Jack Toft
Years ago

Cairns v Sydney Jan 7

It's top vs bottom so we’ll get to see how far apart this league is, or will we? So far in 2019 we have had upset after upset. It started off when Cairns broke their drought, then the Heart Breakers beat Adelaide, then the Hawks iced Sydney, Perth got smashed, and Brisbane gave Melbourne a basketball lesson. What is going on? Did Larry Kestleman kick a black cat on New Years Day?

I think everyone breathed a sigh of relief when Cairns beat Brisbane in front of a packed crowd of 4,000. Mike Kelly even clearing his bench in the fourth! What was most pleasing was seeing Cairns’ bench lifting with 36 points and 16 boards. Significantly, only 2 turnovers, which doesn’t seem much, but it is these 1%ers that win games.

Sydney, on the road, were out foxed by Illawarra in a game in which The Conk stood up and Coenraad saw the hoop like a hoola hoop. The Bogie man rebounding at will like a rich Chinese businessman picking up mansions on the north shore collecting 19 boards, and captain Lisch scoring 19.

If I was Cairns I would be pumped up and fancy my chances of another upset. Top of table Sydney better pack their brown jocks as Cairns are on a winning streak! Gee, there are some fine battles to watch out for. Bogut v Jawai would more than cover the cost of admission. Randle and Lisch v Newbill and Trimble should have punters excited and even the old warhorses of Newley and Walker will be another great tussle.

I haven’t got one tip right so far this year...… Sydney

Topic #44587 | Report this topic

WookieE  
Years ago

Kings still have a long way to go mentally... Couldn't pick anyone but Lisch who was playing like they wanted to win that game in the Gong... The Hawks didn't look especially good for the the most part, but the Kings just looked not with it... They'll need to head into the Cairns game with a MUCH better attitude if they don't want to get blown out...

Reply #726476 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, a danger game this one. Cairns will be on a high, and Kings might be on a low after a subpar performance. Odds are neither team will shoot like they did their last game though, which means it should be a Kings victory tonight (hopefully).

Reply #726529 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sydney should bounce back comfortably.

Reply #726530 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Why?

Reply #726532 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Because the schedule dictates each team needs to play every other team four times a season, twice at home and twice at their venue.

Reply #726534 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The lower ranked teams on the ladder have won all five games so far this round.

Here's hoping Cairns make it a perfect 6/6 for the underdogs tonight.

Reply #726535 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would've thought that surely Sydney were strong enough to overcome a down game and motivated Illawarra team, but perhaps not - Cairns will have their chance too if there is anything of substance to them.

Reply #726539 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Cairns win against Brisbane = big one off IMO.

They shot at such a slip (60% and 58% from 3) and I just don't think they can repeat that type of output.

However a positivist would say that players have now found form and confidence and they could be feeling it offensively

Reply #726553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings struggling offensively. Wear is a disaster. Randle probably goes into hero mode again. As good as Bogut is, this has got upset written all over it.

Reply #726554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney by plenty unless Jawai has blinder, then Sydney by nine.

Reply #726582 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

If played in the last couple of weeks this game would have not have attracted much interest. With Cairns winning and the Kings faltering it has become so much more important.

I expect Cairns to give a much better account of themselves but also I think Sydney will win with Bogut and Bowen performing at a high level.

Lets see how it plays out!

Reply #726588 | Report this post

Who do the referees like in this one?

That should have a big say on who wins.

Reply #726591 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Lemme tell you about the boy who cried wolf too often . Nobody listens.

Six upsets why that's fantastic /

It is said ; ' If you don't make it difficult , it is not difficult. '
kelly reminded me of marty clarke , but got it right at the last game . so we will see ....
...most likely gaze will start with the shuffle...

Reply #726594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wut?

Reply #726595 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Are you on a vision quest Mr Dromedary?

Reply #726607 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Argh my ears... *mute*

Reply #726608 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

Sydney will dominate this. Win by 18.

Reply #726612 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Nice run through on the Jawai v Bogut matchup by Trigger and Wortho before the game!

Reply #726613 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Crowd seem to be involved.

Maybe the regional fans are motivated by hosting the $Kings$ ?

Reply #726615 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

Referees are definitely going for Sydney

Reply #726617 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Did Bogut only shoot 1 FT then?

Reply #726620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rob Loe needs a haircut. His unkempt look irks me.

Reply #726621 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Cairns have opened up with a defeated look already. Melo has taken 4/5 terrible shots. He needs to attack the hoop. Newbill gets an iso with Bogut and gives it up. Devon Hall can't seem to mark weak side cuts to the hoop. Signs do not look good. Cairns can't afford to give up 29 per quarter.

Reply #726622 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

Bogut missed the 1st, wasn't on TV

Reply #726623 | Report this post

jimjimthedogboy  
Years ago

Bogut getting some really soft calls his way. I didn't see the early offensive against Trimble, but didn't seem to be much in it.

Reply #726624 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Commentators called a foul on bogut a "superstar call".

Reply #726625 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Classic Aylen, wait until the shot misses before blowing his whistle.

Reply #726629 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

As soon as Bogut leaves the game its like the Kings have 3 guys on D.

Reply #726634 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Another Aylen "let's see if it goes down before I blow the whistle" classic.

Reply #726635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly Bogut defence keeps Sydney in games, no Bogut no kings

Reply #726636 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Reply #726637 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

Coach Bogut. Been a while since we had a player/coach.

Reply #726638 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Jawai literally set a screen with his backside. Honest question, is that not an illegal screen? Have I been living a lie my whole life? Should I be setting screens with my big backside at Tuesday night social comps?

Reply #726640 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Waxy still a complete idiot jacks up a 3 when they're down 2 points with 1:30 to go.

Reply #726641 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

What does Cairns need? This team is stacked by crap.

Reply #726642 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I don't think kelly has agood feel for which players he needs to finish off a particular game with, and when to start that run. Walker and Newbill(?) just not doing well.

Reply #726643 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

I don't know if the Kings success with Bogut on, or lack thereof when he sits, is due to his brilliance, or the fact that Kickert and Ware are so anemic at that end of the floor. Even with Bogut, I think any teams with bigmen who can stretch the floor tend to give the Kings trouble, especially considering Bogut's propensity to drop back into the paint. And even in saying that, the Kings get murdered on the O-boards whether Bogut is in there or not, allowing teams to hang around if they can convert their 2nd opportunities.

Reply #726644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Devon Hall, wholey f**k he ius bad

Reply #726645 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

DJ Newbill has been a huge disappointment in Cairns after last season in NZ.

Reply #726646 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think fatigue is the Kings biggest issue right now to be honest with so many guys on the wrong side of 30, we get killed on effort plays, especially on the 2nd game of double-header round. I think Gaze needs to get a bit more creative with his lineups when Bogut isn't on the court... give Deng Deng some minutes at the 4 spot, too.

Also doesn't help that outside of the odd Newley post-up we don't do much outside of the same dribble-handoff stuff and if Randle and co aren't knocking down the jumper and they are cutting off Bogut's roll to the basket Gaze doesn't have any other tricks up his sleeve and we are chucking up contested jumpers late in the shot clock.

Reply #726647 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

What have we learnt about Sydney this year?

They're currently leading both positional and salary spend ladders.

But they’re nowhere near unbeatable. Even the bottom placed side (probably on both ladders) had a good chance to beat them, and the other low budget regional team did beat them.

Any given game is competitive this year. Over the course of the season the big budgets will tend to win, but each individual game is a real contest.

Reply #726649 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Very true, Angus. If the initial action doesn't find the Kings an open shot, they are reverting to isolation plays, relying on the individual brilliance of Randle and Lisch (with the occasional Kickert or Adnam play).

Despite being the top of the table, I am still not totally convinced, especially with needing to hold on in the final stages against Cairns (despite their recent form).

Reply #726650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very enjoyable game.

As stated above Kickett and Wear are very poor. Good to see Kelly getting stuck into his team.

Reply #726655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wear had 9 points but he was almost the worst King on the court except Kickert, who looked every one of his 35 years tonight. Sydney have a giant problem at the 4 spot and it will get exploited in the end. The fact Wear wasn't sacked weeks ago - even accounting for the fluke Perth game - is absolutely mind boggling. He is without doubt one of the worst imports the Kings have ever had. Tells you the money in the kitty has dried up through these new owners.

Reply #726668 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

re Kings being too old, is it a coincidence they play the slowest pace in the league and games involving them score around 10 points lower than the league average? Probably not. They're working within their limitations by slowing games down. Smart move.

IIRC their record also is waaay better against bottom 4 teams than top 4 teams.

Reply #726799 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Unbeaten vs Perth this season, but (from memory) 0-3 vs Melb, 1-2 vs Adelaide. The Adelaide losses were the first 2 games of the season however. So generally speaking been beating the teams we should (Hawks loss aside) and the Melbourne losses were close enough that I'm not overly worried. Looked good against the Bullets.

Reply #726802 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:19 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754