Jack Toft
Years ago

New Zealand v Cairns Jan 24

After getting beaten in OT in Cairns, New Zealand get a chance for a quick reply tonight, in NZ.

Cairns's season is over. Done, dusted, start planning Mad Monday and what you will dress up as, as well as the end of season trip to Bali.

NZ has a glimmer for their final’s aspirations. I have a glimmer too. My glimmer of hope is that I can ride my magical unicorn down to the brewery I own and surround myself with Swedish backpackers. It's unlikely NZ will play finals, but no reason why they won't have a crack.

The season has been tight and both teams have been like Jay from the Inbetweeners who reckons he can do it and has done it, but falls over under pressure when it matters. Both teams with a few problems, but mainly consistency and not firing all at once. It's hard to find two back to back games resulting in wins with a full team contributing. Both seem to be firing on 4 cylinders in a 6 cylinder car.

Cairns will have their work cut out tonight. At home God Defends New Zealand (Aotearoa), so I'm thinking a New Zealand win.

Topic #44677 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

NZs 3rd game in 6 days (18, 21 & 24 January) with travel NZ to Wollongong to Cairns to Auckland to NP.

Almost like an NBA schedule the past week.

Cairns have had some big travel recently too/coming up.

Also had a look on Cairns Instagram their latest/upcoming travel schedule. Sheesh they must spend a bit on travel. Surely the schedule could be improved to limit these costs more?

Reply #730317 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

NZ glimmer is a shimmer of a glimmer. Wouldn't be surprised if they let their imports go early if they get offered opportunities elsewhere.

Reply #730322 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

NZ by 11.

Reply #730330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of these strugglers is guaranteed a win so that's cool.

Reply #730340 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I think Nate will give the NZ defence some match up problems if Long gets into any foul trouble.

I am tempted to go Cairns.

Reply #730343 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Third game in 6 days, wow running up and down the court for 20 mins a night. I feel for them,lets pay them more!

Reply #730347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ yeah because sitting at your lame ass job at your boring desk is so physically taxing. Nice job hero.

Reply #730348 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Losing teams tend to implode. I saw Ili arguing with assistant Mike Fitchett. Illi has been playing crap so I don't see he has any reason to be crying foul. Armani Moore likewise, foul trouble, poor ball handling and acts it up each time he is subbed out.
Corey "brilliant or awful" mostly the latter, Webster is out to lunch.
Tai Wesley tries hard but there is only so much a 6'5'' power forward can do.
Jarrad Weekes has been sensational and I'm amazed he still shares time with Shea Illi.
Shaun Long is coming into his best form but again seems incapable of attracting fouls and limiting time on court.
Abercrombie takes 7-8 shots a game whether he plays 35minutes or 15 minutes. Finn Delany doubles his production in half the time.
Braswell needs to take stock of what is happening on court and get people out who are not performing, and put in people who can make it happen.
Any team can play the team card when things go well, but I would like to see that card when things are not going well.

Reply #730351 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Make the change like United, have Webster come off the bench, or better yet give him a DNP. It's all too little too late for NZ, Long seems to be stat chasing now too, noticed him steal a few rebounds from Wesley in their last game. Trying to live up to that name of Mr Double Double, when in fact he does not get that many double doubles. 7 DD's in 20 games.

Reply #730357 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

3 games in 7 days (not 6)

Ask a carpenter, auto mechanic, Grand Tour cyclist, steel worker, ballet dancer, circus performer etc how physically demanding that schedule isn't.

Reply #730359 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

NZ should win.
Mathematically still in the mix and wouldn't want to drop a home game against Cairns

Reply #730363 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I just made a simple observation.

Didnt really make a comparison with current jobs nor was that the point that I intended to make.

Reply #730373 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Majok Majok -9 in 1:32 court time is pretty remarkable.

Reply #730384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long as a dunker is up there with Wiley

Reply #730385 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Newbill not too shabby either. Just put Abercrombie on a poster.

Reply #730386 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Feels like I just finished watching free throw practice

Reply #730388 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A few good dunks interspersed between all the free throws

Reply #730389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither side like defence to much, bit like touch football.

Reply #730390 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

With NZ's ownership change it feels like the club has gone from being the best to the worst in the NBL from an organisational culture standpoint.

Reply #730410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel like Long could win MVP, been consistently good all season and had a lot of monster games

Reply #730411 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Perhaps Long gets the nod on the All-NBL team over Bogut?

Bogut's been a great player and has singlehandedly won games for Sydney through his defence and rebounding I reckon. But I haven't been a big fan of his overall body language/apparent disinterest.

Reply #730447 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Agreed, MACDUB, Bogut does display body language that says "better-than-thou", but then he goes out and shows that he often is. But Long No 1 for mr after last night's game. Bogut still 1st back-up, then just about anyone.

Reply #730452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way the voting works, Long is definitely in consideration. He's the best of a bad bunch, won’t have much competition amongst teammates except for Wesley, and there have been a few of those sorts of winners in recent years (Conklin, Rotnei, even Cotton who was the dominant player on an average team last year.)

Reply #730455 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Remember that the way the voting works is quite different this season, so "best of a bad bunch" is far less likely to win now.
On the other hand, good form at the back end of the season is more likely to be noticed and remembered, so I think the race is still on.

Reply #730466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Remember that the way the voting works is quite different this season"

I didn't know that. How has it changed?

Reply #730469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut has taken Sydney up the ladder from last place, Long has taken NZ no where, Long has not been that consistent and foul prown.

Reply #730471 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Bogut has kept Kings in finals contentions, Long has not.
Bogut is an MVP candidate, Long is not.
Bogut has more double doubles this season than Mr Double Double.
I don't even like Bogut and really like Long, but common sense.

Reply #730482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the voting going to be more in-line with the NBA media's voting?

Reply #730486 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:24 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754