Air Delay
Years ago

Hawks 19/20

So whilst I haven't given up hope on the miracle, what will the Hawks look like in 19/20?

If I had any input (which I don't : )) I'd like to see-

1. GUN SCORING IMPORT 1/2 / Naar /White
2. Jett (value 4 $) / Glover
3. Blanchfield. / Grida
4. STEAL Moller. / Coenraad
5. Ando. / AJ

AJ - assuming no one else will buy him & he'll take less $$$$ to reflect his current role... Thought he's played reasonably OK this year.

White - plays the 5th guard club captain leadership with minimal minutes role.

I think this'd be great for Bevo's young gun & run style with enough mix of quality veterans in there too.

And before someone tells me we'll suck anyway, that's why we need to back the youth!

Topic #44555 | Report this topic

Air Delay  
Years ago

PS - no need for spreading $$$$ over 3 imports when we need to get ONE gun...

Reply #725513 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Ogilvy won't be back

Reply #725514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really need to get that NBA fringe player like Patterson or Cotton and stop getting 1 good import and 2 shit ones.

Jett has been the only guy worth watching out of the 3 so would love to have him back. His defense and ability to get to the hoop is great. Just needs to stop shooting 3s

Reply #725515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naar and Moller would be teaming up again, won two national championships with Sydney boys. Would be a lot better team but fringe semi finals. Get one gun import point guard that also plays D, Casper Ware type though Ware sometimes plays iso ball to much. Moller at the four would be good as would get lot more ball like in Hobart and makes good decisions. Moller still under contract though it might be an option??.

Reply #725517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naar is a back up at best or needs to go

Reply #725521 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Pretty hard for any Aussie PGs to be a starter.

@ Melbourne Boy, do you think AJ would choose retirement instead?

I believe UTD have a an option in their favour for Moller, but may be open to freeing him up if they chase an import 4 in 2019/20.

Reply #725523 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I have a soft spot for the Hawks, having lived and worked in the Illawarra/Shoalhaven/ Wingecarribee for most of the 90s.

They always used to be very competitive, and had good community engagement.

If they can get Moller, he could become a 20 min pf. That could free up a spot for an import 5. Good Aussie bigs are hard to attract in their prime.

Near and Grida should be priorities, try to lock them in for a few years to have them when they're entering their prime and hope there’s more money available to keep them longer.

Andersen is still quality, but his minutes will keep reducing. If Illawarra can get a stretch 4 from college, he could become a mentor.

Unfortunately this is all predicated upon Illawarra being in for the long haul, and the NBL supporting this.

Reply #725527 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

1. GUN SCORING IMPORT 1/2 / Naar /White
2. Jett (value 4 $) / Glover
3. Blanchfield. / Grida
4. STEAL Moller. / Coenraad
5. Ando. / AJ

Any team that has a starting lineup featuring Jordair Jett (alone) is certain to embrace mediocrity.

Any team that has a starting lineup featuring Jordair Jett, Craig Moller and Andersen, is certain to finish last*.

* - Depends on whether Cairns is still in the league.

Reply #725530 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

OK, lovebroker, so give us your plans... We're battlers, we embrace it, but how do we compete with the big money clubs?

Gambling on former MVPs hasn't panned out, so I'm thinking youth policy is the best bet, but tell me a better plan?

Reply #725532 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Moller's no starter.

Great energy guy to bring in off the bench. But not someone you’d want to consistently start and play for half a game if you’re aiming for playoffs.

Agree with Lovebroker’s last post too. Sure the Hawkies don’t have the $ to splash on big time players, but doesn’t mean they can’t work hard to unearth/sign a few gems.

Speaking of $, do any of the battler clubs see any cash that was supposed to be parlayed from other clubs overspending et al? Apologies for the vagueness as I don’t even know if this is still applicable to the league.

Reply #725560 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

I like what the Hawks have done, unearthing guys like Grida and Naar, and getting the most out of Blanchfield after a few disappointing seasons with SYD and Utd. Getting young guys like this, or guys on bigger teams looking for more opportunity should be the way to go. If they can add at least one high end import, and with the coaching of Bevo, you never know. I think if they commit to building a good, strong, young, local core like Adelaide have managed to do under Wright, they could do some damage. Obviously the financial/ownership situation needs to sort itself out as well, unfortunately.

Reply #725570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks should look at next year

Deng Deng replace Tim conraad
Majok Majok backuo centre
Acouth Deng backup PF C
Clint Steindl Backup GF
Tohi smith milner Backup FWD

Let AJ go, his salary would be all of above, Win win for everyone players above get more minute then what there getting now

Reply #725589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Confining Naar and Moller to bench players at 24 is a bit early in their careers, Sobey, didn't crack it till 27, Goulding about same and others.

Reply #725590 | Report this post

RJL  
Years ago

I think the Hawks have five contracted for next season - Blanchfield, Coenraad, Naar, Grida, Glover - leaving 6 spots to fill. I'd like to see something like:

1. Naar / White /
2. IMPORT 1/2 / Jett (IMP) / Glover
3. Blanchfield / Grida
4. IMPORT 4/5 / Coenraad
5. Aussie Big / Anderson
'
I like the energy Grida brings and wouldn't even mind him starting over Blanchfield. Don't care about his age. Same with Naar.

Not interested in bringing either of the other imports back for a second year based on current performances.

Reply #725608 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Nice RJL!

I'd be happy with Matty Hodgson...

Reply #725660 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Andersen is done, one good game doesn't make up for every other game he has played for the Hawks, he is now a liability.

Reply #725751 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

Bevo will be gone next year

Reply #726022 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

Please no! Not Moller. I think he is the most over-rated player in the league. I know the Hawks are a budget team but seriously. The most obvious thing the Hawks could do is find and NBA new Star like Sydney have done with Bowen. Under that scheme Bowen's salary, as I understand it, is paid for by the NBL.
Grida and Naar and to a lesser extent Glover are a youthful future around which a solid team can be built. Let’s just hope there are the dollars around to get it done

Reply #726111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^
Premiership at Melbourne and Hobart, played for Australia, I wish I was that overrated.

Reply #726114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um you kinda just proved that he is overrated....

Reply #726117 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Andersen is done, one good game doesn't make up for every other game he has played for the Hawks, he is now a liability."

He has scored 47 points at 54% FG in 61 minutes as a starter.

Reply #726120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well coaches don't think he’s overrated, but we no they no shit, hoops posters know all.

Reply #726124 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Ando's scoring almost 10 a game in less than half a game & has definitely still got it.

Bevo LOVES our community & with the King's going well, & this unlikely to ditch Gaze, even the lure of triple the salary won't steal Bevo away...

I wouldn't be surprised if Lisch comes back next year either! You read it here first! : )

Reply #726132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@air delay
Bevo will be with lisch next season at kings, new owners at kings, i for one hope Gaze is still there as he is great for the league, maybe Gaze to the hawks.

Reply #726191 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754