Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Crowd attendances up 7% this season

I heard Brad Rosen state this on the Fox Sports coverage last night.

Is this a good increase?

Anyone know how tv ratings are going this season?

Topic #44654 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Great to hear numbers are up. Don't know about TV ratings, but I have my doubts with TV ratings anyhow.

Crowd attendances in any sport need to be good and I think there is a fine line between revenue and support. A packed stadium with home town supporters gives the home team an edge of game day and from a spectator perspective a packed stadium gives a sense of excitement.

Obviously a higher ticket price means more revenue for the teams, but places a downward pressure on numbers.

A sell-out each and every game suggests you need a bigger stadium. I would say if average attendance is say +80% of the stadium capacity then you're probably around the mark.

Reply #729244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel like they would have hoped it would be a bit higher.

When you think about it though it's also pretty good considering the fuxturing.

Been some smaller perth crowds during midday games. Throw into that a fair few teams have played Thursday/Monday games which aren't exactly ideal for some fans. As well as a lack of Saturday night games which would have been popular for attendance.

Reply #729245 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Decent increase on the surface, but I'd rather see some team-by-team percentages rather than league overall to really know what's going on.

Reply #729248 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

A great result considering all the Saturday afternoon games, would be at least 5-10% up on those numbers if they had more Friday and Saturday night games. So a 7% increase is huge in the scheme of things. And the absolute pathetic scheduling of hardly a single Saturday night game has really hurt attendances and TV ratings. One TV Saturday afternoon game is all that they needed for channel 9...

Who wants to stay inside in the middle of a perfect Saturday afternoon in summer and spring to watch a game.

I'm telling you now, my kids will never be stuck inside on a perfect day to watch TV, and judging by my large group of friends not many people do in the middle of summer.

This has been of of the biggest mistakes and only mistakes made by Larry and his team.

Reply #729250 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It seems to me that both Hawks and (inexplicably) Cairns have been getting bigger crowds this year based solely on how their arenas look on TV, which is great.

Reply #729251 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"AngusH
A few minutes ago

It seems to me that both Hawks and (inexplicably) Cairns have been getting bigger crowds this year based solely on how their arenas look on TV, which is great."

I'd agree since Christmas, Angus, but I think the Hawks crowds looked poor early in the season.

Those 2 venues probably need to sell out games more often and average a higher percentage of seats sold, simply because they are smaller venues. Could Cairns and Illawarra try to sell sponsors or upmarket packages including catering, to value add and improve their profit margins? I’ve been to Gold Coast Suns games with those sorts of packages. Made for a nice experience.

Reply #729255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the kings didn't play at the equivalent of siberia the crowds would be much higher.

Reply #729262 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Last week in Sydney was the most Hawks fan I'd seen make the trip up the Princes Highway in years too I'd say.

Reply #729268 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Fake news!

Same fool said Jarrod McVeigh left the Swans to play for Adelaide also!

Reply #729455 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm guessing this 7% increase is mostly due to Sydney?

Reply #729705 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

7% is a good result given the self sabotage of the scheduling.

Imagine if someone competent was running the league.

Reply #729726 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"7% is a good result given the self sabotage of the scheduling.

Imagine if someone competent was running the league."

I'm guessing you’re talking about Sat arvo games, with fewer Sat night games.

Another way of looking at that is to consider the whole dynamic. NBL / LK must have known they were risking game attendances falling, but thought it was worth the risk to get greater exposure will th the fta deal on 9GO.

TV audience is up this season. Check
Crowd figures at games are up this season. Check.

Looks like a win win for the league. Sponsors, advertisers and (long term) broadcast partners will look on this favourably for future seasons, as long as the trajectory of those numbers keeps its trend upwards.

For the crowd numbers and corporate support for individual teams, perhaps the NBL could help them more with local marketing (especially for regional teams) but the franchises themselves need to work with their local business communities to make NBL games events they want to be seen to be involved with.

Reply #729785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-10/too-much-sport-ratings-attendance-cricket-football-basketball/10792710

Basketball only sport improving, surviving without tv deal. Cricket in the doldrums after going from free to air.
Talks about streaming but doesn't actually tell you how many people watching stream.

Reply #733400 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interesting the talk about cricket being down, but if you look average is down but total attendance and viewers is up. Volume is important to sponsors, as are repeat viewers (hence why Fox is so important to the NBL) so there is good and bad in terms of return on investment.

The NBL just seems to get very similar TV numbers year on year. Not sure what can be done. I think playing all the home teams games on FTA in their city is a must to build more regular audiences, but how do you make that happen?

Reply #733401 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754