is even a fan of the NBL or he could just end up blowing the fortune so you never know.

Reply #725567 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Experience has taught me that you write Perth off at your own peril. Still sitting well in 2nd. You make the Top 4, get favourable match-up or hot from the field (or key injuries to competition, though you never wish/want that) and you never know.

Reply #725573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld has no come back lol.

Reply #725577 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

@Bol that's good news.

No comeback needed as my observation that fans are content this season is evident.

Reply #725580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, you said complacent, which means you think the fans themselves could be doing something about the roster, or the imports, or Bendat, or whatever you're rambling on about.

You also think that asking questions is the same as getting offended. You’re not a very smart troll.

Reply #725582 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You keep prattling on with the same questions about what the fans can do etc. I'm shocked there isn't more uproar on here about it, obviously fans are fans and can't do much EXCEPT have a voice online. But this season everyone has downed tools. This run we are on is sh!t and they pulled the same stunt last season by keeping Cooke. *looks at topic* oh that's right let's look at the 19-20 season half way through 18-19!

Reply #725584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you Dazz? Perthworld.
Imbecile.

Reply #725585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt it. Dazz is a cats fan and Perthworld is a cats hater. also their styles are both annoying but very different. also Dazz doesn't contradict himself in different threads. Perthworld is just a troll.

Reply #725587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Perthworld is a troll

Reply #725595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooke wasn't the problem last year, Tokoto was.

Reply #725597 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Tokoto too, agreed.

Reply #725600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was another season in recent memory where the star import had a slump on either side of Xmas. Thankfully the team didn't listen to the online fans and the Perthworld's cos the team went ok from then on. That import now starts for the Houston Rockets.

Reply #725601 | Report this post

Dazz is alive and well on Cat Chat! Still delusional. Still Dazz.

Reply #725610 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Damian Martin has just joined First National Real estate. My wife received a message from them showing Damo looking swish dressed in a suit.

He must be putting plans in place to retire this year.

Reply #725617 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Wouldn't surprise me if Martin did retire.
Whether he ends up with 5th championship or not he will be remembered as a legend at the club.
With a second child due shortly he can focus on family and real estate.

Reply #725621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Martin is out of contract at the end of the season but wants to play for several more seasons."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/perth-wildcats-captain-damian-martins-grit-constant-on-his-journey-to-300-ng-b881064293z

Reply #725744 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Sorry Bol, you're a bit behind the times.
Paul Bendat was indeed an NBL fan. He was behind the original moves to reinstate the Brisbane Bullets, putting up his own money. Unfortunately he passed away in 2017 from Cancer.
I'm not sure if Jack's daughter Laura is into Basketball. I don't even know where she lives.

But don't forget, the Wildcats have been self-sufficient for years, so it's not s critical as it once was.

I would be disappointed, but not surprised to see a changing of the guard at the end of this season. Damo, Wagstaff, Hire, and Jervis, could all be candidates for retirement.

I wouldn't read too much into Damo's Real Estate exploits. Most veteran guys are developing outside careers, rather than playing basketball all year round. That said, he'll retire when he's ready, and the timing could surprise us.

Reply #725792 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That's right - he was the anti-poker machines advocate. I remember reading about him.

Reply #725793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, why do you post shit?

Reply #725813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good shit*

Reply #725818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are back on top of the ladder. Why aren't their fans demanding more???

Reply #726128 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd like a quality shot blocker in the team like Mickell Gladness type as our best shot blocker is Vague and Wagstaff keeps taking his minutes.

Bogut has shown just how much of a difference a true rim protector can be to your teams defence.

I'd like to see Jervis play more aggressively and either go for blocks or hard fouls as he was awesome in a lot of games for Bullets but not much from him this season

Reply #726176 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:47 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754