Wendy Byrd
Years ago

Where do you rank James harden all time?

One of the most incredible players we've ever seen

Topic #44570 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

in the all time top 30 already I reckon

Reply #725806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Today he was good enough to get his team past the reigning champs + 3 refs

Reply #725807 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

that missed out of bounds call on KD was unbelievable in every element, both live and the fact it wasn't reviewed... surely they can see that it was out and wipe the previous score and take the game clock back to when he was out? Almost cost the Rockets the game bar Harden's incredible shot...

Reply #725812 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Yeah he is amazing. The fact that he can do a Michael flatley impression without dribbling the ball before every shot and not get called for travel is amazing.

Reply #725815 | Report this post

jimjimthedogboy  
Years ago

I find it hard to compare players like Harden to other eras. Offensively he can pretty much do whatever he wants, and has added a passing game to his repertoire. The attention he draws, mobility, and legitimate range makes opportunities for others. He obviously makes the most of the nature of the officiating, but I have to assume he would be capable of adjusting as required. However, he is such a selective defender, and at times just not shown up to critical games.

Reply #725820 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He looked to be fading badly in the fourth quarter chucking up garbage until the end of regulation and then that OT winner. I'm in two minds.

Reply #725832 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Can shoot. I don't see much else.

Reply #725845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

214th

Reply #725847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way is he above 219th. Idiot!

Reply #725851 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not very high.

Reply #725854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will Reserve judgement until he plays for the USA in the upcoming international tournaments where the referees will call the game as per FIBA rules and not the NBA/Playground rules.

Reply #725998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden played the 2012 olympics and was very good under fiba rules so maybe you just don't like him?

Reply #725999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld with the classic line "I'm in two minds"
Yes Perthworld and Manu Fieldel.
Dickheads.

Reply #726005 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Can't get our names out your mouth. How do we taste?

Reply #726010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fieldel is a wanker.
Why choose a wanker TV chef for username? Can't think of something better.

Reply #726012 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Can't imagine anyone ever being able to score so easily in isolation before. Not sure about all-time but he is right now the third best in the game behind LBJ and Giannis imo (hard to gauge tho). Davis has the best PER this season but I feel he should be getting more wins out of his team. Harden's usage is so much higher than anyone else in the league and he is only a fraction above Giannis in PER.

To truly gauge exactly what Harden is doing, we would have to put guys like Kyrie, Durant, Dame, Curry in his situation (the only go-to guy on the team with shooters all around to space the floor) with usage rate of 39, and see what they can do. I don't know what to make of what Harden is doing. Kyrie has a bunch of other guys, Durant has Steph and Klay, Dame has CJ. Harden has no one else rn. When Paul is healthy and playing, Harden's numbers become so much less spectacular.

To his credit, he is doing it against all different types of P&R coverages, and making quick adjustments as to how to beat the different looks. But from the Houston games I've seen, teams are just not mentally locked in for the entire game and go away from their game plans. Come playoffs when teams are locked in for the full 48, that's when you see his percentages drop and everyone calls him a choker. Maybe if he wasn't so historic all the time in the regular season, people would cut him some slack in playoffs.

Reply #726017 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Houston has no Eric Gordon right now either, so it is literally all Harden. His usage rate hasn't been below 42.2 since the Spurs game

Reply #726021 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

IMO Harden exemplifies just about all of the least enjoyable aspects of the NBA today for me. Shoots a ton of 3s, gets to the line even more, and shouldn't even bother dribbling with how many steps he gets away with on just about every drive to the hoop. His highlight reel looks great, but his style (and the Rockets style) makes for more dull moments than brilliance over 48 minutes for me.

Reply #726026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually apart from the constant flopping in a direct attempt to get a foul call every time what he is doing has to be respected. He's just playing within the rules being set by the referees in the NBA.

So no I don’t not like him I’d just rather see him play like the way he did in the 2012 Olympics when he played actual basketball and looked good doing it and not playing the current NBA version where the offensive player is given all the advantages that can possibly be given.

Reply #726031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely number one all-time for defensive ineptitude.

Reply #726033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon above he's not actually defensively inept, but more like lebron apathetic to it. If you've put time in and watched games this season when he tries he's actually at least an average defender. You clearly didn't see the game yesterday when he had two big blocks at crucial times

Reply #726051 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agree that he is playing within the rules - I think what he has done is a bit genius really, which is basically take it to the extreme of what he can get away with within the NBA system, so "take advantage of the rules" maybe a better term for it. He's the best at that in the league. Don't enjoy watching it though.

Reply #726052 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That's why I'm in two minds. It will be interesting if he plays at the World Cup.

Reply #726059 | Report this post

Nothing is funnier comparing current/modern NBA players to those of the past.

The game is completely different/unrecognisable to the previous eras.

First and foremost, at least half of the shots taken in the modern NBA, if they were taken years ago, such players would have been hooked immediately. Today it is the norm. If they miss and miss badly, who cares. This is because there are so many more posessions, each posession becomes diluted.

Everyone brags on about players like Westbrooke, Harden, Simmons, triple doubles etc etc, well what is the big deal when there are so many more posessions mmeaning more shots, more chance for assists and rebounds?

Secondly, the defense. Dont even get me started. Especially in the first qtr of games, the intensity of games defensively is laughable. Most resemble nothing more than an all star game.

The NBA game has turned to junk. NBA executives have essentially prostituted the game because that is what the public wants to see, just scoring, high scoring, which translates to bigger crowds, ratings and hence bigger pay packets for everyone from players to NBA executives.

If anyone even tries to play D, the referees just penalise them.

Reply #726167 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

All I know is I put a bet on Harden for MVP over the weekend at $6.50 and the next morning it was $2.75. :D

Come at me cash out value!

Reply #726533 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Watching highlights and Harden's chucking didn't work this morning -- 0-4 3pt FG in the final two minutes vs. Bucks. Great when it works but when it doesn't it's ugly. Season 10/33 (30%) in final 2:00 for the season.

Reply #727187 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Actually 10/37 (27%) overall now adding today.

Reply #727188 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

By the end of the season harden could be talked about as the second best SG of all time. It's unreal what he's doing right now

Reply #727758 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

The great man has done it again!

Reply #728220 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

This is how Kobe used to play, except Harden is actually efficient and can score at a higher rate. I agree at the end of his career he'll be the second best SG of all time.

Reply #728222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"anon above he's not actually defensively inept, but more like lebron apathetic to it. If you've put time in and watched games this season when he tries he's actually at least an average defender. You clearly didn't see the game yesterday when he had two big blocks at crucial times"

Two big blocks? THat's a very small part of defence, but it's all you'd see if you only watch the ball, which funnily enough is what Harden does. Would have to be close to the worst off-ball defender in NBA history, which coupled with his very inconsistent on-ball defence (which ranges from appalling to ok) means the adept tag is pretty apt.

Reply #728258 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

Harden rates as average defensively in advanced metrics and otherworldly on offence. Overall, he's the best player in the league so far.

Reply #728269 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

Har-den! 58 more big ones today. I don't believe anyone, including LeBron, could do what he's doing right now.

Reply #728679 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:14 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754