Isaac
Years ago

The difference between Illawarra and Cairns this season

Both are perceived as cheap, battling, regional clubs but one is 10-11 and the other only recently added a couple of wins to struggle to 3-17.

What's helped the Hawks to at least remain in touch with the rest of the league while Cairns is out of the running?

Coaching? Imports? Locals? All three?

Topic #44664 | Report this topic

Ben  
Years ago

Hawks have a FAR better spread of talent 1-10.

It might be a symptom of their standing on the ladder, but what I saw from Cairns on Saturday was woeful. Barely any enthusiasm shown and the offence seemed shoddy, little motion leading to poorer shot attempts. Weird considering they'd been playing well enough lately?

I’d be interested to hear the opinion of coaches on this forum re what they think of Kelly, sets he runs, defensive schemes etc. Are the results due to poor roster construction or do problems lay elsewhere.

Reply #729792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo !!

If Trimble played in Illawarra they would play in the GF. The coach is a genius.

Reply #729793 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

To be fair, Cairns probably deserve to be better than 3-17. I don't think 3 wins is really an accurate indication of where they're at.

They've lost a couple in OT, and plenty of other close games- like in Melbourne when they were leading for most of the night and United got them late by 7 points. They need to learn how to close out games better.

Cairns do have an uninspiring roster though, and that's why almost everyone tipped them for 7th or 8th. Most had them coming last.

Reply #729796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo for sure

Reply #729797 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If the two coaches changed teams before the preseason, the positions on the ladder would be reversed almost all the way. Illawarra might be marginally better on paper because their bench is a little better, that's it.

Reply #729800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bevo !!

If Trimble played in Illawarra they would play in the GF. The coach is a genius."

He gets the best out of his role players but he's far from a coaching genius

Reply #729801 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Illawarra gets exit row seats more than Cairns

Reply #729802 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

..... coach ...

Reply #729805 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

Most actually tipped Cairns to be decent after seeing their import signings. Go back and have a look. I knew they would be near the bottom after their first few signings.

Reply #729809 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Experience. Look at the united comeback. Veterans probably keep feeding of go back to nate who was near unstoppable in the post, cairns went dj ice cold newbill hero ball. The coach can only control so much. Vetran leaders, on the hawks are just smarter basketball players. When lucas walker is a vet expected to provide leadership and guidance, he just can't do it consistently, reverts to stupid decisions, just look at his play after been touted as mip

Reply #729818 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I think only you tipped Cairns to do well Manu Wendyworld.

Reply #729821 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

The biggest difference is probably coaching.

Roster wise they are on par with each other.

Cairns have a better set of imports, Melo (mainly), Hall and Newbill are better than Jett and Jackson (neither of which belong in the NBL) with Elbows (servicable).

But Illawarra have a better set of locals. Andersen, Coenraad, AJ, White (gulp), Naar and Larry Bird Lite (Grida) is much better than Kenney, Kuany x 2, Loughton (big drop from last year), DKD and Walker.

Reply #729830 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Bevo is a better coach, but that's only part of the story.

Perhaps its also telling that he opted for a balance of youth & expereince, whereas Cairns went predominately down the recyled path

Reply #729908 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Experience and confidence are the biggest difference, had Cairns snuck a win over United that they deserved then that would stop all the crap about 'would they win another game this season' talk.

You also have to imagine that if Cairns had Andersen then they'd have more wins just on locker room presence and everything that the legend brings to the teams he plays for.

Reply #729911 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

I don't love this idea cos I think you should make the playoffs to get the award, but since Dennis got COY with that Townsville group surely Bevo gets it this year? Especially if they get to 13 or 14 wins. Has coached the hell out of that team, even if Ced Jackson may not agree ;) I know Hawks are below .500 but surely Bevo and Lemanis only deserving candidates?

Reply #729915 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

About 2,523 KM's.

Reply #729916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns had a rookie head coach and rookie star player. They had to learn how to win but they've figured it out lately. Over the past month they've been very respectable.

Reply #730085 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Duncan, I think if Brisbane continue on their current path Lemanis will get COY for sure. However if the hawks somehow manage to sneak into the playoffs Beveridge would have to come into consideration.

I think the other coach that has done well is Wright, assuming they keep winning at a decent rate. To lose both Creek and Childress and still have your team highly-competitive is a bloody good effort, and at the moment they're about as good as anyone.

Reply #730117 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:56 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754