Anonymous
Years ago

NBL to AFL

Hugh Greenwood
Tom Fullarton
Corey Maynard

and many more who have left to play Afl
What career would they of had if they stayed in the Nbl? My guess Hugh greenwood would have the longest career and most successful one

Topic #44642 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

Who the hell is Tom Fullarton?

Reply #728655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood never played in the nbl, the best one was that Adelaide player who won the championship ( what's his name) then won premiership with Port Adelaide. Ruckman centre he was.

Fullerton and Maynard I’m not certain if they played either, as weren’t they DP.

Reply #728658 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Dean Brogan.

Maynard played for Townsville.

Reply #728659 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood - signed with Perth Wildcats but then defected to AFL before ever playing a game.

Craig Moller defected the other way - AFL to NBL.

Tom Fullarton was an Australian junior representative who defected to AFL before ever heading to college or playing NBL - a bit like Scott Pendlebury.

Reply #728661 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That should read as "Maynard played minutes for Townsville."

Reply #728663 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Patty Mills, Ben Simmons both played junior afl, reputedly at a decently high level.

This sort of question about transferability of skills and careers between the 2 sports is kind of ubiquitous on here, it makes regular appearances.

Reply #728665 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Tom Fullarton played 8 games with the Bullets from 2016-18.

Corey Maynard played 19 games for the Taipans in 2014-15 and 25 games with the Crocs in 2015-16.

Reply #728684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Josh Jenkins ever play a game at Townsville?

Reply #728722 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Did Matt Illman ever play in the AFL in the end?

Reply #728900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey Maynard was on the roster (not a DP) for the Taipans before going to Townsville.

Reply #728947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think some of the respondents here may be confusing the term AFL for Aussie Rules. Ben and Patty for example never played AFL, but they may have played Australian Rules Football. I think Patty played at a decent level, but unless you ask Ben on 60 minutes - he did not play at a serious level or age group.

Reply #728997 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Josh Jenkins never played a game he was only a practice player in his one season with Townsville.

Matt Illman never made it to AFL level he played for West Adelaide in the SANFL.

Another one that tried to make the switch was former 36er Jordan Dodman he signed with North Adelaide in the SANFL but unlike Illman I'm not sure he ever made it to league level and spent most of his time in their reserves team.

Reply #729073 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Dean Brogan won a title in the NBL and a flag in the AFL.

Reply #729076 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Only one player has represented Australia in 2 sports in a single Olympics.

1956, Melbourne

Lindsey Gaze, basketball and Australian Rules Football (well before AFL era).

Aus Rules was exhibition, but still counts.

Reply #729094 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754