Wendy Byrd
Years ago

White American NBA players

I was just thinking, are there any good White American players any more?

I was scanning a list of the top NBA performers this season and there are no White American players. There are many excellent White players - but they are European (Jokic, Doncic, Vucevic etc).

The first ones coming up on the list were Mason Plumlee, Cody Zeller etc. Pretty terrible.

What's happened to White American basketball players? Or are they a victim of the American obesity crisis?

Topic #44643 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good Bless Hwhite America!

Reply #728648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TJ McConnel, JJ Reddick, Gordon Hayward, Kyle Korver are all pretty good.

Reply #728652 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"I think it's the most insulting thing I've ever been asked," Trump responded over the phone. “I think it's the most insulting article I've ever had written.”

Reply #728657 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

"TJ McConnel, JJ Reddick, Gordon Hayward, Kyle Korver are all pretty good."

There's not much there when you consider how many players there are.

Yes, of course we would expect this to some extent due to genetics, but at least Europe still has produces the stars. Jokic, Doncic, Porzingis are guys most NBA teams would happily build around. White America doesn't seem to have any stars.

I guess Kevin Love and Hayward, although the latter has not been a star in his comeback from injury.

Reply #728662 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

The OP is a moron.

Reply #728668 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

Terrico is one of the best, if not the best.

Reply #728670 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Europeans are a different breed, they are taught to read the game and pass better than USA or anywhere else in the world. White Americans come through the same system as African Americans but are (generally speaking as there is the odd exception) not as gifted athletically. As such the African American athletes dominate the sport- Larry Bird said the same over 30 years ago. In 20 years time Australia will be the same I believe with the African immigrants coming to the country.

No big deal really, after all we are all human aren't we?

Reply #728673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously. WE need this topic for why?

Reply #728674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top level basketball is a sport for (mostly) very tall, black people.

Reply #728675 | Report this post

our game  
Years ago

I think you'll find most leagues are full of the best basketball players available irrespective of the amount of pigment in their skin

Reply #728678 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Jack White got potential but he an Aussie

Reply #728681 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

If it was all about skin colour, then we wouldn't have those top, top European players as mentioned. Even before this era we had guys like Gasol and Dirk being leading players in championship teams.

Reply #728682 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

"I think you'll find most leagues are full of the best basketball players available irrespective of the amount of pigment in their skin"

At the highest levels such as NBA, Euroleague, NBL and other notable leagues around the world- yes true.

At junior level, at least here in WA I would contend that is not always the case. For example an all aboriginal team was banned from the state championships because they won games the previous year by too big a margins.. yet that same team was invited to tour China by their communist Government.. go figure! Sad indictment on Basketball WA indeed

Reply #728685 | Report this post

JD  
Years ago

Wendy Byrd, what a terrible post. Give yourself an uppercut.

Reply #728686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^5. Talk about racist.

Reply #728687 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Anonymous #687 I couldn't think of any other reason than the one you proposed.. like I said very sad

Reply #728689 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

I'd suggest when your finished contemplating if there’s any good white players in the nba, perhaps get started on If there’s any good players with webbed feet, that may also make an interesting, mildly ignorant thread.

Reply #728705 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

White American players are few and far between at the highest levels of the NBA. It has been said and written before over and over again. I don't see the problem with the topic

Reply #728708 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

"I'd suggest when your finished contemplating if there's any good white players in the nba, perhaps get started on If there’s any good players with webbed feet, that may also make an interesting, mildly ignorant thread."

It wasn't about white players generally. It was about white American players. Considering America produces so many good (let's face it, outstanding) players generally, I found it an interesting contrast. Yes, I am aware of the athletic differences but you could counter that by bringing to the table the quality Europeans that have been and are still around. They outnumber the quality white American players.

It is interesting. It's an observation, and for those trying to twist it as racist, I guess I should expect that from the simple minded.

Reply #728713 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

I would have hoped this didn't need explanation. The oversight is the generalization & categorization of athletes according to skin color, it’s a poor method of dividing an increasingly diverse group.

I’d suggest a more interesting question would be to discuss the lack of players of particular or atypical style/skill set.

Anyone who’s attended an NBA game recently would agree it’s a freak show in terms of players size, ajility & skill sets.

Reply #728719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wendy Bird" you are the racist with a topic like this.
Perhaps ask how many non afro americans play in the NBA? Why does black / white even need to be mentioned?
I know who is the simple minded person here. The OP.

Reply #728785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think about the history of the NBA and how many actual GREAT players have there been that are white american (non euro or sth american).

Bird, West, Mikan, Barry, Mullin, Stockton, Walton, Havlicek, Pistol Pete, McHale, Cousy... can u count Nash? thats probably it.

Reply #728824 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

History- yes. Today- no. We are talking about today, here and now

Reply #728828 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

You're kidding yourself aren't you? Guess you would be the same people that tell us that women's sport is just as good quality as men's.

Reply #728913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wendy" starts a thread claiming that obesity is a white person problem and then later on pretends to be sincere.
Just go away troll.

Reply #728920 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Keith Van Horn, Eric montross, big country, white Mamba.

Reply #728962 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/theundefeated.com/features/white-american-nba-players/amp/

Im out.. and this article is 3 years old. It's been said and written about over and over. Euro’s are a different breed and are coached differently- I have been there and have seen it

Reply #728964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I miss the good old days when there were guys running around like Larry Bird, John Stockton, Jackie Moon, Ed Monix, etc

Reply #728966 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

"https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/theundefeated.com/features/white-american-nba-players/amp/

Im out.. and this article is 3 years old. It's been said and written about over and over. Euro's are a different breed and are coached differently- I have been there and have seen it"

Someone tell them they're not allowed to call white players white!

Reply #728978 | Report this post

Norts  
Years ago

Steve Nash and Jason Kidd were the last great white (North) American players. Kevin Love has been the best since.
Hayward had he not been injured, could have been...

Reply #728982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jason Kidd was white???

Reply #728983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LeBron had he not been born black, could have been as well

Reply #728984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Colour shouldn't matter!

These guys have great careers but most end up broke and back in the ghetto quick smart once the white owners and corporates have made there money and do the same process again on the next up and comer!

Reply #729052 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

With what we know about genetics, the whole race topic in today's world is stupid. Race is an invented categorization we apply to people based on the tone of their skin. Is Blake Griffin black, or white? He's as black as he is white using the race argument.

Reply #729063 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Exactly, and if you go back far enough they're all part white.

Reply #729068 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

(the African Americans)

Reply #729069 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Steph curry is pretty good.

Reply #729070 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

So we're not allowed to distinguish between black and white players yet we can readily call for a NBL team to bring in another import when they're struggling. Double standards!

Reply #729071 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

And cue the eugenicists

Reply #729088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did someone say TJ is pretty good this blog is getting worse and worse ahhaahhahahahah

Reply #729089 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The answer is definately somewhere in the movie White men can't jump.

Reply #729211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White men can't jump

Reply #729216 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754