Anonymous
Years ago

Sixers' selfishness "rampant": Wright

Joey said in the press conference that he's tired of individuals within the team being selfish and that it's been "rampant" this season.

Who and what is he talking about?

Topic #44686 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's his job to curtail it, rather than bitch about it to the public.

Reply #730790 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

This is concerning.

Reply #730792 | Report this post

Heaters67  
Years ago

Talking about himself IMO. It's always about Joey.

Reply #730795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conger?

Reply #730797 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ooh damn. Drama in Swoop City.

And rampant implies multiple people.

Reply #730799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At this stage of the season, this sort of issue falls on JOEY Wright! If the selfishness issues is real, its his issue as coach to deal with. Adelaide are really due for a new voice, his whinging hasnt really accomplished much.

Reply #730806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on man. I'm all for a healthy conversation but when you start calling for "a new voice" we gotta stop there. Are you serious? Like have you been watching? Went to game 5 of a grand final series less that a year ago, and has this low budget line up still in Finals contention when everyone counted them out. They just lost a main contributor 2 weeks ago as well.

Like I said all about healthy conversation but we gotta draw the line on stupidity somewhere. Joey has gotten more out of less better than anyone.

Reply #730813 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I went to bed at half time because I work early. I was thinking after the first quarter they started getting lazy and were probably getting tired as well. I haven't seen the second half yet but I wouldn't discount the late game time factoring in somewhat. I know I got bugger all sleep through the record heat this week so maybe these guys struggled too?

Reply #730814 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

For my money Conger was the big offender last night. In that 2nd Q he really derailed things for the Sixers with just a few possessions, and they never recovered.

Reply #730815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a fine line though. Conger was criticised in earlier games for not being active enough and taking his shots, but now he’s selfish. When it’s working for you all is good, when it’s not you play 16 minutes

Reply #730822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be selfish to if I was a pro basketballer and my coach, coached like a mini ball coach and gave everyone a fair run, you got to make the most of the time you're on the court knowing you will be rotated to the bench in 3 minutes

Reply #730824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Run and gun - looks great when it's working and you’re shooting at a decent percentage. When it all falls apart you need structure to fall back on. That’s where these 'selfish’ shots are coming from - the fact that we have to make a great individual play rather than running a high percentage play or we just don’t score.

Reply #730828 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Just on Conger, he killed us a few games ago so I would have thought that calling his number frequently would be part of their plan in the re-match, at least until we had proven able to adjust and limit him.

Reply #730829 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

So now Adelaide hasn't heard of air conditioning?
What rubbish blaming lack of sleep.
Do you think before you type this stuff?

Reply #730830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes most of the Sixers players have never seen a shot they don't like, the one Doyle took just before half time with Wright screaming move the ball was horrendous. Does Joey turn them into muscle flexors or is it a prerequisite.
Anyway probably come out and smash Melbourne on Monday and all will be forgotten.

Reply #730831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha Udog is now blaming weather and sleep? Seriously?

Reply #730832 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

There's "being aggressive", and then there's dribbling the ball for 6 seconds before jacking up a contested long 2. Conger was opting for the later in Q2.

Reply #730837 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Perth threw horrible matchups at conger, im surprised he didn't puish them tbh. Dj looked disinterested and annoyed the whole time too.

Reply #730841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i am no doyle fan

however he had no choice but to jack that shot up, joey didn't realise (its only near the seasons end) that the shot clock didn't reset to 24 seconds, he was yelling one shot one shot, there was 24 left on the game clock but 14 on the shot clock which then ran down and forced the rushed shot from doyle.

Reply #730849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simples...

...team behaviour reflecting the values of its coach.

Reply #730853 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Udog why would you go to sleep at half time. The second half was the best half.

Reply #730854 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I had to get up at 430am. So 1030pm was my limit.

Reply #730858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Morning shift, huh? Were you on McMuffins or hash browns today?

Reply #730859 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He may be talking about Conger & possibly Wiley but he should be directing his fire at DJ and his now somewhat regular disappearing acts.

Reply #730864 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Disappointing result last night, but when you consider 47 points were off the bench, that is a telling stat.

Reply #730866 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If Deng didn't fire up in last quarter it would've been worse.

Reply #730875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle had plenty time to put on a play or shoot a good shot, Joey was yelling move the ball as soon as Doyle got it, Doyle went hero ball then just chucked it up when the clock went down, Joey pull him aside and talked to him, I obviously don't no what was said but he wasn’t happy.

Reply #730877 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Need more style of teys. Levelled headed. Know not elite but guy does the right thing and is team first. He should still be captain and exert his discipline. Too many attitudes.

Reply #730885 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Conger plays losing basketball

Reply #730888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MF ^^^
I agree with you and I think the Illawarra coach does though I'm only guessing as they never tried to get him back.

Reply #730893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't talking about Wiley. Wiley was sitting next to him at the press conference and Joey mentioned that he should have got more of the ball after the start that he had.

Reply #730897 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Sounds like someone was turning Wiley down when he was open after the hot start. Without watching it again, and I won't, I don’t know who he was referring to. It may be only one player but he calls out the team rather than the individual as selfishness is a highly contagious thing.. my guess would be looking at the fga’s per min on court and suggest Deng and McVeigh

Reply #730907 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:49 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754