Jack Toft
Years ago

Sydney v Adelaide Jan 19

Top of the table Sydney host the Sixers in what should be a very entertaining game.

Sydney are holding onto top spot by a slender margin and with Melbourne playing in Perth tomorrow need to win to hold the spot. The Sixers are sort of a game behind Brisbane, who play their bogey side, Cairns, tonight.

Sydney were all over Adelaide last time they met, but Adelaide had the better of Sydney prior to that. Newley played like a man trying to impress. There has been a lot of water under the bridge since then. Sydney's Wear has lifted and the rest of the team has clicked. They have gone from a noisy bunch of kindy kids, to a sweat sounding acapulco Boy Band (they just need the double denim to match their blonded hair tips)

Adelaide has lost Moore, Ramone Moore, but have brought in Brucey, who I thought didn't embarrass himself in his first 5 minutes as a Sixer. Who is this #9 for the Sixers? It was good to see Jack McVeigh pull the bench splinters from his bum and hit the court to get 8 points.

There's plenty of good matchups in the starting 5's to consider today, but like all NBL games, the benches give the teams the edge. For Adelaide, the human Brick Sh!thouse (Froling) is the X factor against the Bogie man. Deng is very much a confidence player and if his first 3 attempt is nothing but net, expect him to score a point a minute of play. For Sydney, Kickert is their main X man and Bowen is a guy who is screaming out for a double double.

Lots of pressure on both teams to get a win, but Sydney at home should take advantage of Adelaide and get this one by 6.

Topic #44652 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like Adelaide to win but think Sydney will crap all over them.

Reply #729231 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Damn it, I still believe. Go Sixers!

Meech needs to be the man.

Nice write up as always, Jack.

Reply #729237 | Report this post

Kings4life  
Years ago

With the addition of Turner to replace poopoo Pineau and Wearishegoing, the Kings should win this by 10. However if Turner does not step up to NBL level, the Kings will regret not replacing Wear with Conger some 2 months ago.

Reply #729246 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

First home game I'm going to miss this season which sucks. The way we've been playing lately I wouldn't be shocked with a loss, but with the way Adelaide defend we shouldn't have to suffer through the kind of scoring droughts we have been either.

DJ is the x-factor I think. Killed the Kings in the first two meetings, and we don't have a real good matchup for him.

Reply #729249 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"And the winner is Sydeney"

Reply #729254 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Bad missed foul call on Doyle.

Reply #729270 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

JVG interviewed at 1/4 time.

Reply #729271 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Wow, Wiley just posterised Bogut.. first time it has been done to him in this league. Sydney has trouble with Adelaide's game style

Reply #729272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner so out of his depth early, Froling licking hid lips, looks very slow as well, commentary talking up though.

Reply #729273 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings having trouble with just about every style lately. We look poor on both ends tonight, from the opening tip.

Reply #729274 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Can Wear and a Kickert coexist?

They both started badly. Wear contributing a bit now, Kickert looks worse imho.

Reply #729275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers seem to be immune to defence right now they're rolling

Reply #729276 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kickert has faded big time since around the FIBA break I'd say.

Reply #729277 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wiley 17pts at HT.

Reply #729278 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Adelaide are building at the right time. Finals are in the air. Sixers may just have got the timing of building confidence game plan perfectly timed as stepping stone. Too hard to be up all season. Important to do so pointy end. Get sense Perth Melbourne kings are fading. Brisbane also upward trend.

Reply #729279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's tool time in Sydney

Reply #729281 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

All that commotion.

Kings fans respond with total apathy.

Reply #729282 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Now they care after bad call on Lisch

Reply #729283 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure what's more ordinary, the Kings effort, or the refereeing.

Reply #729284 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Some great refereeing once again. Good stuff.

Reply #729285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone tell the fans it's not a library so they're allowed to make some noise and support their team

Reply #729286 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Reply #729287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only the video director was docked $20 for every close-up cut away during actual ball on court game time, I would be happy

Reply #729288 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Kings' first signs of crumbling.

Reply #729289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they are pretenders with out Bogut, the whole set up from day one under JVG has been wrong.

Reply #729290 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol... phantom travel call. At least the refereeing is woeful both ways.

Reply #729291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they need to add another American

Reply #729293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phantom travel? You mean obvious travel. Easy call.

Reply #729294 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Turner showing he can accumulate fouls faster than jervis!!!!

Reply #729295 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I think Sydney have had the worst of the dodgy calls.

Reply #729296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner was the foul king in the seabl, why is anybody surprised.

Reply #729297 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Sydney have had the lion's share of bad calls I'd agree. Not why we are losing though. Shocking effort this one. Deserve to get blown out in the 4th Q.

Reply #729298 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

And Bogut fouls out. 40 point loss is possible.

Reply #729299 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sixers would love getting Kings in a semi final series.

Reply #729300 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Bogut fouled out. Blowout on the horizon. Or 36ers to play bench even more.

Reply #729301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide are coming, make no doubt about it.

Reply #729303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is still under contract for the kings, need a clean out.

Reply #729305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another nail in the cats coffin. This sixers team is worthy of a playoff spot they can do some damage.

Reply #729306 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gaze is off contract. That's the most important one.

Reply #729307 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Has Gaze given up on Turner already?

Reply #729308 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The thought of the Cats not making the top 4 because we lose this game has made me feel a little bit better, thanks anon.

Reply #729309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People looking in the record books for the last time a team put up this many points

Reply #729312 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

At least we get some Wilson minutes.

Reply #729313 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Did Johnson wipe blood on Kickert?? That would be disgusting.

Reply #729314 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He sure did. Abhorrent by DJ.

Reply #729315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK. Heals love for Froling is giving me the sh%$s

Oh, he is his agent. Thanks right

Reply #729316 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

If we just judged the second half of the season, could Froling win both ROTY and 6th man awards???

Reply #729317 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Sorry Sixers, but I hope Froling signs with Perth so I get a new super villain to cheer against, because it's been awhile since Redhage suited up and no one else has really made the cut yet.

Reply #729318 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon316

I am not in business with Heal. (I still have some money and common sense).

Reply #729319 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Does Heal pick his own interviewees?

Reply #729321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not only Gazes fault, his side is old and his bench can’t defend a under 12 team. JVG has put three sides together talking it up from day one, why is he still there, the new owner should punt him.
Kings need three wins and should make finals but if Bogut gets fouled out or injuries there gone.

Reply #729322 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That was a quality beatdown.

Reply #729323 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Probably. He's such a narcissist.

Reply #729324 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

(Heal)

Reply #729325 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Come on now it was clearly Kickert's own blood.

Nice to give the big money pretty boys a smashing on their own court. We're 3-1 against the Kings this season if we make the playoffs they will do everything they can to avoid playing a series against us. I said before the season DJ would be a tough match up for Bogut.

Remmeeber it's the way it shatters that matters.

Reply #729326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal does talk his mates up which is shit, but Froling is the real deal, forget Perth he is nba bound.

Reply #729327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

apparently at least one NBA is exceptionally keen to get foolings a multi-year contract , if only ensure that 10% it goes to Hheal entirely up front, so Heal will have some money to be sued for. ;)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5719185/Fraud-charges-against-basketball-great-Shane-Heal-dropped-witness-no-show.html

Reply #729328 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Froling is under contract next season.

Reply #729330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling*
NBA Coach*

Reply #729331 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah, Froling is out of the NBL soon and hopefully changes agents.

Reply #729332 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

It's the way it crumbles then fumbles.

Reply #729335 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

As much as Drmic is a wanker I think Adelaide have what it takes to win the chip.

Reply #729338 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Adelaide 7-2 over the last 9 games and appear to be settling with Conger in the line up for a while and improved intensity, rebounding and bench production. Aside from an awesome 4th quarter by Brisbane turning a 9 point deficit into a solid road win, Adelaide appear to have each team's measure building at the right time of season. 3 last shot losses have them fighting to be in the top 4. Ball bounces differently on those and Adelaide are top at 15-7. Pretty impressive with the key players gone from last season’s team and a few rookies coming in and really contributing. Wonder if people are still questioning Doyle’s signing now as 9/10th man? He’s been very solid if not very good in the regular, occasional minutes Joey uses him for.

Reply #729341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

those people who said Adelaide would be good once Conger settled in were right. He has now and the sixers look as good as anyone in the league.

Reply #729343 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree championship is clearly on radar.

Reply #729347 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Bogut fouled out but they also let a lot of his fouls slide. Probably getting away with more since his dummy spit earlier in the season.

Reply #729351 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Adelaide 7-2 over the last 9 games and appear to be settling with Conger in the line up for a while and improved intensity, rebounding and bench production. Aside from an awesome 4th quarter by Brisbane turning a 9 point deficit into a solid road win, Adelaide appear to have each team's measure building at the right time of season. 3 last shot losses have them fighting to be in the top 4. Ball bounces differently on those and Adelaide are top at 15-7. Pretty impressive with the key players gone from last season's team and a few rookies coming in and really contributing. Wonder if people are still questioning Doyle’s signing now as 9/10th man? He’s been very solid if not very good in the regular, occasional minutes Joey uses him for."

Great post there Cavolo! It does put the Brisbane game into perspective - though I am still spitting chips that we lost that by going away from what worked in the first three quarters!

Reply #729356 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Froling is under contract next season."

Zodiac, you're usually pretty good with who is signed. Do we currently have DJ, Drmic, Froling and McVeigh signed for next season? Is there anyone else? Maybe Deng or Doyle?

Reply #729357 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Send is contracted. Thought Doyle was too. Group needs to stay together and bring success. Experience is beginning to show. Kings are woeful. But we all known that. Collywobbles kingswobbles. Tarred same brush. Both crumblers.

Reply #729359 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Jack McVeigh has provided very useful energy to the team and made Moore's loss less damaging.

Great to see him making the most of the opportunity given the things said by some of his knockers. I hope he can keep it up. I believe he is also contracted for next season.

Reply #729362 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Probably the best I've seen the Sixers play from start to finish this season. There's every reason to be extremely positive about Froling. His skill set is impressive and expansive. What other big guys in the NBL can pull up on the break and nail a three like he did at the end of the first quarter? And he runs the floor brilliantly for a big man. So many things to like. Wiley's first half also deserves a mention. From his very first touch he looked the goods tonight.

It's a shame the Sixers lost 2 buzzer beaters at home to Brisbane and Illawarra and then had the 4th qtr fade out against Brisbane but they have made up for it with a number of impressive road wins.

The Wildcats will be fired up and looking for revenge Friday so looking forward to watching the Sixers in person to see how they handle it.

Reply #729367 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Impresive game by the Sixers. Every player came on, seemed to know their role and contributed. Doyle has been giving some excellent minutes all season and McVeigh has done extremely well in the last couple of games when he has got an opportunity and has made a serious argument for more minutes. Froling continues to impress and as others said probably will be heading to the nba in the future. One of the great things about the Joey Wright era at the Sixers has been the recruitment and development of great young talent. Each year we seem to get some great young players who have a ton of confidence and are ready to produce. It has been an aspect that has been very satisfying to watch over the last few years.

I do struggle with what to make of Wiley. I haven't been sold on him all season as he seems to make a lot of mistakes defensively, has an unreliable jump shot and doesn’t have great hands. Yet he has had a few games where he has just come out and dominated like today where he really got the Sixers going.

I must say I have become a huge Sobey fan this season. He seems to cop a bit of flack on this Forum but he has been the Sixers most consistent player both offensively and defensively this year. Defensively in particular, he impresses week after week and is almost always guarding the oppositions best perimeter player. A few things I would be interested to hear others thoughts on are:
1. Is there any Australian guard you would take ahead of Sobey in the league right now? (I think the only one close is Goulding but currently I would still take Sobey)
2. Is Sobey the best Australian guard the Sixers have had since Brett Maher? (I think yes, the only one close for me is Gibson but I think Sobey’s year this year has been better than any one of Gibson’s for the Sixers)

Reply #729368 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Zodiac, you're usually pretty good with who is signed. Do we currently have DJ, Drmic, Froling and McVeigh signed for next season? Is there anyone else? Maybe Deng or Doyle?

DJ, Drmic, Froling, McVeigh and Doyle are signed Sobey, Deng & Teys will be FA's.

Reply #729369 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Forgot Ramone Moore under contract too.

Reply #729370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings are on the precipice. Bogut looks either too old or is completely disinterested. And they now have two imports who aren't NBL standard. Plus a coach who is completely out of his depth. Next weekend will tell us if this is a disaster in the making.

Reply #729376 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Interesting question Uncle Phil. The thing I like about Sobey this season is he's developed more dimensions to his offensive game. He can now score in so many ways. He was always good on the fast break but he's added a lot to his arsenal. Combine that with the fact that he's had to carry the ball a lot more this season without a recognised point guard and never takes a break on defense. He's putting together a seriously good season.

Are there any other guards you'd take ahead of Sobey this season? The only 2 that come to mind are Gliddon and Goudling. Both shoot the three better than Sobey but for mine Sobey just does more on the court and is more dynamic. He passes and rebounds better than both of these guys despite being smaller and I'd take his defence over both of these guys too. It is a close call between Gliddon and Sobey especially the way Gliddon is shooting this season. 44% FG%, 42% 3pg% and 94% FT% is very impressive. He has more poise than Sobey but can also be a little passive at times. The same could not be said of
Sobey.

Is he the best Sixer guard since Maher? I think so too. I'd take him over Gibo as his skillset is a lot bigger.

Full credit to Joey - you'd have to say the Sixers have had the best contingent of Aussie talent over the last few seasons with the evergreen DJ, Creek, Sobey, Hodgson, Drmic Deng and now Froling.

Reply #729378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering Sobey has played the point guard all season, comparing him to Glidon and Goulding is not a true indication in his worth this season. While all three have been good Sobey has been very good and deserves the raps. Cadee has also had his best season playing the point for Brisbane.

Reply #729380 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Probably Joey's best claim to be a good players coach is the maturity, self cpontrol and mental consistency that DJ and Sobey seem to have finally achieved. I can't think at the moment of any other confirmed (IMHO) NBL "head cases" that have actually left the that "players club membership" while still playing NBL, and even more so - have actually gotten better as players.

Reply #729382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey clearly knows talent as a coach and most guys tend to perform and get better under him.

Reply #729385 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

If Joey didn't pick up Sobey when he did I wonder what he would be doing right now? Hodgeson was an injury prone discard too when he brought him on board.

Reply #729386 | Report this post

Kings4life  
Years ago

There are 4 problems with the Kings: First is balance- Gaze season 1 - no 1 and no 5. Gaze season 2 - no 5. Gaze season 3 - no 4. Second is rebounds - every team are going to miss shots. You need to get rebounds and second chance shots. This is partly due to their last problem. Thirdly Bogut is not as good as his mates/commentators make out that is the MVP centre- he is too slow to defend the perimeter, and thus looks ordinary against anyone who can shoot the 8 footer - DJ, Wiley, Froling, Angus Beef, and Conklin. Don't have to be a genius coach- 8 footer or fake and drive. Lastly lack of athleticism - I'm sure all the Kings players are trying their hardest and the desire is there, but they are just too old and/or not athletic enough. How can you out-rebound a team who have 10 out of 11 players who consistently dunk and play above the ring - whilst on the Kings only Bogut and Deng Deng.

Reply #729390 | Report this post

Kings4life  
Years ago

There are 4 problems with the Kings: First is balance- Gaze season 1 - no 1 and no 5. Gaze season 2 - no 5. Gaze season 3 - no 4. Second is rebounds - every team are going to miss shots. You need to get rebounds and second chance shots. If the Kings offence (which is run by GAZE) is the shuffle, then to sit all your players around the 3 point line - how are they going to rebounds with no one in the paint? The lack of rebounding is also due to their last problem. Thirdly Bogut is not as good as his mates/commentators make out that is the MVP centre- he is too slow to defend the perimeter, and thus looks ordinary against anyone who can shoot the 8 footer - DJ, Wiley, Froling, Angus Beef, and Conklin. Don't have to be a genius coach- 8 footer or fake and drive. Lastly lack of athleticism - I'm sure all the Kings players are trying their hardest and the desire is there, but they are just too old and/or not athletic enough. How can you out-rebound a team who have 10 out of 11 players who consistently dunk and play above the ring - whilst on the Kings only Bogut and Deng Deng.

Reply #729391 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Someone needs to call the police! There's been murder on the boards!

Majok Deng the only Sixer shot jacking and failing to shoot over 50%.

Reply #729395 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sydney - not kings - jokers. And its a losing hand.

Reply #729399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Bogut play?

Reply #729407 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Someone needs to call the police! There's been murder on the boards!

Well at least we know the Kings are safe somewhere, since they were nowhere near the boards.

Reply #729419 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Test

Reply #729427 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How many of the 7 remaining games do the Kings need to win to make the playoffs?

Reply #729428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably 3. But the way they played against Adelaide, particularly with their complete lack of resistance or effort, means nothing is certain anymore.

Reply #729430 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Gaze season 1 - no 1 and no 5. Gaze season 2 - no 5. Gaze season 3 - no 4."

Who's the common denominator there? That's your problem

Reply #729432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is the common denominator there but JVG put these sides together. It'll be interesting to see what the new owner does come seasons end.

Reply #729434 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^Very Old +1

Sobey's emergent maturity over this has been a revelation. I think he's playing better than his breakout season.

PS - yesterday was the best performance I've seen from the 36ers this season, gamewise. Focused and consistent, both ends of the court, from go to whoa. Extraordinary performance.

After that performance, I've revised my view of whether they can tip Perth out of the playoffs. I now think the balance slightly favours the 36ers.

Reply #729436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Kings don't win the title, which is looking increasingly likely, both Gaze and Van Groningen will shown the door.

Reply #729440 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

They'll just keep spending until they buy a title. The league will get it done at some stage like they did with United last year.

Reply #729444 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Daniel Johnson of the Adelaide 36ers has been fined $500 for unsportsmanlike behaviour following an incident in last Saturday's game against the Sydney Kings."

Link

Reply #730141 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson of the Adelaide 36ers has been fined $500 for unsportsmanlike behaviour following an incident in last Saturday's game against the Sydney Kings

Small matter but DJ is our Captain and should know better than this.

Reply #730146 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Kickert was being a massive tool the whole game and it was Kickerts blood. However, it wasn't a great look.

Reply #730171 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:51 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754