Isaac
Years ago

Kobe vs Harden

Two contentious players. Your thoughts?

Topic #44649 | Report this topic

Greggo  
Years ago

Harden's usage is absurd but so is his efficiency. Hard to truly compare, and winning has to come into it at some point, but what Harden is doing this year is just completely insane.

Reply #729093 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's averaged 44/9/9 in January.

Reply #729095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no argument on offense. Harden is light years ahead. He is so ridiculously efficient and his vision is probably better too.

Kobe takes a dump on hardens defense though.

Reply #729111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gotta find it first before he can take a dump on it. good luck with that kobe you'll need it.

Reply #729112 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Numbers smumbers. Kobe's ballhogging was infinity more entertaining to watch than Harden's dribble-a-thon.

Reply #729119 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

Let's see harden do it in the playoffs first. He normally drops off in The post season but I've the feeling he keeps it up this year

Reply #729120 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm not a huge Kobe fan, but I'd take him in a heartbeat in his prime over Harden because he's a better basketballer. Harden is a great scorer, but like I said in the last Harden thread he is a master at taking advantage of the current state of NBA officiating as well. He's a genius for it, but I don't really find Harden or the Rockets a lot of fun to watch over 48 mins. But hey, lots of good highlights on Instagram, especially his step back three ankle breaker where he takes 6 steps to get into his shooting motion.

I'll reluctantly say that Harden's D has improved beyond the comically bad point it was at a few years ago, but being a great defender requires having a bit of mongrel in you. Kobe had that, Harden definitely does not.

Reply #729121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden lightyears ahead..... Hi Tim Duncan / LeBron fan

Reply #729140 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Kobe has never played at the level Harden is right now, or even Harden last season, so that means Harden is a better player when comparing, but he needs to achieve alot over the next 5-10 years to go down as a greater player on the all time list.

Reply #729141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Todays refs? Or 2000's refs?

Reply #729143 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kobe's 2005-06 is the closest to Harden this year, but I'd like to see those stats adjusted for pace - I'm sure there's a site that does just that. Nearly half the turnovers for Kobe though, more assists for Harden. I also suspect assists are dished out more liberally now than 10+ years ago.

Reply #729146 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Last week Harden went 1/17 from three. Tied for the record for missed threes in a game. Yet I feel like everyone ignores the bad?

Reply #729164 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

You cant talk about the refs in this case, same as the Lebron arguments vs the past, Harden is so physically strong he would have been able to bully opponents back then, and his defense would even be alot better because he could use his physicality to bump and hold. If twigs like Reggie Miller and Ray Allen could handle the era, Harden would have thrived.

Reply #729191 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

You know how averages come about Perthworld? Yes Harden went 1/17, not good, but his % is clearly better, meaning Kobe had a lot of ugly shooting performances in 05/06 which don't get talked about either.

Reply #729193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1/17 from 3 is almost inevitable if you take them in the sorts of numbers that Harden does, for a long enough period of time. So you have Curry going 0/11. That's bad in isolation, but not in context.

Harden v Kobe is a great summary of why comparing stars across eras is so hard. I don't think Harden could have done what Kobe did. I think if he'd come along 10-15 years later, Kobe would have had a decent shot at being as good if not better than Harden. But if you put Kobe as he actually played on the 2019 Rockets, they probably don't make the playoffs.

One of the most interesting things about Harden is that he's not a great shooter in any conventional sense. 85.5% FT, only 36.5% from 3 for his career and 37.5% this season. Curry is making more 3s on fewer attempts so it's not even that Harden is freakishly accurate for such a high volume shooter. His outstanding attributes are really his foul-drawing ability and the step-back. A lot is made of off-the-dribble shooting prowess but if a team can reliably create an equally valuable shot by running someone off a screen, does it matter whether it's off the catch or the bounce? If that's true, then really Harden's brilliance is in drawing fouls, which is entirely a product of the way the game is called right now.

I think Harden, really, is more a product of the specific era in which he plays than almost any other superstar we've seen.

Reply #729204 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Imagine it was Harden with Shaq at his peak together! Rather than "my turn your turn" as it was, Hardens pick and roll mastery with Shaq would be impossible to handle.

Reply #729207 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Has Harden ever missed 30 shots from the field in one game before? I remember in one game when Shaq was out injured Kobe shot 17/47 from the field.

Reply #729209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy - Except Kobe shot better % than Harden from the field. Your opinion is clueless. 45% shooting for a SG is elite.

Reply #729215 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Ah, clueless? I believe the 1/17 we're talking about is from 3, harden 37% and Kobe 34%.

Reply #729222 | Report this post

Lets look at some obejctive facts

As of now, the Milwakee Bucks are the best defensive team in terms of defensive efficiency with a rating of 1.011.

The same defensive efficiency rating oof 1.011 would rank 20th in the 2003/04 season.

So the BEST defensive team today would have ranked 20th in the 03/04 season.

Reply #729258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

let's look at some half-arsed analysis.
you can TOTALLY take some stats generated in one season against a collection of opponents of that same season, and transplant them to a season of a different era and make "objective" comparisons. you totally can. no sarcasm there at all. noooooo.

Reply #729259 | Report this post

Look at the defenses Harden faces toay against what Kobe faced.

That is the difference.

Reply #729261 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754