Jack Toft
Years ago

Sydney v Illawarra Jan 13

A week ago Illawarra plays out of their skins and lifted to get a 7 point win over the Kings. Today, the re-match is here and Sydney are likely to retain top spot regardless of the result.

Was that just a one off? I guess we will find out for sure later on this afternoon.

Sydney should get this one

Topic #44616 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

You just might have tipped correctly Jack.
Sydney with ease

Reply #727766 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Why don't teams just sit in a zone against Sydney and let Wear shoot non-stop?

Literally beg him to shoot.

His shooting splits are surprisingly OK; but I think across a big sample, he's just an average shooter.

Reply #727808 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'll just bring across my comments about this game that were wrongly put in the other game thread.

"Illawarra is a good go here, they'll keep it close I think"

"Wouldn't be surprised if they won"

Reply #727810 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Naar coming out party.

Reply #727812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it just me or is Shane Heal as boring and bat sh$$

Always with agenda

Reply #727817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He loves his favourites does Heal, but overall a reasonable commentator. Does rave though when he thinks he's right or it’s a mate.

Reply #727818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks would be winning by more if White stayed on the bench. 4 on 5 when he's chewing up time on court.

Reply #727819 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

21 up isn't too bad though

Reply #727821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok Majok - Majok Deng - Deng Deng sounds like a pokemon evolution

Reply #727822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings are in trouble. They need a third import.

Reply #727824 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

ROFL

Reply #727825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks doing well to not implode when the Kings try and go on a run.

If only Perth could do that lol

Reply #727826 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Kings are in trouble. They need a third import.

I was just about to post the same thing.
Do they have enough games left?

Reply #727827 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Hawks getting some great looks, just not getting emails down to finish this off.

King's shouldn't be in it from here. But Hawks giving them chances

Reply #727829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks are looking very chokey this quarter. This is a long way from over.

Reply #727831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand the emails reference

Reply #727832 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

David Wear's currency has to be questionable. For a guy that's 2.08m, he's just so ineffective physically, can't rebound, can't drive.. I hate to say it, but he's soft.

Reply #727833 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hawks mail server must be down.

Reply #727834 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Lol sorry just noticed that.

Emails was "em" but autocorrect didn't like that "word" apparently

Reply #727835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney emailing it in during the first 3 quarters and hawks trying to reply all in the 4th

Reply #727836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs have been bcc'ing each other

Reply #727838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"David Wear's currency has to be questionable. For a guy that's 2.08m, he's just so ineffective physically, can't rebound, can't drive.. I hate to say it, but he's soft."

he had that one lucky game and I reckon it saved him from the axe unfortunately for the kings

Reply #727841 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

David Wear is how I'd imagine Kevin Love if he had no offensive game and no rebounding skill at all.

Reply #727842 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Not sure why Sydney have Adnam as their go to on offense when they're trying to claw this back.

Reply #727843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they are clawing it back though

Reply #727844 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Every time I've seen Sydney play this year, it's just looked like a group of individuals who happen to be wearing the same clothes.
Seems like they just win games because their collective talent is better than the rest, but if you actually play as a team and force them to beat you, they struggle.
Could just be a bad game, I haven't seen that many games of theirs, but they haven't impressed me in any of them.

Reply #727845 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Lisch failing to send that layup, gets the soft call.

Checks his net connection and clicks send to all from outside

Reply #727846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for most of the game the refs weren't accepting emails in rich text but now they are receiving and responding promptly

Reply #727848 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Kings serving up spam.

Reply #727849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SMH @ Kings. Put Cedric on the line (smart) then break the line and give him another try when he misses!

Reply #727852 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sydney looking every bit their age this game.

Is having an aged team a worry for them? They have looked slow and unathletic in their losses.

Newley is 33; Lisch is 32; Bogut 34; Kickert 35; Randle is 31.

Is age a factor in their defensive issues?

Reply #727853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then Hawks foul a 3 point shooter?
Battle of the dumbest

Reply #727855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is age a factor in their defensive issues?"

no age means nothing but only 2 imports is recipe for failure

Reply #727856 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"no age means nothing but only 2 imports is recipe for failure"

So they should bring Larry Bird in for the 3rd import spot? ;)

Reply #727858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is probably still better than wear

Reply #727859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta love all the upsets lately keeping things interesting

Reply #727861 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Subject: Re: Sydney v Illawarra Jan 13
To: hoops.com.au

Reply #727862 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Sydney looking every bit their age this game. Is having an aged team a worry for them? They have looked slow and unathletic in their losses."

It's an interesting one MACDUB, because their last five losses have come to Melbourne and the Hawks, who have played half court basketball. You'd think that would play in the Kings favour but it hasn't been the case.

Reply #727863 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

Bevo is the real deal

Reply #727864 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bevo is the real deal

Can you CC this to Nick Marvin as he didn't think so.

Reply #727866 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Onya Hawks! I enjoyed that.

Reply #727870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only winning one title from four attempts isn't up to our standards.

Reply #727871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickett is no better than Ware, Bevo is certainly better than Gleeson.

Reply #727872 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I loved the lets go talk to Lindsey. Forgot there was a game on, therefore no one saw the last 3 seconds.

Seems like he really has a finger on the pulse. Thought his son is doing a great job.

Reply #727874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert is no better than Ware that is true and no one in the world would disagree

Reply #727875 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Bevo and Marvin had run ins when bevo was trying to get the boomers head coach role.

Was a big ol shambles

Good to see the Hawks playing a bit more consistent. Shame for them they left it so late

Reply #727877 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

First time in a while I've had the opportunity to watch a game from pre-coverage through to after-game analysis.

So much fluff pre and post, must say I'd rather see 12 min quarters being played if all this time is available.

Reply #727878 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The extra time being available is because long/overtime games kept exceeding the scheduled tv timeslot in previous seasons.

Reply #727879 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings have played quite a few games these past couple of rounds, I think it's fatigue more than anything else. I actually thought the Kings did OK defensively the first half, just that Naar was knocking down shots and Conklin had the long 2 dropping as well - both shots you are usually OK with.

Not a pretty game at all for Sydney though, and not sure what Gaze was thinking as usual with some of his rotation, especially in the 4th Q with Randle and Bogut, and that lineup he rolled out to start the 2nd Q was bad too and that more than anything got the Hawks rolling.

Not sure what is up with Kickert either, because that Perth game aside he has looked woeful more often than not.

Reply #727882 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

It's always been the question over the Kings
Would their ageing bodies hold out?
It's especially a problem given that they have no depth except for Bowen, and Haze loves to thrash his starters.

Bevo is a good coach, no question.
The difference between him and Gleeson, (or perhaps its a similarity?) is that there public and private personas are reversed.
People think Trev's a jerk becuase he always carries on at the refs, and they think Bevo is a good bloke. But in private, its the reverse. Trev knows how to work within a system, Bevo does not play well with others.

Reply #727990 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

So many excuses coming from the Kings FB fanbase that I nearly got kicked out of a couple of the groups for being reasonable...

Newley is 33; Lisch is 32; Bogut 34; Kickert 35; Randle is 31.

You forgot to mention that along with being 35, Kickert is also a giant fucking bitch... 0/6FG and showed more effort in his chair kicking hissy fit at the end of the game than anything while on court... The best part also is that he looked to stumble into a block right near the end and wasn't credited for it... The stats person probably thought that him playing defence was so unlikely that it couldn't happen...

I dunno what it is, but it's got to be a chemistry issue... So many times a Kings player lands on their arse and they seem to be the only team that doesn't have 3 teammates rushing to help them up... I know it seems like a small thing, but it's just really obvious and like what was said previously... A team of individuals and they very rarely look to be on the same page, which sucks, as when they do, and their D is locked in, they're unstoppable...

Wear's Perth game really will be the death of the Kings title hopes as that gave management an out that allowed them (& all Wear's idiot fans) to go "see? He came good, we were right!". I hate being right about Kicks as well, but both of those together and Kicks just cashing his cheque is just awful to watch...

I didn't know Randle was still suffering from food poisoning, but no-one else has an excuse and it seemed that only Newls and Lisch were taking things seriously... Bowen tried hard while he was out there, even Pineau to a lesser extent, but they're still out of their depth for what is being asked of them...

Deng played well in his minutes and then got subbed off when he was the only one putting in the effort...

One of Gaze's worst rotation games of the season and that's saying something...

Reply #728025 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Don't think its so much an issue with the age, just how utterly weak the bench is. When Bogut goes out, they have no defense, and when he has a quiet one like yesterday, they get waxed. Its been a while since Ive seen a game they were never in from the 2nd qtr onwards.

I don't mind Ware, but essentially this team is running with one import. And Randle is slowing down - never feel confident of his shots dropping anymore. The bench has Adnam, and ... nothing. Kickert looks close to done. Pineau is avg half a point and probably more than 1 turnover. Surprising they have never tried Tom Wilson, his shot in warm ups is the sweetest jumper on the squad, and given they are 2nd last in scoring, they could do with a boost from somewhere.

Reply #728026 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Not to mention a REALLY pissweak crowd as well... 7,700'ish and pretty ordinary as usual, but as an organisation, you have two past MVPs, an All-NBA centre in Bogut and are top of the table and you can't get a better crowd than that on a Sunday afternoon? I know they had another game on the Friday night (only 8,200) but if you can't get families to an early afternoon game, even on a Sunday, you're doing a pretty shit job...

No fan engagement this season either... They used to set up a table and bring out a decent player and a few DPs to get things signed by fans, but a conscious decision not to do it this is really a fail in my opinion... It was always a poor step down from previous seasons at other venues when they used to get set up on the court after the game, but understandably, Qudos is a lot more popular and hence need to get packed away quick smart, but on a Sunday afternoon with a 3pm tip off and done by 5, if they can't organise an extra hour for fans to interact with the players after MOST games, that's pretty shit...

Reply #728028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut was quiet but had an immense season, Lisch still plays defence, so does Newley, Bowen does have a go and shares his time with Newley, maybe try Newley in the four spot and see what eventuates. Kings bench is woeful, Adnam not bad but as shown yesterday can struggle on D, Wilson might score points but for every point scored let's four in.
The kings can still win it all but Bogut, Lisch, Newley and Randle must stay healthy and hope Bowen and Adam come to the party.

Reply #728034 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

The problem is they have not played 4 quarters hard in a single game this season. Virtually every game they get off to a poor start. I agree with the comment further up that they play like a team of individuals and the collective talent is enough to get the job done most games.

Bowen does have a go but makes so many mistakes that he is probably getting more run than he should. Newley has the most heart on the team, but those drives are at best getting FT lately, not made baskets.

Most alarming is the fools gold of being on top of the ladder; of their 13 wins, 4 are v NZ, 2 v Illawarra, 3 v Cairns, 2 v Perth during their slump. Adelaide are clearly a problem for them, they can't seem to beat Melbourne. So the 3 games upcoming v Brisbane in a few weeks may well decide their fate. They absolutely need homecourt to have any chance v Melbourne.

Reply #728041 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yup, the fans shouting "but we're still on top!" might have a bit of a shock coming to them...

Reply #728050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne same problem as Sydney, only 7/8 deep at best .

Reply #728062 | Report this post

justsaying  
Years ago

the game was lost when the 2nd quarter was started with only one starting five player. The game went from 2 up to 10-12 down.

I do not understand how in a tight game you can start the 2nd quarter with 4 bench players.

Every quarter needs the strongest five you have available to start.

It is like u12s giving all players court time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #728089 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gaze is consistent with that 2nd Q bad lineup. He usually sits Bogut and Randle toward the end of the first Q, and runs with Lisch as the only starter with the bench guys, and does something similar usually to end the 3rd/begin the 4th. If Randle and Bogut are on the bench IMO Newley needs to be in the game because his ability to attack the basket is something sorely lacking with our other forwards, and I think this is a lineup where Newley should be the focus of our offense, rather than just spotting up for 3 with the other starters which has never been his strength (despite his hot start to the year which is beginning to look like fool's gold). It feels like the Newley postup is one of our most effective weapons, and we see it once a game at best - I don't remember seeing it at all our past few games.

And Bowen for all his effort should never dribble a basketball in the halfcourt at the professional level right now because it's a good bet he'll either commit a charge or turn the ball over. He's a spot up guy or someone you hit on the break, and I think Gaze is too quick to park Newley in favour of Bowen for long stretches.

As far as our chances go this year, I don't consider us the favourites, but we certainly could win it all just based on how inconsistent every team has been rather than how good we actually are. Melbourne were gifted a win they didn't deserve last night and have been really up and down, Perth are a dumpster fire of late, Adelaide/NZ/Hawks run the gauntlet from terrible to world beaters any given night.

I actually think Brisbane have been one of the more consistent teams of late in terms of effort/performance and have a reasonably high ceiling, but I just don't have faith in a Cadee/Gliddon backcourt.

This thing is pretty wide open right now, IMO.

Reply #728093 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

The battle for the Kings is mental, because they have the talent in spades and (*knocks on wood*) they've stayed pretty injury free, which was everyone's concern coming into the season...

If they can overcome any personality clashes/issues, Gaze's inept coaching and some people's strained heart/effort muscles, they're in with a very solid chance... I just don't think that they CAN overcome their issues...

Reply #728184 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:47 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754