Anonymous
Years ago

D Day looming for Perth import change

Time is fast running out for Perth to make an import change or add import.
The new player would have to be playing no later than Jan 20th.

Do Perth sit on their hands or show some guts and make a change.

Does Jervis, Hire or Wagstaff retire?
Do they upgrade White?
If I were GM I would be asking Jervis to retire.

Thoughts people.....

Topic #44584 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

I need a few more threads on the topic to really make my mind up one way or the other.

Reply #726372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those threads were too early Grand Angus.
It really is now decision time.

Reply #726373 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

Think Wildcats is chasing Christian Wood

Reply #726376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're not making a change.

Reply #726377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should.
Brisbane have.

Reply #726379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep bullets are undefeated since adding a 3rd import

Reply #726380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The same Christian Wood that's under contract with the Bucks?

Reply #726381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth 2-0 v Cairns
0-6 v anyone else since end of November.
Stevie Wonder can see a third import is required.

Reply #726385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank goodness there is finally a thread where we can talk about Perth and whether they should get a 3rd import. Of course they should and they should also get a 4th just to be sure.

Reply #726393 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

The last time I saw so many old threads was at a 70s theme night.

Reply #726395 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I previously thought they should replace White, but with how little they are getting from Jervis and the drop in Brandt's game I think they need an inside presence. It's a tough one because they also need to improve their shooting, but I think a better inside presence could create better looks to achieve that, and also help them generate more from their D.

Reply #726415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankyou Paul for a logical response.

Reply #726416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Paul, a third import would clearly have stopped Norton taking multiple ill-advised shots today, have made Jarvis fumble the ball less (and all season probably), and would have allowed Gleeson to react quicker to Wesley being subbed back in today where he immediately scored twice on Vague.

Reply #726417 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perth 2-0 v Cairns
0-6 v anyone else since end of November.
Stevie Wonder can see a third import is required.

Been saying this for a month now yet apparently it's not needed and been trolled incessantly for it.

Reply #726424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, PerthWorld is obviously not a Loyal Perth Fan, as apparently Being "Loyal" means never making changes, never letting players retire, and believing we'd still be winning championships with Vlahov and Grace playing, coached by Bruton.

Reply #726435 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

DW PW, they're only parasite kids. I've learned that the particular anon trolls here won't respond to reason and keep jousting. So just like ignorant pricks irl, you just walk away/ignore them.

Yeah they need something extra, Perth. White is only just okay, but I feel he should be better. Imagine if they had Devondrick Walker for this season. Did Perth not try to get him back? Problem with Brandt is that he seems to go missing when the team does. Was a ghost in the second half of last season when he needed to step up and cover the loss of Knight. I would probably get myself an import centre if I were Perth, and use it as a threat to Brandt's long-term starting spot. Mike Dunigan prime candidate. Kay and Norton keep plugging away, I'd be happy enough with their consistency if I were Perth.
As much as I hate to say it, they will be fine. Home court first round is a probability rather than a possibility imo

Reply #726436 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

People talking about Overpaying Cotton are full of shit.
You don't know how much he's getting, so its pointless speculating. For all we know he could be giving fantastic value for money.
With all the hype about White, there is no evidence he's playing for peanuts. He would have been on about $30k USD a month in Korea. Considering how much finals are worth to Perth, it wouldn't be worthwhile to cheap out.

For all those saying "he's not the problem" you're missing the point. He's part of the problem, and he's the one they can replace. Not saying they'll find a replacement, but if they haven't been actively looking then they should be sacked.

As for a third import, well in part the money available depends on who they replace, and whether the new import must be part of the bench cap.

I think I'm kinda with Paul on this.
Before the start of the season, I assumed we'd get a legit SF as a starter, and thought we should use the 3rd spot on a shooter for the bench. But between having an injured and undersized Brandt, and then Jervis, Wagstaff, Hire, and Vague not contributing enough, it seems we need another big.

Reply #726446 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Agree Manu a big is what Perth need. Kay has been great but needs help up front, in hindsight bringing back Jervis wasn't the right move.

Reply #726447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'I've learned that the particular anon trolls here won't respond to reason and keep jousting.'

This coming from the guy who says he uses ‘facts and statistics’, but disappears when asked to provide any. Don’t try and take some moral high ground Manu, because you’re only a tad behind PW when it comes to pointlessly needling people here.

PW has just repeated the same crap over and over (hashtag cheapout), without providing any sort of reasoning or analysis, apart from his cherry picked stats.

Reply #726449 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Reply #726459 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Reply #726460 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

@D2.0 Good summary.

Re: Cotton's salary - it has been published as $600K in print and even mentioned on TV by Lachie Reid.

Reply #726462 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah, PerthWorld is obviously not a Loyal Perth Fan, as apparently Being "Loyal" means never making changes, never letting players retire, and believing we'd still be winning championships with Vlahov and Grace playing, coached by Bruton.

:D

Reply #726463 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Over the weekend here in Perth there were whispers that Cats in fact did have a big we were looking at, but the deal fell through.

We definitely need to find one quicksmart, I think the deadline is 20th Jan? Jervis needs to be dumped.

Long has unlocked the cheat code for bigs in the NBL, shame he's the first import big to come along and realise that cheat code is in fact, "don't foul". Guy had 2 of the most monstrous games I've seen from a C in a long time.

Reply #726479 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

Long will be playing for the Wildcats next season.

Reply #726480 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[As much as I hate to say it, they will be fine. Home court first round is a probability rather than a possibility imo]

Perth (12-7) has 9 games left

4 of those 9 games are against United (11-7) and Sydney (11-6). 1 home and 1 away vs each. How these 4 games go will ultimately determine where Perth finishes.

The other 5 games- 4 of them are in Perth. Perth should win 3 or 4 of those 5, so if they can win 2 of the 4 vs United and Sydney, that gives them 5 or 6 wins and a finishing record of 17-11 or 18-10.

United (11-7) is sitting in 3rd spot but has only 4 home games left and 6 away games.

In other words, with their run of home games, Perth is definitely in the box seat to finish top 2.

Reply #726483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting Senator11.

What were the details of the big? That would mean sacking a local I would assume?

Reply #726584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When does Gleeson start getting in the frame for being cut. This team has had 3 seasons of terrible offensive output through large parts of the season.. Is it a case that a new coach with a new plan gives a new result .eg DD being cut at Melbourne

Reply #726590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think too many Perth fans would have an issue with a coaching change.

Reply #726596 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm not sure about that - he seems to be untouchable especially this time last season when anyone who criticised him got hounded.

Reply #726610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, Wrong. - Cotton is indeed earning $X0k per month - so sure 12 x $X0k = $Y00k - but imports don't get paid 12 months of the year. - I think an import like Cotton gets paid something like 7 or 8 months.

Reply #726611 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

If Gleeson goes then it'll be Nielsen team. Gleeson is a great recruiter though, that's why the Wildcats keep him.

Other coaches to poach would be Brisbane's coach.

Reply #726614 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"I don't think too many Perth fans would have an issue with a coaching change."

ROFL

So sure, we couldn't possibly replace an underperforming player, but absolutely lets sack the Coach. FFS.

And who exactly do you imagine doing the sacking?
Georgiu?

Bwahahahahahaha

He'd need to grow a pair, get a clue, and find the other half of his brain.

Reply #726685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is simply untrue Perthworld. Plenty of people were calling for his head last season.

Reply #726695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So sure, we couldn't possibly replace an underperforming player, but absolutely lets sack the Coach."

Um yes. Are you unfamiliar with how professional sports works?

Reply #726696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um no. Are you unfamiliar with AD?

Reply #726698 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"When does Gleeson start getting in the frame for being cut."

When he hasn't won three titles in the past five seasons and had the team in the top three the entire season, I'd guess.

Reply #726703 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Interesting Senator11.

What were the details of the big? That would mean sacking a local I would assume?"

Not sure, the rumblings were coming from a few guys who are known in the AFL fantasy scene here in Perth, tend to have a few contacts and don't tend to make things up so thats as much as I know.

On Gleeson being sacked, he's been too successful to get the sack. I think this will bite us at some stage when Nielson gets offered a head coaching gig and leaves. Would rather Gleeson left on his own accord and let Nielson take over in the next few years.

Reply #726707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is only one source out of Perth that I would trust but he has made it clear they won't be making any changes.

Reply #726709 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"He'd need to grow a pair, get a clue, and find the other half of his brain."

Perfect description of our placeholder GM. Love it.

--

#726695 some yes but were attacked by the majority for being haters.

--

If no changes is correct then that is appalling, yet no one is really firing up. Weak fanbase.

Reply #726713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"some yes but were attacked by the majority for being haters."

Again, that is untrue. Most people here were happy to have Gleeson replaced last year.

"If no changes is correct then that is appalling, yet no one is really firing up. Weak fanbase."

You know if you keep saying that over and over again, it doesn't suddenly have more meaning. The Cats don't need to make a change. They are second on the ladder, and have six of nine to play at home. They have a current obstacle to overcome of the second half (third quarter) fade outs. Bringing in a budget import won't change that. Cherry-picking some stats won't change that either. Comparing it to this time last year as if that proves a trend is moronic.

Reply #726715 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It is a trend. They're downing tools for the second season running and not willing to spend, with a yes man GM in charge.

Reply #726716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Comparing it to this time last year as if that proves a trend is moronic."

"It is a trend."

Couldn't have asked for a better response.

Reply #726718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Georgiou is too busy sitting on the bench for Lynx away games trying to look relevant

Reply #726720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are just as much a chance to win it as any team and with six games at home still will probably get first, not certain why you would make changes. Did you expect them to go unbeaten?. If the GF series is in Perth I no who would be favourites.

Reply #726723 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#726720 that's interesting - what a waste of time and resources.

Reply #726736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Predictable that PW bit at that nonsense. You're going so far down the path of bagging the club at every opportunity that you have lost any sense of reasoning.

Reply #726739 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#726720's tidbit was interesting and goes to show where priorities lie.

Reply #726740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really. It really says nothing about his role at the Wildcats.

Reply #726742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Weak fanbase."

It seems like about 80% of Perth posts are by you Perthworld so you are basically calling yourself weak which I agree with btw. this message board should replace you with an import.

Reply #726745 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yep, we're soft.

Reply #726746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld is the Derek Cooke Jr of this forum.

Reply #726747 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

At least I'm not the Troy Georgiou of this forum #starfish

Reply #726748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld is like a blocked toilet.
Full of shit.

Reply #726758 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Um yes. Are you unfamiliar with how professional sports works?"

What a moron

Clearly you have no idea of the current power structure in Perth.

Reply #726764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please explain then Dazz. Tell us why the coach is indispensable.

Reply #726767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

s fans if your team plays well , scores and defends in a sufficient manner but still loses. It hurts but you know they were in the game. It was close. Ive seen Illaware lose some close ones and they earn heaps of respect for getting so close with the talent they have. (even better props when they win)

Too many times in the last 3 seasons the cats are getting their pants pulled down with some of the worst visual spectacle of poor shooting and defense (the "6 point" debarcle) I think I have ever seen from the team as a fan back from the Burswood superdome days.

SO I dont really care where they sit as much as I am so fed up of this rubbish periods of play they seem to go through. Even with team changes it seems to be occuring every season. Yes some players should have been culled , but i think the coaching by Gleeson seems incapable of delivering a good offensive game or keeping his players properly motivated to do their job. If he truly believes his team can win it, then the problems we are seeing are his responsibility as coach.

Cotton was the reason gleeson won a championship a couple of years ago, his form was so good even DD as coach could of pulled it through. Ennis was the same before as well as Beveridge era players like Knight anchoring the front court.

To me coaching is about how you get through adversity, how you win when you dont have the hottest form player in the league, how you develope your bench and how you rotate and motivate players.

Sometimes Im am amazed he will have 4 non-scoring options on the court. In the old days if you have a guy that keeps missing etc he barely gets on the court.

Sick of excuses "we need to play wildcats basketball" - its his job as a coach to make it happen or move aside for someone else to do it.

Reply #726770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the burswood superdome days? which of the 2 days do you mean?

Reply #726773 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I legit laughed at the Burswood Superdome line. The rest of the post is so on point though, very nice.

Reply #726774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not on point on though. You just like it because it was critical.

While the losing streak isn't ideal, we’ve had double digit leads in most of those games. Obviously have lost the lead with shitty third quarters but we’ve shown we can match it with anyone, there is just a mental hurdle to overcome of the complacency. Having a third import or "scorer" isn’t going to solve that. Its just a lazy analysis of the issues.

Reply #726776 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

If a new import is needed. Who will it be. Who is available

Reply #726780 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Having a third import or "scorer" isn't going to solve that."

... or a change of coach either, according to you. So what, do nothing?

Reply #726785 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Anon #726776 calls Anon #726770's analysis "not on point" yet did not directly address any said points. Now that's lazy.

Anon #726776 also brings up the second half fadeouts and that a new import isn't the answer, yet there was a stat by posted with White (and Hure) out of the twelve man squad as not scoring at all in fourth quarters up until last week during. Lazy of you not knowing that.

You couldn't make this stuff up and I'm seriously thinking that some front office people are posting as anons since they're so defensive. Earlier today someone else brought up our GM issue and gets insta replied being called a moron. Hmmm...

Reply #726788 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

yet there was a stat posted by NBLstats last week with White (and Hire) out of the twelve man squad as not scoring at all during the fourth quarter*

Reply #726789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I addressed the entire post. Scoring is not the issue. We have the scorers, and we have shown we can put points on the board easily. It is the complacency that sets in amongst the whole team that is the problem.

Just because I didn't mention the coach, doesn’t mean I don’t think he isn’t the problem. I think he is a large part of it. The reason I didn’t mention him is because all you bang on about is the team not signing a third import. Or how you keep bringing up Cooke Jr last season when he wasn’t the problem either. That’s why you get called a moron.

Reply #726791 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

The players can't control the trash that is on the court every single 3rd quarter. That is Gleeson's job, and I a lineup of Vague, Hire, Wagstaff, Steindl and Norton can fuck right off. That is moronic.

Reply #726809 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Having a third import or "scorer" isn't going to solve that."

So, the team is shit, but making it not shit won't stop it being shit?

Basketball games ebb & flow, its part of the attraction. Removing your teams worst 10 minutes, and then saying "see we'd have won but for those 10 minutes" is just a pile of nonsensical, infantile, wank. Take Cairns worst 10 minutes from each game and they'd probably be on top of the ladder. Does that mean they don't suck?

Further analysing those 10 minutes is even more pointless.

Sure, if our existing players played better, we'd be a better team, go figure.

Ultimately it's hard to motivate guys to give 110%, when the Club doesn't appear serious about winning a championship, and when they see their teammates cruising.

Reply #726812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ultimately it's hard to motivate guys to give 110%"

So the team is shit, but its not the shit coach's job to make it less shit?

" Removing your teams worst 10 minutes, and then saying "see we'd have won but for those 10 minutes""

That is absolutely not what I did. The common complaint is we need a third scorer/import. All I have said is that the points are being put on the board just fine, its just there is complacency setting in no matter which five is on the court, and the lead diminishes very quickly. Maybe a third import could help here and there, or maybe the group as a whole needs to step up and not let the complacency set in.

"Sure, if our existing players played better, we'd be a better team, go figure."

As opposed to "if we had better players, we'd be a better team", which is nonsensical, infantile, wank.

Reply #726814 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

The wildcats play best when they don''t get lazy and try to bomb away from 3 point land

Reply #726817 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

In a previous post, around 3 weeks ago, after a couple of losses by Perth, I posted a question, "has perth peaked too early and now as all other teams are reaching their peaks ... etc.

A couple of replies said I was nuts, so I left it at that.

I wish to state that I was not writing Perth off for this season, just that they may have peaked too soon. The season is not nearly so far gone that Perth can not finish on top, and win the whole damn thing. It took 5, 6, 7 weeks for the other 7 teams to get into the season. Perth were already ready, and, I think, they are just being caught up by the others and, in some cases, surpassed. So, IMO Perth's poor form of late is not entirely their own fault. I think that the other teams should cop quite a bit of the blame. So there!

On a lighter note. Isn't it great to see a front runner that gets caught mid season, tries to rectify that, and the season unfolds to reveal that they have ....??? Do we all live happily ever after? Now that's Fantasy Basketball.

Reply #726818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree.

Perth started well. Too well. Or maybe other teams weren't ready.

Sydney turned the corner.
NZ have hit form.
Brisbane have improved.
Melbourne have some momentum but haven’t made the improvements Sydney NZ or Brisbane have.

The Wildcats have been stagnant and can’t seem to hit the next gear.

Luckily they have 6 of their next 9 at home to find that next level needed to make a meaningful appearance in the playoffs.

Reply #726826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't buy the "peaked too early" thing as an actual thing though. For sure, you want to be hitting form at the business end of the season but its not like a team has a finite amount of wins and they used them up too early, or that they really had a choice to do anything other than win those early games.

Unless it means they got complacent, which is obvious by their recent form in games.

Reply #726833 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Is Trev responsible?
Absolutely, its his team, he picked White, he's chosen to stick with White, and it was his decision to go with only 2 imports.
It's also on him that Wagstaff has hit retirement mode several months too early.

At the end of the day, Perth's season won't be a bad one, I just had much higher hopes given our off season signings.

No team is perfect, every team has problems, as a fan you just hope they'll fix the easy ones.

Our problem is that we needed Marvin to reign in Trev's ego, but now we have a CEO who can't take a dump without asking Trev which door to use.

Trev has always relied on his bench being able to almost hold their own (and beat an opponents bench) whilst his starters rest. He's also relied on having clutch players who are able to bring the game home.
Unfortunately our bench sucks, and guys who should be reliable under pressure just aren't.

And as I said, we'll have a good season.
It's just frustrating when numbnuts point to our win:loss and ignore our record against the two teams that matter.

Reply #726834 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

The team is in a horrible slump, not uncommon for any sporting team during a season. They haven't figured out how to fix it, beating Cairns is not fixing it. There are options.

1. Sack coach - even though I'm not a Gleeson fan, this is not going to happen and nor should it.
2. 3rd Import - legitimate option that they should consider.
3. Senior players step up - Terrico, Cotton and Kay need to the be the offensive focus, all 3 need to be aggressive. Steindl, Norton and Wagstaff need to step up their offensive game off the bench. The rest need to provide the usual Wildcats hustle. Kay should be getting fed the ball inside every second time down the court to attack the basket or dish to Brandt or an outside option, Jervis should not even touch the ball on offense, his job should be crashing the boards on both ends and contesting shots.
4. Do fuck all - watch another season slip by.

Personally I think option 3 is enough, whether they can pull their heads in and do it is to be seen, if they can't, get that 3rd import. If they go with option 4, as a fan I will be pissed.

Reply #726837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Personally I think option 3 is enough"

Agreed.

Reply #726838 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

They won't sack Gleeson, probably won't find third import and hopefully won't sit and do F all so that leaves option 3.
Wagstaff, White and Jervis all need to step up and Steindl just needs to be more consistent.

Reply #726845 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

AD, if that's true why am I hearing that Trev wants to make a change but the club won't let him?

Reply #726847 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"AD, if that's true why am I hearing that Trev wants to make a change but the club won't let him?"

Where are you hearing this? He's been on the news multiple times stating they won't be making any changes (that was at least a week or so ago, so maybe he's said something else since).

Reply #726848 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"If they go with option 4, as a fan I will be pissed."

I've felt like this for at least a month.

Reply #726850 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Personally I think option 3 is enough,

If this option were so easily, Troy or Trevor would have snapped their fingers and made it happen by now.

The Wildcats have dropped from 3 games clear to second place BECAUSE of the drop off in production from White, Norton, and Brandt.

Of course Option 3 is favourable, it is free and everyone feels good, but it's simply not happening (at least when playing teams not named Cairns).

Given it is less likely to happen than more, wouldn't Option 2 be more suitable?

Reply #726856 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"wouldn't Option 2 be more suitable?"

Most likely, but I do think we can do it with our current team however a lot more has to go right for it to happen. What happens if that import is dud (either gets homesick or fouls like a mofo). Then we just wasted a spot and the team chemistry is slightly messed up. Adding a player at this stage can go either way, Cotton was the ideal guy to bring in at the time, but they can't get this perfect each time they do it, hence why I'm ok with option 3.

Reply #726859 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He's been on the news multiple times stating they won't be making any changes
Well obviously that's what he's saying publicly. The "Trev won't make changes and Troy does whatever he wants because he's a bad GM" theory isn't supported by anything in the newspaper either.

Reply #726867 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"AD, if that's true why am I hearing that Trev wants to make a change but the club won't let him?"

Interesting...
I obviously had not heard that.

I'll be doubly pissed if that is true.
Gleeson remains the best coach we've had, and its still his c on the b.

I suppose it may depend on what the change is. Any clue as to that?

The problem with a "3rd Import" is rather obvious, we have to bump somebody, and that's not a popular move.

Reply #726895 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Lachy Reid hinted on Ten News tonite that 3rd import discussed tomorrow with TG interview
Maybe something or someone is coming

Reply #726905 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Bumping someone WOULD be unpopular.

1) Hire. By all accounts a good community person and a clubman (ex-captain). Not supremely talented but gives 100% and his play is loved by the fans.

2) Wagstaff. One club player, stayed loyal to the club despite being probably starter level in other teams. Also loved by fans, though his stats are down.

3) Vague. One of the rare local talents Wildcats have promoted after 3 seasons as a DP, axing him means zero local talent promoted since Hire. Brings back memory of Mathiang Muo.

All 3 would make fans unhappy unless they are bringing in a stud.

Reply #726907 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Unpopular but not making finals even less popular !

Reply #726908 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

All they need to do to make finals is beat Cairns on Friday.

Reply #726910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt 13-15 will get them in. They probably need to win 3 more and not let their percentage take a battering.

Reply #726916 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, sorry, Cairns on Friday and then Illawarra in February. 14-14 should get it done. If they can snatch another one they're definitely in; I can't imagine a 15-13 team missing out.

Reply #726918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Jervis would get the chop first

Reply #726924 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

Wildcats won't bring in a 3rd import this season. They are just breaking even, numbers are down on budget. Fans are not turning to the games.

Wildcats in the offseason will get rid of Jervis, Hire, Wagstaff, and for 19/20 they'll bring in a 3rd import while keeping Terrico. They will fight hard for someone like Shawn Long who can play centre and switch Brandt to power forward.

Shawn Long, Cotton, White will be the Wildcats 3 imports for 19/20.

Reply #726928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt doesn't have the skill set to be a power forward in this league.

Reply #726931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White won't be back they will go for an import 3 man.
Hire and Jervis will go with Wagstaff a maybe on a cheaper one year deal.
If Perth are lucky enough to get Long it would mean Brandt is back up centre.
Norton. Martin
Cotton. Steindl
Import. ?
Kay. Vague, ?
Long, Brandt

Hopefully Perth get a next star to increase bench depth.

Reply #726932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'd be better off getting a really athletic and versatile import PF who would complement Brandt and Kay nicely.

Reply #726934 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Hire could always fall back into the coaching role Waxy played.

Brandt will no way in shape or form play PF, plus that's Kay's spot.

Vague is our investment for the future, Wagstaff tends to have a down season up season.

Jervis will go and I wouldn't waste my time with a 3rd import unless it's a legit Centre to help battle Boone, Bogut and Long.

Reply #726949 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

Coach doesn't rule out a 3rd import for this season. Very reluctant to speak about it.

Alot of negotiations to do. Wildcats will wait until the final minute (minimum games needed to qualify for final for import) before pulling the trigger. If Wildcats keep losing then they'll negotiate with likely players on a payout.

Reply #726975 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Rabbit70 are you just making statements or is this from a press conference/interview?

Reply #726976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is only 2 games before deadline and the next game is a home one against Cairns.
So Perth probably won't make change.
Who do they play after Cairns?

Reply #726977 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

vs. MEL on 20/01.

Reply #726978 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

@ Adelaide on January 17th.

Reply #726980 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wildcats won't bring in a 3rd import this season. They are just breaking even, numbers are down on budget. Fans are not turning to the games.

If this excuse is coming from the Wildcats then it is BS.

Total crowd (first eight home games pre-Hopman Cup break):

2017-18 103,943
2018-19 100,577

Down 3,366 total or 421 per game.

Reply #726982 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

421 per game isn't too bad considering the crappy midday games.

Reply #726985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If this excuse is coming from the Wildcats then it is BS"

Its just his opinion.

Reply #726988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If this excuse is coming from the Wildcats then it is BS.
Total crowd (first eight home games pre-Hopman Cup break):
2017-18 103,943
2018-19 100,577
Down 3,366 total or 421 per game."

This assumes the operating budgets and forecasts are the same each year. If the midday games impacted revenue by $200k (as flagged earlier in the season) then that is a massive drop in budget.

Reply #726990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's assume Perth beat Cairns and lose @ Adelaide on 17th.
They would be surely already be in conversations with both the new import and current roster player who would step aside.

Reply #726991 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They'd have three days to get the import signed, cleared, into the country, and on the floor.

If they're going to make a change it has to be after the Cairns game.

Reply #727013 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

The Money angle doesn't make sense to me, unless for some reason we're talking huge bucks.

Can you imagine how much a GF series with HCA advantage would be worth to the Wildcats? They'd probably sting me $100 a game for my seats, and I'd be willing to pay.
Cotton, whatever you believe, has not come cheap, nor has signing Kay & Norton in addition to the existing players.
It's like the bought a Ferrari, then fitted retreads, and won't pay for new tyres.

That said, I feel that as this point, there will be no change. I would say that unless it is already being processed behind the scenes, its not happenning. If we were going to muck around and potentially go short whilst waiting for a clearance, or jet-lag, tomorrow was the game to do it.

Not to fussed about tomorrow night's game. If we lose, I will hand back my gear and walk out in my undies.

But the next round will be telling.
If we can rebound and beat the sixers in Adelaide and then United back in Perth, then the finals start to look interesting.
If not, we start planning for next year.

Reply #727020 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Dazz in his undies lol Perth better win.

Reply #727024 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Perth is a 'special' case, in a nice way.

Making the SF is minimum but not considered successful, making the GF would be the minimum definition of 'success' with winning it all as their 'standardised definition of success'.

So they have to invest to get to the GF, right now, even if they make the playoffs, I don't see them beating United or Sydney (when playing with these fade outs and scoring droughts).

Reply #727025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have officially ruled out signing a third import

Reply #727036 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

There will be no third import. We have the players who can perform. We just need to focus and keep our energy up for 40 minutes.

We have a number of home games so we will be ok.

We are scouting hard on our opponents.

You'll see a mind blowing performance on Friday night.

Trev

Reply #727043 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"It's like the bought a Ferrari, then fitted retreads, and won't pay for new tyres."

This.

Reply #727062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld will just agree with anything that criticises the club whether it makes sense or not.

Reply #727092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld is a troll to be ignored even Isaac agreed he/she is.

Reply #727101 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Not Happy.

Perhaps the most annoying thing is that we do have the players to give this thing a shake, and had we not collapsed into a stinking pile of crap, we would still have been in a good position.

Throwing away the game against Sydney, then shitting our daks against Brisbane, Hawks, and NZ. Those losses will come back to bite us in the Ass.

Problem is that there are too many players Trev can't rely on, and that doesn't suit his coaching.

Reply #727136 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hey AD some dumbo needs an explanation on who you were alluding to with Ferrari.

Reply #727139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if we have the players to be a contender, but as a team the form is currently very poor, how is adding a third import going to fix that? Especially at this stage of the season, and presumably a budget import, it would probably do more harm than good.

Reply #727141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, do you want to have a crack at responding to the comment above? Would be good to see if you've thought the issue through, or if you just think Ferrari analogies are good enough.

Reply #727211 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Agree with anon #141, everyone thinks a 3rd import is the solution, but it could do more harm than good which I've said previously.

They'll destroy Cairns tonight to send a message, whether they get the message themselves we'll find out when we play the Kings.

Couple of nice bets for tonight.

Perth win/over 168.5/Cotton 20+ points @ $6
Perth win/over 168.5/Kay 15+ points @ $6.50

Reply #727218 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Agree with anon #141, everyone thinks a 3rd import is the solution, but it could do more harm than good which I've said previously."

Solution is to put the ball through the hoop more times than your opponents.
Sure, theoretically, any group of people can do that, but reality is thats not how it works.
But its a moot point. Barring a miracle.

Can only hope things go our way, and the guys get inspired either playing for their futures or playing for a ring.

On the plus side, it keeps things interesting.
Melbourne should be favourites, but who knows.
Sydney shouls be there is the wheels don't fall off. Brisbane the outside roughie, and Adelaide making aa late run. Never wright off Joey.
Perth are the smokie at this point. On recent form they're no chance, but anything could happen.

Reply #727247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Solution is to put the ball through the hoop more times than your opponents."

So all things considered, a third import is going to do nothing but make us score more than our opponents? Problem solved then!

Reply #727255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/perth-coach-trevor-gleeson-explains-why-wildcats-opted-against-import-addition-ng-b881070375z

Trevor seems to be echoing some of the comments from the more sensible posters here.

Reply #727264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trev along with his players and management are in a state of denial. This pattern of play has occurred seasons before this one. Its not new. Its either the old core thats still there (hire , wagstaff, martin) or poor coaching that cant mold a decent offense.

Cats players are bagging Knight who now outside of the team dynamic can see what the rest of us do - but their too close to the problem theres a level of denial.

First part of a problem is to acknowledge it. No GF then its time for Trevor to go.

Reply #727281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cats players are bagging Knight"

No they aren't. They (being Hire) are disagreeing with him and explaining why. If you need to lie about that to try and make a point, I'm going to disregard the rest of your post.

Reply #727283 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

No change which makes the thread pointless really.

Reply #727287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson in the article: 'My philosophy is I will take a guy who is less talented every day of the week to fit into the team and play with the team, rather than having a superstar who looks after himself.'

He knows you can also get superstars who can fit into the team and play with the team, right?

Reply #727289 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"He knows you can also get superstars who can fit into the team and play with the team, right?"

Uh, what do you call Cotton?

That Gleeson quote also seems like it's directed at someone, maybe they did have a 3rd import lined up and his demands were over the top?

Reply #727301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe people are reading far too much into it.

Reply #727313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thin skinned Hire strikes again

Reply #727315 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Solution is to put the ball through the hoop more times than your opponents."

Wasn't there an nbl team in the 80s that went with that as their whole philosophy. No D, but high scoring games.

Problem is, Perth are not built to be a high scoring team. When they’re good, their defence drives the whole thing. They also don’t have a good spread of scorers, so if just 1 has a low scoring game, the slack isn’t usually taken up.

Reply #727323 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So if we have the players to be a contender, but as a team the form is currently very poor, how is adding a third import going to fix that? Especially at this stage of the season, and presumably a budget import, it would probably do more harm than good.

Firstly I've never said the club should specifically sign a third import but rather do _something_ other than sit on their hands for a second season running. This is my gripe. Whether change comes in the form of signing a third import, replacing White with a second stud import or something else like seriously reviewing Gleeson's performance as a coach is up to them. Don't treat us supporters like fools though. I've been bleating about it for a month because I could see history repeating itself.

I don't think we've had the players to contend since last season so your opening assumption doesn't apply to me, and throwing timing into it is an extension of the club's inaction that it has come to this "stage" i.e. one week left, and not a valid excuse to try and ride it out.

During Marvin's reign reportedly he demanded funds for changes and wasn't complacent. As a career CEO/management academic who moves from role to role his drive to have a good performance record worked for him and most importantly the club. He left and later was appointed head of another pro sports team who have no league to play in. Why move to such a project? I'd say he was told spending would be cut so decided to move on. I'm not sure how many people realise who the current CEO is - he's one of the longest tenured employees of the Wildcats going back to the Vlahov Challenge Stadium era (could be even longer). Head of game day security or something. My point is the club replaced a career CEO with a lame duck yes man and since then performances and standards have slipped. Attendance has been stable with ticket pricing going up and savings on hiring a real leader and only two imports yet changes can't be made? They're cheapening out on us.

Reply #727350 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Wasn't there an nbl team in the 80s that went with that as their whole philosophy. No D, but high scoring games. "

Sorry, but you are misunderstanding the comment.
It also applies to defence. If you hold your opponents to 70 points, then you can win with 80.

Reply #727352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats got an extension. A change gone come.

Reply #727987 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

:o

Reply #727998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""He knows you can also get superstars who can fit into the team and play with the team, right?"

That Gleeson quote also seems like it's directed at someone, maybe they did have a 3rd import lined up and his demands were over the top?"

Perth were in advanced discussions with former Rocket Terrence Jones.
Which would also seem to discount the no money claim.
Wonder hwat happened?

Reply #728070 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Perth were in advanced discussions with former Rocket Terrence Jones"

If true, that must be to replace Wagstaff?
I've always thought it possible that he was not in the 5-mn cap (being in the 3rd year of his contract) and surely that must be to allow them to even think about signing an ex NBA star.

Reply #728072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An announcement maybe made in the next 24 hours. It's still on the cards.

Reply #728080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be good for the team but it would also raise doubts about the competency of the front office to do that just days after making it clear that it would not happen. Must be total panic mode in there. Not a good look.

Reply #728081 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Remember in 2016/17 when they backed Jaron Johnson then cut him the second time? It's happened before

Reply #728084 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

It may not be a good look but if it's necessary then so be it.

Reply #728085 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

3rd import isn't happening from what I read.

Reply #728088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It would be good for the team but it would also raise doubts about the competency of the front office to do that just days after making it clear that it would not happen. Must be total panic mode in there. Not a good look."

No matter if they do or don't sign an import, they'll be criticised.

Reply #728090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine how much they would be criticised if they celebrated Wagstaff's 300th game later this week and then sacked him the next day to make way for an import

Reply #728092 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Front office have only themselves to blame for stalling, they're the ones who've created this situation. Amateur hour.

Reply #728094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Imagine how much they would be criticised if they celebrated Wagstaff's 300th game later this week and then sacked him the next day to make way for an import"

Not as bad as sacking him the day before ;-)

Reply #728095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL true!!

Reply #728096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh look, Perthworld is still whinging.

Reply #728098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could Wagstaff AND Hire be gone?

Promote Dech to roster on minimal salary and sign a gun import

Reply #728099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmmm that could work. at least it would clear enough $$ to sign someone half decent

Reply #728100 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Wow rumours gone wild.

Reply #728116 | Report this post

TH62  
Years ago

" hmmm that could work. at least it would clear enough $$ to sign someone half decent"
Their salary stays in the cap, it won't clear anything.
Small issue, i know, but hey...:)

Reply #728117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's the source for all these claims

Reply #728119 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

A lot of names have been thrown around before, I'm sure there was nothing serious backing it up.. however, Terrence Jones would be ideal from what I have seen of him. Having said that I’m sure many players out there could fit the bill

Reply #728120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you sound legit while remaining Annon?

Multiple un-related sources have informed me of similar information over the last 24 hours.

These sources are credible enough for me to think something "could" be happening.

Not saying it will, but if it was to happen, it will be in the next day or so.

Take it for what it's worth.

The post about the Rockets player above is news to me.

Reply #728121 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

So in the next day or so all these endless posts and speculation will be put to bed.. one way or another that has got to be good surely.. the website host will be grateful for the extra storage space lol

Reply #728123 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Surely cutting players at this point of the season doesn't remove their salaries from the cap? (Or at least I'd hope it wouldn't)
Like JR says, at least absolute clarity is thankfully not far away.
We play our 21st game in 3 days time, and our 22nd game 3 days after that.

Reply #728126 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If they're not in the team why should they count against the cap?

Reply #728134 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wouldn't we still have to pay them even if we cut them from the roster? Isn't that how contracts work?

Reply #728136 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Just got a phone call. It's Terrence Jones.

Wildats hooked up with Isaac Humphries who told Jones how nice Australia is.

Reply #728137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It could be true, Terrance Jones has missed last hand full of games with Erie team he plays with in the G league

Reply #728139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to pay their salary but it doesnt count towards the cap.

Reply #728140 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Player to miss out is most likely Greg Hire, who would do anything for the team, including stepping down.

Devondrick Walker is the man the Wildcats want for next season though.

Reply #728141 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

You have to pay their salary but it doesnt count towards the cap.

Seems kinda like cheating to me if that's the case.
Maybe someone will "retire"

Reply #728142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get what you mean Luuuc but think of the alternative. You'd never be able to replace an import if their salary counted towards the cap. Or youd have to have contingency built in for any change.

Reply #728143 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I thought that typical NBL contracts for imports were constructed differently in that regard, and did build in that type of allowance. (but I'll admit I have no idea of the full facts here)

Reply #728144 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Devondrick Walker is the man the Wildcats want for next season though.

Why wasn't he signed for this season?

Reply #728146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the GM is a yes man!!!

Reply #728147 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I hear Jesse Wagstaffe is pushing to get Josh Childress onboard.

Reply #728148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor attempt at humour "Udog"

Reply #728150 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cats got an extension. A change gone come.
Yes, this is definitely a thing that happened.

I could see an exception being made if there were multiple injuries, but the league isn't going to give them longer just because they sat on their hands until it was too late.

Reply #728152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know but I didn't read the comment as the league gave them an extension, more that the Cats bosses "extended" their cut off date for making their own decision.

Reply #728153 | Report this post

TH62  
Years ago

Import and local player contracts are different.
Imports can be sacked, for example up to a certain period and the contract is null and void, however, local players are signed differently.
Even in case of an injury they continue getting their wages till their contract runs out or they return.
Anything you pay a player counts towards the salary cap, that's why it's called salary cap, players get paid when they're injured, ergo it counts.(and if a player gets cut, but still gets paid the same applies).
This is why maybe the team is reluctant to pull the trigger, whoever would come on board their pay would come on top of the existing payments and there are no guarantees that he would work out.

Reply #728157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say the team has been reluctant because they couldn't afford it. They're $200k down in revenue due to Saturday midday games. That's the salary for a short term import right there.

Reply #728160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say maybe it’s because they got have 5 players under the $450g or what ever the rule is and they can’t sack anyone to comply.

Reply #728162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Extension comment wasn't about the league. It was in reference to the cats saying they wouldn't sign an import. But that had seemingly changed.

I imagine if no news tomorrow then it's all just rumours... OR, they couldnt' come to terms with import in question.

Reply #728163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld will lose his shit!

Reply #728165 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

FFS this isn't the AFL. Rules are pretty much whatever they can get away with and.or get LK to agree to.

My bets guess is that the 5-man cap comprises Hire, Vague, Stiendl, Jervis,
and Norton on a backended contract.
Or possibly they somehow squeezed Wagstaff in there, but I think being on the end of a 3 yr deal he would be on decent coin.
So yes, there replacement options are limited.
Obviously if they replace Vague or Hire, it doesn't free up much salary. Jervis might be on a but more.Wgstaff presumably the most.
Obviously if Wagstff was not within the 5-man cap, then replacing him would give them a free hit. Only way they could afford an ex-NBA type.

Reply #728169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*cough*bullshit*cough*

Reply #728172 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Surely cutting players at this point of the season doesn't remove their salaries from the cap? (Or at least I'd hope it wouldn't)"

If they're put on injury waiver it does.

Reply #728177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""Surely cutting players at this point of the season doesn't remove their salaries from the cap? (Or at least I'd hope it wouldn't)"

If they're put on injury waiver it does." - Why wouldnt it? - what you think Brisbane are still reporting salaries of 5 imports?

Reply #728224 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

And talking about Salary Cap, lets not forget that even when it was a hard cap, there were ways and means around it.
Especially when it comes to an import.
Player can be on league minimum, but hey Grandma got a new hip.

Reply #728472 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

And yes, we'll keep talking about this shit, because the alternative is unpalatable.

Anyone know Joey's email address?
Cos getting him stirred up into another Brain Fart is are only hope against Adelaide.
As for Melbourne, I'm tossing up between going to the game or scheduling my prostate exam.

Reply #728474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And talking about Salary Cap, lets not forget that even when it was a hard cap, there were ways and means around it.
Especially when it comes to an import.
Player can be on league minimum, but hey Grandma got a new hip."

that's why they changed the system to what it is now. to prevent that happening.

Reply #728476 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754