Jack Toft
Years ago

Hawks v Kings Dec 5

Ah, the NSW Derby, or as Queenslanders call it, the "cockroach cup"

Top of table Sydney jump on a bus to square up against the Hawks. Illawarra's season is slowly slipping away and they have almost gone from contenders to pretenders. Lose this game and they end up 7 & 11. There's 28 games in a season so make finals your team need 15 wins. They would need to win 80% of their remaining games, then hope Cairns causes a bit of trouble for results to go their way. You can't rely on the miracle of results going your way to make finals and win a flag unless you're the Vatican team.

The Hawks have nothing to lose today and if Sydney go in too confidently and don't give them the respect they deserve, an upset looms.

I'm expecting a game of two halves. The Hawks to be competitive in the first half, but Sydney to pull away in the 3rd and clear the bench in the 4th.

Sydney by a Baker's Dozen

Topic #44575 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings to end Hawks season.

Reply #726014 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

...and Ithought that Bris would do that to Cairns, didn't we all?

Reply #726015 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Should be an easy Kings win, but the Hawks are more than grindy enough for an upset. Hoping for a good game either way... kinda regret not making the trip down to Wollongong for this one.

Reply #726024 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I'm not so sure guys. I think the Kings look more together, happier and more into team success as a group than the Hawks do this year. Usually it is reversed but I think the Hawks have a couple of personalities within their lineup who are detracting from their togetherness. Most unlike a Bevo coached team

Reply #726034 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Sorry I mean I agree Kings win in a romp

Reply #726035 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

With the Kings stifling defence they could hold this offensively inept Hawks team to a seriously low score if they wanted to hopefully it doesn't happen after the flogging they took on NYE.

Reply #726055 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Heal: "It's paying dividends"

Yes Shane, unlike your businesses that paid out nothing to investors.

Reply #726057 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

3rd Hungry Jacks gift from Kickert this season... at least the home team fans get to take advantage this time.

Reply #726063 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kickert doing his best Conger impersonation early.

Reply #726065 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Is this the most most vocal and most involved the 'Gong fans have been all season?

Sounds like the good old days. I hope those at the game tell their friends and crowds pick up.

Reply #726066 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Crowd size?

Reply #726067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bowen nba, lol

Reply #726068 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings look like they're still nursing new years eve hangovers.

Reply #726069 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

@UTA it's a derby that's why.

Reply #726070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This bloke with the lisp commentating is god awful. Everything is the best thing he's ever seen and if you drink every time he says 'forthcoming’ you’ll be off ya rocker by half time

Reply #726071 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

PW

I know how close they are geographically, but the crowd is def louder for Illawarra.

Their crowds have been crappily small and uninvolved. Gotta look for something to build from.

Reply #726073 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Bogut trying to calm Gaze and get him back on task.

Reply #726074 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't know if it was just the timer they had on the screen, but the clock stuck on 1 second for about 3 seconds on that last shot. Might have been what Gaze was upset about?

Reply #726075 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I guess one positive for Sydney is that usually the Kings wait until the second half to score 26 points in two quarters. Maybe a big 3rd and 4th Qs to come.

Reply #726076 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gibbo posted a vid on Twitter. The clock operator stopped the clock at 2 seconds for some reason.

Reply #726077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

50 seats short of sell out. Over 4000 you would think.

Reply #726079 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Angus, the TV clock often bears no relation to the stadium clock.

Either way the shot was clearly released before time expired, so it should have counted.

Reply #726080 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

You could see it on the clock on the replay they showed after half time KR. The on screen clock was correct.

Reply #726081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did Matt Campbell talk about at halftime

Reply #726082 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Interesting tid bit from the commentary team re: Conklin and Ced.

Reply #726083 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Two fugly shots in a row by Bogut hands momentum back to Illawarra.

Reply #726084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope Adnam gets a tech here for being a little b*tch.
He already got the USF call his way. Should have taken it and walked away.

Reply #726085 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I actually think Adnam would handle Ogilvy, if push came to shove.

Reply #726086 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You could see it on the clock on the replay they showed after half time KR. The on screen clock was correct.
It presumably stopped at some point but it wasn't at two seconds.

But again, it doesn't matter. Shot was released before the buzzer, should have counted.

Reply #726087 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Only saw the second half but great effort from Hawks so far. I like the lineups much better in this game ie. playing Ced and Conklin less

Reply #726088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawk offence choking horribly in the 4th

Reply #726090 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Randle is bricking the kings out of this

Reply #726091 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

how is that unsportsmanlike? Heavy contact yes but Bogut was legitimately making a play for the block. Refs shouldn't be influenced by the crowd

Reply #726093 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings don't deserve this, but I’m a little bit sick of these ridiculous unsportsmanlike calls.

Reply #726094 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If Conklin doesn't make that call himself the refs don’t even review that foul.

Reply #726095 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Down 3, why would the Kings foul when they had a chance to force a miss and have about 10 seconds to get a score?

Reply #726096 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Agreed AngusH.. couldn't have said it better

Reply #726097 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If Conklin doesn't make that call himself the refs don't even review that foul.

I came here to post something every similar. Potentially a match-winning appeal by Conk.

Reply #726098 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't think it was an unreasonable call. Borderline for me.

Reply #726099 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Well at least we found one person who thinks so.

Reply #726100 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Tough call but the hand on the shoulder before the swipe made it look bad

Reply #726101 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Yes it certainly was a match winning appeal.. but this isn't cricket.

Reply #726102 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings shooting was bound to return to the mean at some point, but a disappointing ending all the same. Really hope the unsportsmanlike rule gets a hard look this offseason, because at this point I think something like 2/3rds of the ones being called are garbage.

Reply #726103 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Well ..... two titanic battles

1) which coach can have the worst 5 on the court to win at the end of the game

2) which import will do the worst job in the last 5 minal minutes to ensure a loss ?

1) Andrew gaze not having bogut fronting the inbounds pass is just is slightly more effective than Bevo who refused to play his most effective player of the game

2) Randle ( I can shoot) just edges out Jackson ( I can dribble into danger anytime).

Reply #726105 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

If Bogut was looking to block the shot, he would have been reaching up, and almost certainly would have got it, he did not complain becasue he knew that he decided to stop the shot by hacking down as per NBA, and forgot that it would be called unsportsman like in the NBL and FIBA rules

Reply #726106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three upsets in a row, welcome 2019

Reply #726107 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Whoa!

Reply #726108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unsportsmanlike foul Criteria 2, excessive, hard contact caused by a player in an effort to play the ball or an opponent.

Reply #726122 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

I try so hard to follow this league but if that's an unsportsmanlike I'm out. No other serious league in the world is calling that. Stop trying to be a hero and influence the game and let the players decide it. Down 1, Bogut is in the air, desperation kicks in to stop a bucket. Heavy contact because if he doesn't it could be and 1. Is Conklin hurt? No. Explain to me logically what Bogut should do there? I guess with his time again just let Conklin score the 2. I understand the strict interpretation but how about some common sense? Does anyone, outside of Illawarra fans, objectively want to see that called? Conklin makes 2, Hawks are up 3, if someone from Kings can make a play they can still win otherwise Hawks win. Again, PLAYERS decide. Ridiculous.

Reply #726129 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

It sounded like the commentators were saying two of the Hawks players don't like each other? Who were they?

Reply #726135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks beat the top 2 teams but lost to the bullets?

Reply #726137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See ya Duncan. p.s we all know you're not "out". Same as we know people who say they mute the commentary don't really do it cause they always know what's been said each game. The posters are the same on here that have been saying they're "out" for 10 years lol. See you next game Duncs!

Reply #726140 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

The lisping guy is Nathan Strempel. Absolutely terrible commentator, the way he sucks up to Heal is nauseating.

Reply #726141 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No other serious league in the world is calling that.
TIL the NBA is the only serious league in the world.

Explain to me logically what Bogut should do there? I guess with his time again just let Conklin score the 2.
Correct. Because defensive players shouldn't be able to make up for errors by whacking people. It's not rocket science.

Reply #726145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duncan, it's the rules idiot. Go google Euroleague then come back.

Reply #726147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game is turning into netball, waiting for officials to call contact, have to be a metre off the ball defensively, can only block shots going straight up. The whole unsportsmanlike foul is a joke, even coaches on the right end of the call aren't a fan. Having to foul in final minute is always a lottery with the whole play at the ball interpretation.
How about the nbl say screw fiba and get rid of those rules, is that possible. Have those rule changes improved the game, of course not. I can see the clear path foul maybe, but it's a good strategy by the defence.
That Bogut foul was ridiculous, as pointed out, if Conklin hadn't made a big deal it wouldn't have been called. May not have definitely changed the outcome but gave the Hawk's and unfair advantage.

Reply #726148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ciao Duncan

Reply #726151 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Duncan, have you seen what the NBA refs hand out techs for? Different call but same sentiment.

If Heal has a remotely reasonable sense of himself, he must surely cringe every time Barkley gets raised.

Reply #726152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad days for the Kings and Gaze. The sooner the season ends and the Kings don't renew his contract. This from a very loyal supporter of the Kings.

Reply #726157 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Ummm...aren't the Kings second place temporarily until the Breakers Wildcats game? If 1st place is unacceptable to you perhaps give up sport?

Reply #726163 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Isaac for once I felt sorry for Heal when that Nafan dude brought it up. You could tell there was a notable pause between it and Shane's forced reply after thinking to himself "FML".

Reply #726169 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

^^^ thanks anon. I live in Europe and play over here but Will do sir.

Copping some heat, that's fine. My argument is not that by Interpretation it shouldn't be unsportsmanlike. My argument is 1) I don't like the Interpretation, but that's another story. I think we can agree there was a time it wouldn't have got a second look. But 2) just objectively as a fan I would rather cooler heads prevail, as mentioned earlier IF Conklin didn't ask for it they probably don't call it, then even IF Conklin makes both Lisch or someone taking a 3 to take it to OT is far more entertaining than the foul and ft fest that followed.

Anyway, I'm off to Google euroleague. Is it like Eurovision where Australian teams can enter?

Reply #726171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wildcats back on top bois

Reply #726175 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

The standard of refereeing in the game was embarrassing. I took several people to the game who have either not been in 15 years or never have. We get treated to 57 free throws, 3 long and non required reviews, and an overall horrible game. Yeah it was close, that's about it.

The halftime review went for 5 minutes, teams had already left as soon as the buzzer sounded, and Sydney came out and had to go back inside the rooms when they entertainment meant they couldn't do shootaround.

Basketball is a judgement call game, every single call aside from out of bounds and made shots. 'Rules' in the game are open to interpretation, and yesterday were wrong far too often. Calling an unsportsmanlike on Bogut (gladly I had left about 1 minute prior to that or I'd have lost my shit) on that play is why you have so many FTA.

That female ref should be replaced with someone competent. The other two weren't far behind.

Reply #726183 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

relax everyone, the refereeeing problems in australia are soon to be over, all fixed after jan 15.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/michael-haynes-ready-to-put-out-wnbl-firestorm-20181213-p50lz0.html

https://australia.basketball/michael-haynes-appointed-head-of-officials/

although ....

Reply #726197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warren Smith said it best a few months ago. If you think the standard of officiating is holding your game back from growing you're absolutely dreaming. The new fans you're trying to attract barely even know it exists. But dream on. My favourite is the "I'm out" every week. But posting the next week for 10 years.

Reply #726204 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Calling an unsportsmanlike on Bogut (gladly I had left about 1 minute prior to that or I'd have lost my shit) on that play is why you have so many FTA.
A USF results in the same number of FTA as a common foul in that situation.

Reply #726212 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I struggle to understand why the people who get so incensed about flopping being a blight on the game are usually the strongest supporters of intentional fouling. There is zero sportsmanship or skill in deliberately breaking the rules by thumping or grabbing the arm of someone who's outplayed you. But so many people see this sort of cheating as not merely acceptable but recommended behaviour, while abhorring a flop. I've never got that double standard and I never will.

Reply #726215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Wear will be the reason the Kings won't win the title. One of the worst imports in NBL history.

Reply #726260 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Kobe, I know the fta on that play are the same, plus possession. My point is the fact they'd call the game so tight as to make that unsportsmanlike reflects how they called it all game.

Sydney went from their first FTA in the final 80 secs of the game 2 weeks ago v Ill to 31 attempts yesterday.

The teams didn't change in the matchup, the ref's did.

Reply #726290 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

My point is the fact they'd call the game so tight as to make that unsportsmanlike reflects how they called it all game.
How dare the refs enforce the rules! Those bastards!

Reply #726293 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754