Anonymous
Years ago

Adelaide Imports

Wondering about other people's thoughts on currents imports for sixers.
Moore has been his reliable and unspectacular self, probably that perfect 3rd import that does a bit of everything without the fanfare, just does his job week in and week out. MVP after DJ.
Wiley has all the flashes that make the highlight reels but is he that true import stud that can be the finisher that a contender needs. Would rather have had Childress back even though his body is fragile, can get you to Grand Final Series but 50/50 if he'll be injured. But Wiley is nearly a candidate to be ejected each game, love the intensity but needs to be smarter. And Childress leadership was apparently what brought team together, plus defence, rebounding,experience.
Don't see how Conger fits in really, always hard to come in late, has the pedigree for the league but odd choice as replacement as team really needs a scoring point guard to compete with Ware, Cotton etc. Wouldn't have been totally cheap but strange pickup imo. Seems lost in most games I've seen, hopefully as he gets more games he'll gel with team more.

Topic #44592 | Report this topic

hawky  
Years ago

Firstly, I think Sobey would have the MVP at this stage, ahead of both DJ and Moore. Much of what i say below will depend on Sobey whom is out of contract i think?

Re imports:

Well summarised re moore. Fills multiple roles, happy to play off the bench and seems a good team guy. Retain.

Wiley fits so well into our team as an athletic 4 and compliments DJ, Deng and Froling in the front court. With maturity, i can see him developing into a very good import and i'd like us to keep him. He has all the tools, but his brain fades are costing him.

Conger seems to be a case of taking the best available player. Hasn't fit in well as yet and if he stays he will limit the court time of Drmic. replace.

I doubt we could aford a stud import PG, i'd be happy if we kept our roster and swapped conger for a PG/ SG pending what they want to do with sobey at point. They dont have to be the star or creator ala ware/ cotton, we have enough - just play good D, be a good passer and hit the open 3.

Somehting like this would satisy myself:

Sobey
Import G
Drmic
Wiley
DJ

Moore
Mcveigh
Deng
Froling
Next Star Import
? (is doyle still signed?)

Reply #726694 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I can't fault Wiley. I would sign him up to a multiple season deal. A guy like that could be the face of the club for years to come.

Moore has done enough to say he is worth looking at again, provided there aren't better options. Conger hasn't turned up. Still waiting on when his plane is supposed to land. We're going to end up sticking it out with him for the season but he's shown nothing to suggest he should stay after that.

Reply #726697 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wiley has everything but the basketball IQ which unfortunately is a big part of the modern game for teams wanting to contend. Shame because he's a highlight reel. I wouldn't risk signing him long term unless the plan was to entertain and sell tickets.

Conger's two most recent games:

19/6/5 with 4 steals.
25/6/3

Another tough call.

It would depend on which locals stayed. Froling is a great player to have in the team. I'd spend up on Sobey to keep him. Drmic and Deng are useful bench players.

Reply #728087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Drimic telling all his college mates when he signed with Adelaide he was on $120g a season, great money for a bench player.

Reply #728114 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Agree with Isaac about Wiley's BBIQ - he might be good in a couple of years but unfortunately he is a disaster defensively. Great guy and nice highlight reels, but if Childress was playing his role, we would be contending IMO.

I don't think I'd keep Moore if Sobey signs. Neither player is the true PG this team needs. I think you need a gun PG first and a good, athletic, defensive three because Sobey, Drmic, Teys, Moore and McVeigh can't cover big wings. If you have Moore as well, then it prevents you from getting an import centre who will take the defensive load off DJ and allow him to be a bigger offensive threat.

I like Moore, but I think if we have Sobey, team balance dictates that we use his slot on a different position.

Conger is a possibility because he has the size and athleticism to matchup with the bigger wings, but I'm not convinced by him yet. He's had some good games, but he's also been found out in a few others. Time will tell if he's the right fit next year.

Reply #728124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conger is a good player but defensively not that great.

Reply #728130 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:51 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754