12 games
249 fouls on Perth, 251 fouls on opponents
20.8 fouls per game on Perth, 20.9 fouls per game on opponent

Perth home games:

10 games
139 fouls on Perth, 203 fouls on opponents
13.9 fouls per game on Perth, 20.3 fouls per game on opponents

2 questions jump out here.

Firstly, why is there such a discrepancy between home and away?

Fouls are basically even when the Cats play on the road. When the Cats play at home, their opponents have been called for SIXTY FOUR more fouls in 10 games. That's 6.4 fouls a game, or roughly 1.6 extra fouls per quarter! For every 2 fouls called on Perth at RAC arena, 3 are called on their opponents.

Secondly, why don’t the Cats get called for fouls when they play in Perth?

In 12 away games, Perth has been called for at least 16 fouls in every single game. They have committed at least 20 fouls in 7 of their 12 away games.

In Perth, they’ve been called for 15 fouls or less in 7 of their 10 home games (including two games in single digits - 7 vs United yesterday and 8 vs NZ early in the season). Perth has not been called for 20 fouls in any home game this season. Not once.

Is this a case of MasterChef Trev’s home cooking? Or do Perth just coincidentally play totally different defence at home than they do on the road?

Or is this just a statistical anomaly based on a small sample size of 22 games?

Topic #44662 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That's 6.4 fouls a game, or roughly 1.6 extra fouls per quarter! For every 2 fouls called on Perth at RAC arena, 3 are called on their opponents"

Doesn't seem like that much of a discrepancy TBH.

Reply #729715 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's not even the discrepancy that's the most striking to me.

They've been pinged for 16 fouls or more in EVERY SINGLE away game. All 12 games. But they've only been called for 16 fouls 3 times in 10 games in Perth.

20 fouls or more in 7 away games and not once at home.

You have to admit, that seems like a pretty incredible coincidence. The refs call things very differently in Perth, it would seem.

Reply #729716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The refs call things very differently in Perth, it would seem."

Agreed. The refs are obviously getting the calls right in Perth, so one wonders why they call a different game for the Wildcats when they are in opposition territory. I wonder what the league would have to say about how the Cats are being treated on the road.

Reply #729717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV just throwing his dummy out of his cot after a loss. Nothing to see here.

Reply #729719 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Why don't you run the numbers for every team? Most people have a whinge about refs (wait until you play adelaide), build a bridge and get over it.

Reply #729729 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agree with J. You lose credibility by not putting the stats on other teams up - I would have thought that went to the heart of your investigation?

Anyone can prove a point by not offering up any comparison.

Plus, probably an unpopular opinion, but the way I see it, Perth probably deservedly earn a few home cooking calls by virtue of their crowd - so good on them. Benefits of being able to pull a big crowd so good on them.

Reply #729754 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Good on them my A$$....
Just call it correctly EVERYWHERE!

Reply #729758 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

Wildcats are much more aggressive at home and goes to the hole more. I seen more drives in yesterday's game than I have in the past 8 weeks.

Reply #729768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That discrepancy is nothing. Ever been to West Coast Eagles home game?

Reply #729769 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

LV HAS done the stats already especially on United, it didn't gel with his agenda, so decided to stick with blaming Trev.

The fact that this needed another new thread and 24 hours later indicates LV spent that time rocking in the corner.

Reply #729772 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[That discrepancy is nothing. Ever been to West Coast Eagles home game?]

Spot on!

Why is Optus Stadium the only arena in the country with a barricade separating the fans from the players?

I'll leave you all to ponder that.

Reply #729787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV has officially jumped the shark!

Reply #729788 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

LV is looking at the numbers that I posted here in this thread earlier in the season:
"Home Cooking" Thread

I'll post an update after the round finishes tonight.
Perth have indeed surged ahead of Melbourne in the Home vs Away foul discrepancy. It makes sense that the change coincides with Perth's form slump during a string of away games. Cats have "won" the foul count (committed fewer fouls than our opponent) only twice in the 9 games since my last post, whereas in the 13 games prior to that post we had won the count 10 out of 13 times and equalled our opponent the other 3 times.

Reply #729811 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

The wildcats play more aggressive at home

Reply #729813 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Then shouldn't they commit more fouls, not fewer fouls? Opposition fouls are the same home or away.

Reply #729814 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Ask a freo fan about the free kick discrepancy, not a wa thing, thats a wce thing.

Reply #729815 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think for us, "playing more aggressively" means less settling for jump shots and more inside looks for Kay & Brandt, and more penetration from the guards, which might mean committing a few extra fouls but should be outweighed by drawing more defensive fouls from opponents.

Reply #729816 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Cat's are usually up till at least the half (insert 3rd quarter fade out), and usually by a decent margin, so it would make sense they would foul less. You need to stop them from scoring so defense picks up and more fouls get committed.

Reply #729817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free throw discrepancy was only 5 (13/15 - 9/10). The 10 foul discrepancy clearly didn't have an impact like sometimes occurs with Adelaide

Reply #729823 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think for us, "playing more aggressively" means less settling for jump shots and more inside looks for Kay & Brandt, and more penetration from the guards, which might mean committing a few extra fouls but should be outweighed by drawing more defensive fouls from opponents.
Which is the exact opposite of what the numbers are saying happens. Opponent fouls are steady, Wildcats fouls are way down.

Reply #729824 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Which is the exact opposite of what the numbers are saying happens. Opponent fouls are steady, Wildcats fouls are way down.

Yep. The biggest outlier in the numbers is Perth's low foul count at home. Only twice this season has a team had a single digit foul total, and both times it was the Cats, at home.

Reply #729832 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

Perth are more switched on at home. Pay attention to the details. When you defend and foul a lot, its a sign of sloppiness

Reply #729835 | Report this post

Dr. basketball  
Years ago

The number suggest the Perth boys get a bit of a leg up from the referees at home!

Maybe the refs are intimidated by the big loud crowds Perth get.

Reply #729838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes exactly. refs being intimidated by the leagues biggest crowd is a more likely explanation if you ask me. why would a team stop paying attention to the details on the road? maybe there is someone sitting courtside in Perth constantly reminding the team not to forget the details. the club should offer that person a spot on the bench for road trips instead of one of the 10 unnecessary randoms they always bring with them.

Reply #729841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are more disciplined at home. They foul the jump shooters less (it's the one thing I've seen Trev actually yank players for) and are also less likely to foul on the break. And it wouldn't surprise me if opponents take more jump shots at Perth. I know that the two lowest foul games were against melb and NZ both of whom shoot a lot of jumpers, pull ups and fadeaways.

Reply #729844 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

After Round 14

Reply #729879 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

That last column's the one to look at there from the looks. Melbourne doing next best.

Reply #729884 | Report this post

Ell Vee  
Years ago

Perth has a 5.8 per game difference. Round that up to 6,and that's almost 8 more fouls going their way. It could quite easily be 10 if you think about it.

In summary, Perth gets 15* more fouls called their way at home than they do away.

*margin of error 5 fouls.

Reply #729892 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

You don't need the stats. You realize it while your watching their home games. It's very obvious.

Reply #729894 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Maybe they are just getting short changed away??? *sarcasm*

Reply #729903 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Refs at Perth home games can be very proud of their contributions to the 32 year finals run. Ha Ha!

Reply #729912 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Incredibly, three teams have better records on the road than at home this season (Sydney, Adelaide, Cairns) but Perth still have a massive discrepancy in favor of home (8-2 vs 5-7).

In fact if you exclude games involving Perth, home and away would be almost 50/50 this season. Which is astounding really.

Reply #729914 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In fact it'd be right on 50/50

Reply #729917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RUOK Udog?

Reply #729918 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And thanks Luuuc for those stats

Reply #729923 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I just love the fact that there's evidence to back up the feeling of home team favouritism when you watch a Perth home game. Can we pin that spreadsheet permanently into every Perth thread from now on it's gold.

Reply #729932 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My figures had a 6.3 foul advantage to Perth. Luuuc's figures are 5.8.

Still, either way, it's a huge number.

Most striking is Perth in isolation imo. Do they really commit 7 fouls (2 a quarter) less per game in Perth than they do on the road?

Reply #729933 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

My figures had a 6.3 foul advantage to Perth. Luuuc's figures are 5.8.

Discrepancy might be because of the way the boxscores show foul totals?
When there's a foul that does not count against a player (eg. when a coach gets a tech, or when a player picks up foul #6 and therefore it goes against the team rather than the player) the boxscore shows it as a foul for that team, but not a "foul against" for the other team.
I've been using the higher number (i.e. including all fouls, not just personal fouls). If you were using the other number your tallies would be different to mine.

Secondly, possible human error, most likely on my part, as I have not automated the process of getting the raw numbers into my spreadsheet.

Reply #729935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it possible to find out where teams shoot from at home and in Perth? (I'm not as good with finding stats as some people on this forum are)

It would be interesting to see if the difference in foul count is because of the types of shot taken (ie drives vs 3's vs midrange jumpshots) or if its offensive/reach in/over the limit.

Its already been said that Perth drive less away from home, maybe that's true for other teams as well.

Reply #729940 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

First place I would look for that type of thing is this awesome site
Spatial Jam

Reply #729941 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

7 fouls in one game seems a little bit strange , if I am reading Luuuc numbers alright .

Reply #729942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Secondly, possible human error, most likely on my part, as I have not automated the process of getting the raw numbers into my spreadsheet. "

Also, its possible LV made stuff in order to make his point. Wouldn't be the first time.

Reply #729947 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

His "point" seems to be proven so far. The numbers show a large disparity in fact. Especially compared to other teams.

Reply #729987 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Sunday game was weird because the Wildcats won the foul count yet Michael A hates the Wildcats.

Reply #730041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who hurt Udog?

Reply #730043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all refs hate the wildcats trev. not just aylen. 13000 independent impartial people told me this.

Reply #730044 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Next Wildcats home game against fast paced 36ers should be interesting. You would think this one should buck the trend because of the 36ers style of play. Expect a few dodgy home team calls in the mix though.

Reply #730075 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754