billo
Years ago

Euro Champs Semis

It's down to the final 4 in the European Championships. Looking at the calibre of teams and players I'd say this would comfortably be the 3rd biggest international tournament in world basketball, I'm not sure what the coverage is like in Australia but in the UK it is non existant. I've just returned from Greece where they're mad for it, all the Greece games are shown everywhere (jewellery shops, clothing shops, tavernas etc) and they were showing plenty of all others games on the tele. I caught the second half of the Greece Russia quarterfinal, Greece fought back well to edge out a close victory, AK was clearly best of court with 20 and 16 - he's bloody massive out there, I can't imagine a side anywhere in the world that wouldn't be improved by his presence. Was interesting to see the Russian starting point, a black American, similar to when RIcky Grace played for Oz. SOmehow he didn't look right playing for Russia, he had a very US style game (reminded me a bit of Farley) rather than the more rigid European style.

The 2 semis are Greece v France (Greece won comfortably in their minor round game restricting France to 14 first half points despite Tony Parker's best efforts) and Germany v SPain with Nowitzki second in the tourney in points (26.6) and rebounds (11.6). Pau Gasol isn't playing for SPain.

Intersting to see some of the big names like Lithuania, S & M, Russia (are they still a force?) and Croatia not make it through to the semis.

Topic #4466 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Any idea why some guys aren't playing, e.g., Gasol? And isn't Udrih from Slovenija? I didn't see him on the boxscore.

No coverage here, though I was just on the NBA site which linked to some write-ups and stats.

Would be great if SBS would take a gamble and televise it really late at night.

Reply #51854 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Not sure why Gasol isn't playing, it said on the Fiba site he's over there comentating so perhaps he's carrying an injury?

Reply #51855 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Is S&M still a force? That's a very personal question!

Reply #51860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW Moses your boys got up Thursday night for another Grand Final win for Palace :-)

Didn't even need you!

Reply #51862 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

Greece and Germany are through to the final both recording 1 point wins. Just caught the last few seconds of higlights on Eurosportnews on Fox and Greece hit the game winning 3 pointer with seconds remaining on the clock. They didn't show any highlights of the other semi

Reply #51863 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Wahoo for the Palace. Hopefully I'll get another premiership cup for the kitchen for my two games I played this season!

Reply #51864 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:11 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754