Jack Toft
Years ago

Brisbane v Melbourne Jan 6

Brisbane return from Cairns licking their wounds to face the title favourites, Melbourne. It's a funny old game basketball. Cairns are Brisbane’s bogie team and Brisbane is Melbourne’s bogie team.

Melbourne will be seeking to reclaim top spot. Seems there’s a lot of re-claiming happening in Melbourne this weekend, but no riot police needed for this game. Brisbane are looking to come back strongly after having their bananas bent in Cairns to leap frog Adelaide into 4th. I’m pretty sure Bairstow is still out (?) so you would think the Bullets need to fire up another gun. The boys from the organic soy latte centre of Australia are at full strength so there’s no need for an 18% man tax tonight.

The game is on the Gold Coast. Familiar territory for some of the Bullets players who can return to some of their old party spots after the game. I think a "neutral" venue might play into the hands of United a little bit more than the Bullets. Just remember you don't need to drop money into the meters on the Goldie, they have girls in golden bikinis that do that for you.

So far this in 2019 it’s been upset after upset so I don’t think either team wants the mantle of favourite. That mantle is being tossed around like a game of pass the pass in a Belfast pub.

Surely Melbourne can’t drop this undroppable game...……

Topic #44581 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kennedy out, will the upsets continue, though when Prather went down last season Melbourne got better. Who knows who will win, it's a world class league,anyone can win. :)

Reply #726275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game and fast.

Reply #726294 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yep, enjoying it.

Reply #726295 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

AJ Davis on.

Reply #726302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Davis looks shorter than 208

Reply #726307 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Duh, he's 206

Reply #726309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand how teams don't have spare uniforms lol. We've even seen players need to switch jersey numbers mid-game before in other games because they don't have spares for each player.

Reply #726312 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Video Vaughan strikes again. Reviews time left and gets it wrong.

Reply #726314 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ Umm, have you seen what FirstEver gear costs? ;)

Reply #726316 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Will Melbourne see out the match. Casper is drained and the game has slowed to a crawl. Brisbane look more composed, and look a little better at the half.

Reply #726317 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I'm wondering if Cadee can hit a 3 off his right hand dribble at all, I see him hit it a lot going left ( easy mechanics where the left hand just cups under the upcomming ball, brings it up,over and down onto the alreay positioned elevated right hand) - but I can't remember seeing him go right and hitting it much - ?

Reply #726318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of uniforms, not a good look that jerseys are being worn with screen printed sponsor logos for a bunch of teams now. Yep the sponsors only came in after the season started, but it's not expensive to have a new set produced and sent from China to maintain a professional look.

Reply #726319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another upsets happening, to much iso ball from Ware.

Reply #726320 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Is the NBL planning on this Bris bs Melb game on the GC continuing after this season?

I wanted to go this one, but heard it was a sellout.

Reply #726321 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So Cadee isn't the only NBL player involved in a car crash now.

Can't wait for the feature story on it.

Reply #726322 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Brisbane grabbing ascendency. Tell by Vickerman in TO.

Reply #726323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb comment Perthworld, Cadee could have been killed whereas Kennedy's crash is very minor.

Reply #726324 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Vukona= Junkyard dog?

Wasn't there an old school player with that nickname already?

Reply #726325 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Interesting pre-inbound pass by Melbourne to end Q3.

Clock starts once ball is touched in court or touches floor in court, doesn't it. I haven’t seen that done for a while.

If it was drawn up by Vickerman, he must be thinking that every point is going to be needed.

Reply #726327 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Q4 Who will close it out Patterson or Ware/Goulding.? I put my money on Patterson!

Reply #726328 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's great to keep the Gold Coast market warm. With two failed teams in the past, it would be unlikely to get a "third time lucky" team. There seems to be a very difficult market to tame for any sport.

(Brisbane) Bears failed in the AFL. Suns are propped up by the AFL.
League: There has been at least 2 teams go sour
Soccer: One team went bad too

Reply #726330 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I'm surprised how much of a non-factor Boone has been lately.

Has been a premier frontcourt player the past two seasons but seems super passive this season.

Reply #726331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clock starts once the ball is touched by a player

Reply #726332 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Yeah GC has no private industry big enough to provide big sponsorship $. The largest employer is the Council. I know people involved in both Suns and Titans management. They're both dependant on their leagues. Basketball is cheaper team to run though.

I suspect that the NBL is doing what the AFL do for suns games- rely on selling tickets to Melbournians.

Reply #726333 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

332 isn't that a player on court?

Reply #726334 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Ben

Boone is the prototypical avocado import this season:
Exotic, looks good, smooth and adds flavour.
But expensive, gets smashed and gets served on toast.
Avocado gets bitter when cooked.

It's sad, but I reckon Boone is badly cooked. He was great to watch for 2 seasons, but not impacting games this season.

Reply #726335 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Bairstow has had 3 opportunities to ice but can't seem to convert! Could be a Casper special?

Reply #726336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does Boon wear an Under Armour sweat band and Nikes at the same time?

Reply #726338 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Patterson is class. Gonna win the game for his team by feeding them points, not playing hero ball.

Reply #726339 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Looks like it will have to be Casper on his own! Good sub with Hodgson on. Bairstow could never have made that bucket! Brisbane to finish.

Reply #726340 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

UseTaHoop: not sure if you've used that analogy before, but classic.

Reply #726343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbanes biggest home crowd for the year is the one not actually played in Brisbane lol

Reply #726344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You said or ball touches the court

Reply #726345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullet train is back on schedule

Reply #726347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing Pledger and Smith- Milner at the same time defensively was not a good idea for Melbourne, Great game of basketball though.

What a competition the nbl have here.

Reply #726349 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Why does Boon wear an Under Armour sweat band and Nikes at the same time?

It's what he found at the Victoria Markets

Reply #726354 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I hate watching UTD's let's just run something for Ware or Goulding style of play... They do it waaaay to often.

Problem is when you have the best players, depth & talent, you often get away with it, so whilst I was still cheering for UTD today it was great to see the better coached team get the W.

Well done Andre & the Bullets.

PS - how good did McCarron & Moller play in a losing effort?! : ( Those guys deserve to be leading Aussie players on teams.

PPS - Loving Matty Hodgson this season too!

Reply #726361 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

UseTaHoop

Vukona= Junkyard dog?

Wasn't there an old school player with that nickname already?

Wayne Larkins of Nunawading Spectres.

Reply #726365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wayne Larkins was "The Dog"

Junkyard Dog was Jerome Williams who played for the Toronto Raptors

Reply #726368 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Dean Laidley in his AFL playing days was nicknamed the junkyard dog.

Reply #726369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes thought McCarron and Moller were very good in a loss, Barlow seems to be slowing as season goes on, coaches worked out how to attack him under the rack for easier lay ups. Brisbane on there day are very good.

Reply #726370 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I know DeMarre Carrol as the Junkyard Dog

Reply #726374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The JYD was a WWE wrestler.

Reply #726402 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Has anyone discussed Gliddon stepping in front of people and collecting a charge.

Poor form from Gliddon and worse from the refs who call it.

Reply #726418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lots of free tickets given away by bullets including players on social media asking people to contact them to get freebies. While crowd number was great, not sure how many tickets were actually sold?

Reply #726472 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Has anyone discussed Gliddon stepping in front of people and collecting a charge."

He's far from the first player to do so. It's something Damian Martin has done a few times, along with a number of others. Poor that the refs call it, but symptomatic of the fact there isn't a cohesive strategy of how the game is called here.

Reply #726473 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I thought the Goulding charge was fair enough. But the Boone example should have been a block. Just the circumstances. You can't have players jumping in front of opponents in the mid court, suckering charges. It is totally against the spirit of the game.

Reply #726538 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

The Goulding charge was just him trying to make a cut through the key. Players could attempt to take that charge 20 times a game if they wanted.

Surely it should only be a charge if it is in direct play with the ball??

Reply #726546 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:24 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754