Cats for life
Years ago

Adelaide tips

Hi there, I'm going adelaide next week and going to the game on Thursday night watching Perth.

I'm staying at Mercure Grosvenor Adelaide was asking for the best way to get there and how long will it take to get there?

Thanks.

Topic #44598 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Uber 20mins

Reply #726861 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

What time should we leave to get there? I like to get there early

Reply #726863 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Bronze tickets East 8, why isn't seat numbers when you book?

Reply #726869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait, Adelaide now has Uber?

Reply #726873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For 20 minutes apparently.

Reply #726875 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Adelaide's Uber:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tweed-heads/cars-vans-utes/flintstones-repli-car/1140448818

Reply #726878 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Last time I was in Adelaide an Uber was more expensive than a taxi.

Reply #726879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do they have POS?

Reply #726880 | Report this post

Hawky  
Years ago

Ignore the sad fools on here who are taking cheap shots as keyboard warriors whom have likely never visited Adelaide. SA is great, we have the best beaches, lifestyle and our wine and produce is world class. You'll enjoy your stay.

20 mins in an Uber or taxi from the CBD. Unfortunately our stadium is in the western suburbs & not the CBD. I’d recommend eating in the city before you get there, mainly the standard stadium food available. When I go I only arrive minutes before he game, but if I’m taking someone new around 15-20 mins before the game.

Reply #726881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes with the extra 12 mins you can see the highlights of the arena. So considerate for your visitors

Reply #726883 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I lived in Adelaide for 3 years, I summed it up this way:

It's not nearly as bad as the people from elsewhere make out, and not nearly as good as the people from Adelaide would have you believe.

Best beaches? Not even close. No surf, not many good kids beaches and only a few suburbs set up to really capitalise on beach living.

Best lifestyle? Definitely not. Restaurant scene is ok, arts scene is ok, live performance scene isn't great. Ease of living is good.

Nice place to live? Definitely. Enjoyed my time there, it's 'small' for a city of its size and there isn't much in the city's outer surrounds, but it's got a decent feel about it.

Reply #726884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I went to visit Adelaide once but I didn't know what street it was on.

Reply #726885 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

I've never been before and I'm really looking forward taking the family there.

Reply #726893 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Make sure you book a wine tour with Scott Ninnis while in town!

Reply #726894 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I've lived in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Perth.

Adelaide has by far the best beaches - hitup Henley Beach just 15 minutes from the city, extending west beach, sea cliff etc.

Port Noarlunga, Port Elliot are also fan favourites.

Paul, I don’t know how long ago you lived in Adelaide but the last 3-4 years has seen a surge of small restaurants and bars in lane ways that are excellent: bread and bone or peel st for food, Bank st social/clever little tailor etc bars near by.

One of the few cities which have about 10 brilliant small bars right next to each other.

The coffee is similar standard to Melbourne: places like Flinders st project, Tell Henry etc

In comparison to Perth in particular, I’d say Adelaide is similar but a fair bit busier than Perth, I always found the city in Perth to be virtually empty.

Being cheaper, with nice weather, good restaurants bars coffee, great beaches 15mins away and nice hills towns 20mins away, the downside has always been the shitty public transport and lack of private entity jobs that forces young professionals to leave for greener pastures

Reply #726919 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I don't think Paul really 'lived' in Adelaide...may have resided here though.

Reply #726944 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I've only been twice, but my wife and I love Adelaide. I don't really get the jokes to be honest (well, outside of the Snowtown stuff...). How quickly the demographics change block to block might be a little jarring for someone from Sydney, but that's no different from a lot of small cities around the globe.

I have heard from the Kings members that sit next to us and have travelled to watch the Kings play down there that it's the most hostile away venue they've been to with opposing team's jerseys on though, FWIW.

Reply #726945 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Nice summary KET.

I can understand paul's view that other places have better beaches, as it's a function of what you're looking for - swimming vs walking vs kayaking vs surfing vs partying etc. I'd say Adelaide has very good family beaches. There are very good swimming/walking/kayaking beaches along its entire shoreline and they're rarely overcrowded. The evening sea breezes generate good kite surfing and board sailing conditions off Seacliff/Brighton most days.

Usually you can park right at the beach (esplanade) or within a block or two on busy days. A number of local councils have worked to improve the facilities available to beachgoers over the past 10 years and they're adequate to good.

A coastal mixed cycle/walking path runs about 30km alongside the beach from North Haven to Marino. The walking path continues a further ~15km through Hallet Cove Conservation Park (with a 3km break along the Port Stanvac section, which is not publicly accessible). Then there's another 24km of mixed use path along the southern beaches, from Port Noarlunga to Sellicks Beach.

Port Noarlunga has some excellent snorkelling and scuba diving around the Noarlunga Reef, which is accessible from the shore and from the end of the Noarlunga jetty. It's going to be hot next week Cats for life so it might be worth checking out if your family's into snorkelling.

Reply #726948 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I lived in Adelaide for 20 odd years. At times in Adelaide, those years were odd in more ways than one. I remember the Truro murders and the "family" murders when I was there.

The Snowtown thing was after I left, but I just thought, “oh well, another weird multiple murder case.” Both Snowtown and Truro involved persons from the deep north of Adelaide, with limited social circles, social skills and cognitive capacities. They really only killed their own. One of the key witnesses in the Snowtown case gave statement/evidence in exchange for KG Cunningham autographed Crows Jersey (so I was told by a journalist who followed the case for local tv). I lived out there for a while (Elizabeth West, Dad was in the RAAF) but spent ages 6 to early 20s on the other side of town. OP is very unlikely to encounter those sorts of people though.

Beaches, I'd recommend Pt Noarlunga and Aldinga for swimming, snorkeling etc. Given the OP is staying in Adelaide, he’d be best to team it down to Glenelg, especially if he’s taking kids.

Anyway, I think you’ll enjoy the visit. Carry a hoops.com.au sign, you might meet someone from here.

Reply #726955 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Adelaide is nice, but Wollongong has the best beaches

As far as being a hostile environment for visiting fans I've only been there once for an NBL game in 2003/4 when the Kings were worth following in their 3 peat run. They absolutely handed Adelaide their arse and I felt no hostility at all from the locals as they were trying to disappear into their seats.

Reply #726965 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's almost like "best beaches" is purely subjective and mostly based where we grew up or live(d)! ;)

Reply #726993 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I think Paul summed Adelaide up reasonably well, he doesn't express the same bias I (and others) might have but he doesn't dismiss Adelaide's qualities either.

I think Perth and the cities on the east coast (south of the Gold Coast) offer more diverse seaside options but head 40-50 minutes south and you'll find some of the best beaches within metropolitan Adelaide (and without the crowds or cafe strips).

I also agree with KET that precincts within the city have improved considerably, especially since the "new" Adelaide Oval opened but, Melbourne and Sydney still have considerably greater dining choice (albeit at higher prices).

Regarding Adelaide crowds, let us be the bogans and you'll be just fine. Yes we do sook if we lose and many of us will bag the officiating (and sometimes rightly so). Like anywhere, if you don't look for trouble, it won't find you. Oh the Dome also has free WIFI (but questionable EFTPOS) so you can hit up Hoops.com.au during the breaks and critique our behaviour.

Reply #726996 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There's loads of things to do in SA. The Mecure is close to all the small bars snaking off Hindley street. People are friendly. An Uber to the game will be easiest. Not sure what kind of experience you are after but you are close to rundle mall for shopping, keep walking towards the east of rundle mall onto rundle street and there is some good shopping along there too. For food, if you want the best Chinese in SA - head to Ying Chow restaurant in china down - no frills but i have never anywhere in the world had better. it is stupidly good. for bars, Try La Rambla or any of the bars along that little lane way. another good restaurant is Gondola Gondola, it is on the corner near La Rambla. Hit up trip advisor and you will find all the best joints to eat. Have fun

Reply #727002 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Don't forget the Pancake Kitchen open 24 hours a day.

Reply #727006 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Next week will also be Tour Down Under. The Tour Village is a 10 minute walk or free tram ride from where OP will be staying. Worth a look if you're into cycling or just for something different.

Reply #727044 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

KET can you rank the four in terms of being bogan?

Reply #727063 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

You have your mining bogans, your revhead bogans, your alternate bogans and surfer bogans.

Reply #727080 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes but overall. I've only been to three of the four and two only on holiday so curious.

Reply #727085 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"It's almost like "best beaches" is purely subjective and mostly based where we grew up or live(d)! ;)"

Thanks Captain Obvious haha

Reply #727554 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

""It's almost like "best beaches" is purely subjective and mostly based where we grew up or live(d)! ;)"

Thanks Captain Obvious haha"

Not quite true for all. My opinion: I mostly grew up in Adelaide. Best beaches in Australia are in Shoalhaven in Jarvis Bay. Better than Wollongong beaches, and quieter too outside school holidays. Gold Coast and far north coast nsw also nice beaches (excluding Byron). I still like Oort Noarlunga (swimming out to the reef in Volleys) and Aldinga (can you still drive on beach there?)

Reply #727575 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OP, don't rush eating before the game and definitely don't eat at the game. Do whatever to carry yourself through and then head to Gouger St after the game to eat. A lot of Chinese places there especially are still serving past midnight - Ying Chow and Wah Hing have been regular spots for us. We also used to head to La Trattoria (on King William Street). Then head to the bars in Peel St area.

Other recommendations would depend on how long you're staying.

Reply #728027 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754