Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Import Update And Power Rankings

I don't know every clubs movements just going by what's written in the other thread and whispers I have heard. Please feel free to add and correct anything I have wrong.

Centrals
Rumoured to be bringing back at least one of their imports. Have a lot of young kids doing well in reserves currently.

Eastern
Rumoured to have signed Brandon Morris, a big with a questionable history. Looking for a guard import to pair with him.

Forestville
Jake Rios is back after a year with the Mavs. Rumoured to have Teys, Majok and who knows which other 36ers!

Mt Gambier
Have announced Kentrell Barkley as their first import and he looks the goods. Saw on FB today they have signed big man Dayjar Dickson. Also have announced Sam Daly to round out the best starting 5 in the league.

North
Alex Starling returns fresh off his Woollacott season. Tobias Dowdell joins him after a season with West. Have also picked up McVeigh who is starting to look more dangerous in the NBL as well as Bijan Johnson who seems to be a real fighter!

Norwood
Quiet so far this off season but have announced Brandon Brine as their replacement for Stanbridge and All Star 5 guard James Legan taking an import spot. I assume they will get a big import to match with them.

South
Have signed big man Zach Allmon and guard Dakota Zinser. I don't know much about either but by the looks both are here and playing reserves. Brad Jonnek also moved to the Panthers.

Southern
CJ Turnage returns and have announced Anthony Drmic. Not too many other changes besides losing Brine. I would expect this to be a tougher season for the Tigers.

Sturt
No word on any import signings but one would expect they'll have two on the way. Rigby on the move from Mavs probably isn't the answer for them this season.

West
Have confirmed Bryan Jefferson as their first import, looks the good having gone to school with a couple of their players. Will likely pair him with another big.

Woodville
Big recruit in Luke Stanbridge coming back. Josh Clippinger joins Jon Perry to make a very solid front line which should see them improve on last years record.

Power Rankings
Based on how I anticipate teams will look come the season.

1. North Adelaide - Too big, too deep. Well coached and looking to bounce back after a disappointing season.
2. Mount Gambier - Best starting 5 by a long way, bench will be the question.
3. Norwood - Brine a huge in for them and provided their import big is reasonable they will be around the mark.
4. Forestville - Maybe the best team if everyone plays but you have to wonder how much they will be together.
5. Southern - Losing their glue guy will hurt plus import Mays held their D together. Drmic is good but not that good.
6. West - Getting old but will still be solid.
7. Woodville - Will challenge for top 5 and could have the best front court in the league outside North.
8. Centrals - Improvement of youngsters should see them get some wins provided imports are OK.
9. South - Imports will need to be good to be competitive. Not much depth or size.
10. Eastern - Morris appears talented but not much around him. 2nd import would have to be a gun to see them higher.
11. Sturt - Hard to see them finishing here but no news coming out of their camp to suggest they have signed anyone. Will jump if/when they announce import signings.

Topic #44728 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt won't finish last. That's Eastern's spot. Good summary though

Reply #731951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"1. North Adelaide... Well coached" - lol.

"5. Southern - Losing their glue guy will hurt" - are you inferring Brine was the glue guy? Hope not.

Also I think Mavs have a better chance of topping South than Sturt. Agree that these should be the clear bottom 3.

Good summary though.

Reply #731958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just looked up Morris's questionable history, wow! Wonder how many games he'll last with Warhurst or getting arrested. Great character guy for juniors to look up to.
https://www.onlineathens.com/sports/20180226/former-uga-starter-brandon-morris-finds-stability-at-benedict-college

Reply #731964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West getting old.... have a very young starting 5!!

Reply #731969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood sound the oldest,

Andrew 33?
Daniel 30
Lycett 28
Legan in his 30s
Brine probably 27/28 himself.

Reply #731991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs men are rock bottom so Morris cant hurt? This is a team that had regular "punch ups" at training over the past few seasons!

Reply #731993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can this guy even get a Visa???

Reply #732052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i hate judging a book by its cover but damn...he looks like a sketchy bloke

Reply #732076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 732007
What a load of slanderous comments. Watch out or you might get sued.
Read the articles a bit better
Guy was picked up by police for possession of 18 grams of marijuana (legal inSA)
Obviously was not convicted or else he would not get a Vusa in to the country.
He was shot and robbed when he went to a shady area. No story about him having a gun. Defence lawyer for those charged and convicted of shooting him made a comment about he was there looking to buy gold teeth drugs or a gun. Like you can really trust what a defence lawyer says.
Let's not let facts get in the way of bagging someone you don’t know

Reply #732095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marijuana is decriminalised in SA, not legalised. He was found with 18 grams and digital scales in his car. Felony arrest for possession with intent to distribute marijuana.

A year later, he was charged with another two felonies: financial transaction card theft and firearm possession by a convicted felon (meaning he was convicted of the previous drug charge).

https://www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/former-bulldog-morris-arrested-again-in-athens

Three felonies. Probably fit in better at Southern than Mavs. Glad he survived getting shot and is back playing though.

Reply #732106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would give the bloke the benefit of the doubt for now and hope he's committed to turning his life around, but if he messes up I would probably cut him very quickly.

Reply #732121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see West finishing 6th. I would swap them with Norwood.

Reply #732122 | Report this post

Botibob  
Years ago

IF Norwood get a big which player will come off the bench? The Webber's and Lycett won’t, Legan won’t want to allstar 5 to bench guy, doubt brine would starts in a gf the year before then moved to the bench?
Maybe Norwood trying small ball... maybe they will play less D than normal

Reply #732148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well they've got Legan who can’t play a lick of defense.

Reply #732152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's gonna play center? Brine? He's only like 6'7

Reply #732225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry about Norwood. They have their junior development to fall back onto

Reply #732227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bribe will not play inside he likes to shoot 3s.

Reply #732230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warhurst will not be able to handle Brandon Warhurst has no relationship skills at all
No one wants to play for him only his favourites and guys who can't get a spot elsewhere

Reply #732234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gambier - very strong starters and well coached. Lots of double headers which will expose their depth.
North - big, deep and athletic. Well coached. Need to find chemistry.
Southern - Couple of big losses, solid coaching, have chemistry and are used to each other and success.
Norwood - a lot of shooters, not big, unsure who actually coaches them still.
Forestville - will show up with marquee players again. Depending on who, availability and rorting by-laws will decide on their season. Coach is experienced.
West - looking young, will see how they stand up. Well coached.
South - New look, big import looks solid. Unknown coach.
Woodville - should be better but not convinced. Average coach.
Centrals - young and an exciting future if group stays together. Will compete. Well coached.
Sturt - need import help or could finish last. Can shoot. Jury out on coach still.
Eastern - plenty appears wrong again in the Mount. Average coach and talent pool.

Reply #732256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant believe Warhurst took back Vozzo after he bagged the hell out of Mavs and the coach then tried out unsuccessfully for every club in the comp. Desperate times indeed at Eastern.

Reply #732257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People saying Norwood will struggle without a big big South are the only club with a legitimate big that I can tell and they're not a threat.

Reply #732261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mt Gambier and North have legit bigs, and they're arguably the best two teams.

Reply #732265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West also have legit bigs.

Reply #732267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who do west have? Is Jordan West playing? From what I heard their import is a 3/4.

Reply #732273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their legitimate big is 6'6 tops!

Reply #732290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norths aren't much bigger.

Reply #732295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at last years team plus their additions they will have out of top ten 7 players who are at least 6'5", most over 6’6” and can run the floor hard. They look a threat this year

Reply #732309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starling, Dowdell and Dickson are only 6'6ish but they're long, athletic and skilled. Hence they're legit bigs.

Reply #732319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's Dickson?

Reply #732323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starling, Dowdell, Schild, McVeigh all big in this league. Will be interesting if all four on court at same time with BJ. Not many will match up on them. Good balance of defence and offence. They will be more successful this year. Throw in Harding, Smith and Marshall then they are a legit long team

Reply #732333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West's second big did some pre-draft stuff with Charlotte Hornets so hopefully he’s legit!

Reply #732334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dickson is one of Mt Gambier's imports. I don't know anything about their other big, but Dickson looks impressive.

Reply #732351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Smith for North?

Tigers were big last year. Will they be smaller this year?

Reply #732360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Mays for Southern who was really good for them and anchored their defence. But his off court behaviour has left him without a job. North pulled the pin pretty quick, heard he's shopped himself around at a discount rate because his GF is local but no-one else has touched him because of issues.

Reply #732372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers would still be
Staude 6'1
Johns 6’4
Drmic 6’6
Turnage 6’6
Calligeros 6’7

Is that any smaller than the other contending teams?

Reply #732375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way Drmic is 6'6". And Max is 6’7” in shoes with multi- Sox. If Drmic is 6’6” I want to borrow his ruler and I’d be 6’9”

Reply #732376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know anything about the Centrals imports? They are not bringing in any of their previous ones

Reply #732439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do they have Dave Humphries back?

Reply #732451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Humphries- he went to WA

Reply #732454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

staude 6'1 on stilts

Reply #732529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no imports for centrals?

Reply #732533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would you say is the average height for PL players? around 195cm?

Reply #732536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals going with all locals in men this season, no money in the piggy bank.

Reply #732544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals ARE getting imports in fact

Reply #732574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With so many teams that haven't announced their imports, I think it's hard to speculate on the strength of teams.

Reply #732577 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Teams that haven't announced their imports are either trying to be sneaky or are ridiculously unorganized with the start of the season so close.

Reply #732578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oklahoma commit Anyang Garang will play for Centrals this year before heading off to college

Reply #732580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does size really matter?

Reply #732591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most organised clubs have one or both imports already playing trial games and reserves in some cases.

Reply #732604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does a Skrillex song play basketball

Reply #732609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BANGARANG

Reply #732625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well yeah size does matter...its basketball

Reply #732626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball brain and skills first. Size second.
Where's a Spud Webb post when you need it.

Reply #732660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone in aus have a 47inch vertical? i think thats what spudd had

Reply #732661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

195 cm's average height? Dreaming. A lot of small guards riding the pine for a lot of teams.

Reply #732663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

souths imports ineffective against north last night

long season coming up for the panthers

Reply #732822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North looked big and athletic with players to still come in. They must be a chance to go further this year

Reply #732833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Allmon is one of Souths imports but who is the other? Looks like just kids on their SportingPulse.

Reply #732841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Allmon is one of Souths imports but who is the other? Looks like just kids on their SportingPulse.

Reply #732842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zinser is also one of south's imports, 6'4 guard i think, only 6 points is a bit worrying

Reply #732856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting fact about that game: both team's 4 imports all got fouled out

Reply #732857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North's had 48 points though, Souths had 17!

Reply #732859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah well, no one's arguing south would be better than north this year

Reply #732869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'd hope their imports would be competitive at least as their Australians won’t be.

Reply #732874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South to fight eastern for the wooden spoon?

Reply #732876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

souths coach has no idea

Reply #732902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My momma told me to never trust a man called Dakota!

Reply #732933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't take Reserves results as much of an indicator for PL success.

Reply #732937 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not an indicator for the majority of the reserves season but now that teams are showing up with either full or nearly full rosters and using these games as pre-season games it actually can be used as an indicator.
Souths full squad played against North who were missing McVeigh, Peters, Marshall and Harding. Fair indicator of which end of the ladder both teams will end up I reckon.

Reply #732945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any word on who Norwoods second import may be?

Reply #732964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair to say North have the best restricted player duo in the league again? Do any other clubs even come close?

Reply #732965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern are the equal though we have no idea about Mt Gambier. North will be fun to watch. Bigs are all athletic - lots of dunks and blocked shots!

Reply #732967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood have moultrie coming back after he finishes with another team somewhere

Reply #732973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bijan Johnson underwhelming in reserves. North will struggle without a real distributor.

Reply #732982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only good at distributing trashtalk after he hops off the bench!!

Reply #732985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Turnage and Drmic over Starling and Dowdell.

Reply #732988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic's record in PL is underwhelming. I think combination of two is very close. Southern will miss Mays in particular. He was great defender in the paint and they will be weak there this year

I heard North had another recruit yet to be named who will add a different dimension to the team

Reply #732993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Bijan scored nearly 20 in a half the prior week

He will only get better as he plays more with the new group

Reply #732994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know the following is just a small snap shot of the season but I am not understanding the excitement over Drmic and the ho hum attitude to McVeigh

I looked up the season stats for Drmic and in 21.8 minutes he is averaging 8.7 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 1.3 assists.

McVeigh in the last 5 games where he is getting meaningful mnutes due to injury is averaging 18 minutes, 10 points, 5 rebounds and 1.8 assists.

Is there that much difference between the two? Less minutes and more points, rebounds and assists per game!

Reply #732996 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

McVeigh either is or will be better very soon.

Reply #733000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh will have bigger numbers than Drmic in PP - yes or no? What did Drmic avg last time he played?

Reply #733014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PL sorry!

Reply #733019 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Don't think McVeigh will have bigger numbers than Drimic solely as he has Starling, Dowdell and Johnson around him. Drimic will only really have Turnage to compete with numbers wise and will be more ball dominant.
North play good team ball and unless egos can't be managed I would assume the load will be shared at the Rockets.
Looking forward to seeing McVeigh and Drimic go head to head to be honest.

Reply #733147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern have Johns too who was All Star 5 last year!

Reply #733155 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That's true and Johns is great but he does whats needed to be done, work man like, and doesn't need amazing stats or be ball dominant to impact games positively.

Reply #733165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who do Tigers start?
Staude
Johns
Drmic
Turnage
??

That team doesn't compete with North or Mt Gambier.

Reply #733172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calligeros will start I'm assuming. But losing Mays and Brine is bigger than picking up Drmic. Sure Drmic is better than Brine, but Mays was huge for them last year especially on defence. And Brine had ability to put up Drmic numbers.
Still, they're the champs and have good chemistry but for first time in a while they're not most talented.

Reply #733194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Tigers have much coming off the bench?

Reply #733196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Similar to last year I guess. Burns, Ellison.

Reply #733197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burns chased more $$ and minutes out east

Reply #733217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southerns starters only beat mavs by 10 in reserves gonna be tough for them to go all the way if they're getting challenged by east. Calligeros 33 definitely looking like he’ll start, Vozzo with 35, would’ve been a real confidence boost for mavs if they got that one..

Reply #733233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think North looks to have a lot of depth and flexibility. They could play tall (and athletic) in 2-5 spots with all players being 198+ filling those positions with Starling, Schild, Dowdell and McVeigh. Imagine Starling and McVeigh playing the wings. That would be a big headache.

Or they could go smaller with Aistrope,James, Harding and Marshall ( though I think the last two are at least 195) and apparently someone else

This flexibility and depth is a positive for North compared to the likes of Tigers and Norwood. I just can't wait till it all starts

Reply #733245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard on good authority that Mt Gambier will be announcing definitely 1 if not 2 nbl bench players. And not from the sixers.

Reply #733384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might want to check your "good authority".

Reply #733739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you count Sam Daly as a bench NBL player?

Reply #733763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering he has registered 0 minutes of NBL time this year I would say no!

Reply #733768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Negotiations with a couple of snakes!

Reply #733769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Considering he has registered 0 minutes of NBL time this year I would say no!"

So essentially he spent a lot of time on an NBL bench...

The reason I ask is because only a few weeks ago I was told Mt Gambier barely had the funds at that stage to get two imports. Now they're adding two more starting-caliber players? I don't buy it.

Reply #733792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Daly announced sometime ago, thought poster was referring to 1 or 2 not announced.

Snakes..... doubt it

Reply #733793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mt. Gambier got money from Basketball Australia for traveling ($40K)- how much is that really going to travel vs paying for import(s). Don't see that sort of money flying around to other clubs in the PL. Clubs have to travel to Mt. Gambier and they don't any monetary kick back.

Reply #733917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not one part of that post is correct.

Reply #733929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree ^^. That is just wrong about the financial arrangements

Reply #733932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Completely incorrect on all parts re the travel and dollars

Reply #733933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Each club has to travel to mt gambier once. How many times do mt gambier have to travel to Adelaide?

Reply #733944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #733946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word going around is that Eagles will field Mays, Rios, Teys and Deng. New favourites with that group

Reply #734129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That can't be correct as that’s 2 imports plus a restricted player in Teys.

Reply #734130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where are the 36ers playing?

McVeigh - North
Teys - Forestville
Deng - Forestville

Anyone else? Froling? Drmic?

Reply #734913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling wearing a lighter shade of blue in the winter than he wore over the summer #alljuniorstho

Reply #734915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJ Johnson to North also

Reply #734917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did the tournament in the South east go with South, Woodville and the Pioneers? Any results? Any teams playing trial games??

Reply #734922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 TEAM CHALLENGE

Last weekend the 16th annual 4 team challenge was held at the Millicent Basketball Stadium. Once again, the weekend was extremely successful with the 4 teams being intensely competitive, drawing in a crowd of supporters.

FRIDAY
Friday night, the Woodville Warriors proved that they were a top contending team when going up against the Mount Gambier Pioneers. The scores were close throughout the whole game, although the Warriors were able to come out on top in the final seconds of the game by 3 points. The Warriors were the only team to beat the Pioneers for the entire weekend. The top scorers for the game were Luke Stanbridge with 19 points (Woodville) and Tom Daly (Mount Gambier) with 22 points.

The Werribee Devils were no match for the South Adelaide Panthers in the second game of the night, as they were defeated by a large margin of 40 points, although the Devils were missing a few key players. Top scorers for the game were Jacob Formosa (Werribee) with 21 points, and Kristian Ciabattoni (South Adelaide) with 17 points.

SATURDAY
The first game of the night saw the South Adelaide Panthers go head to head with the Woodville Warriors. The game was well fought out by both teams, and the tied scores after the 4th quarter meant that they had to play overtime. With even scoring on both ends of the court, one team needed to step up. This team ended up being the South Adelaide Panthers who were able to win the game by 7 points. What an exciting game! The top scorers were Jon Perry (Woodville) with 36 points, and Zachary Allmon (South Adelaide) with 27 points.

The Devils stepped up in their second game for the weekend against the Mount Gambier Pioneers. Both teams fought hard for each possession, and Werribee were able to hold their own for the first half of the game, until the Pioneers began to pull away in the 3rd quarter with the final scores being 80-108. Top scorers for the game were Tom Daly (Pioneers) with 23 points and Erik Burdon (Pioneers) with 27 points.

SUNDAY
The Woodville Warriors dominated in the first quarter of their game against the Werribee Devils, scoring 37 points to the Devils 17. They were able to maintain this lead throughout the rest of the game to win by 26 points with the final score being 96-70. The top scorers were Jacob Formoza (Devils) with 33 points and Luke Stanbridge (Warriors) with 26 points.

In the last game for the 4 team challenge weekend, we saw the South Adelaide Panthers take on the Mount Gambier Pioneers. Once again, the Pioneers dominated in the first quarter of the game and were able to create a 10 point lead that they built on throughout the game. the final scores were 85-75 with the Pioneers taking the win. Top scorers for the game were Zachary Allmon (Panthers) with 31 points, and Tom Daly (Pioneers) with 24 points.

Reply #734936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing no imports for Mt Gambier!

Also is Andy up to his old tricks with Teys?

Reply #734937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys isn't restricted. Can confirm that.

Reply #734951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

at the moment!!!

Reply #734968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Mays to Eagle's definite? Huge talent, shopped himself around to nearly every team but off court issues scared them all off, looks like Andy is doing his usual win at all costs and be damned with ethics.

Reply #734989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe that is why North quickly pulled the pin together with at least one other club

Reply #734990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North, centrals and Eastern did their research and said no, probably a top 3 import but couldn't get a job.

Reply #734992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess Teys could play a lot of minutes in the last few games. Oh wait...

Anyone actually know what these issues Mays has are? This is Hoops so I assume not.

Reply #734996 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

I assume plenty on hoops will say they know what issues Mays has but then wont elaborate any further. Perhaps his issues were to do with the culture at his previous club but i'm sure someone will shed some light. I heard that Teys is in fact non restricted as he didn't play the minutes required under BA/BSA bylaws. Not sure what's unethical about that? Pretty much the same as anyone signing McVeigh Frolling BJ or any other NBL bench players but why let the facts get in the way of a good trolling!

Reply #735020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs play the Pioneers this Saturday night it Mount Barker.

Reply #735031 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That's funny because I heard Teys was originally classified as restricted due to being over the 14 mpg at the cut off and was originally on the restricted list put out by BA until the Cheatgles somehow got him re-classified to un-restricted.
Would seem the Premier League manipulation effect is once again in full force out at Wayville before a game is even played.
Deng, McVeigh and Johnson all under the 14mpg. Teys and Drmic both were classified restricted as they were not. Wonder what changed and how that classification can be changed?

Reply #735082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the Eagles are more powerful than BA.

Reply #735122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever is running the premier league Facebook page must only follow North Adelaide. The last 6 posts have been about them!

Reply #735135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's because North Adelaide are very active in sharing information regarding their players

Reply #735138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville have at least three announcement posts on their page not be reposted.

Admittedly the Rockets do a great job on social media, much more professional than the Eagles.

Reply #735144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers posted about 15 female signings!

Reply #735145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern made all those posts but can't announce who their new mens import is?

Reply #735156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern have announced both restricted players on the men's team via FB

Reply #735160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Groan, Southern can't have a new import because of Drmic, please keep up. Have kept Turnage.
Are Eastern and centrals getting imports, noones arrived yet I believe.

Reply #735161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt have been quiet too re imports

Reply #735167 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Whoever does the promotion / social media thing at North does an amazing job. Makes sense to promote your teams and players, bringing in more supporters, juniors and potential sponsors. Adds to the competition.
I don't understand these clubs that either choose to remain quiet or can't be bothered promoting.

Reply #735174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm personally not a fan of North's style of social media promotion (hyping up juniors, hyperbolic grammar etc), but the fact they're active on social media puts them well ahead of my own club nonetheless.

Reply #735182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the PL facebook page started with North Adelaide and are moving through the clubs one at a time

Reply #735216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait to see the centrals one advertising their Australia day BBQ

Reply #735250 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

North Adelaide welcomes ..... to the worst stadium in the league!

Reply #735295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not for much longer, hater.

Reply #735297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worse than Marion? Think i would take Hillcrest.

Reply #735298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was that a cryptic 'lighter blue' for Frohling suggesting Sturt. ????

Reply #735314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling signed with the Southern Huskies (Tasmania) for the upcoming NZNBL season, starting in April.

Not sure what 915 is on about.

Reply #735315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys, guys, they're BOTH rubbish stadiums

Reply #735338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Upcoming season stadium rankings? I haven't seen the new ones.

Reply #735415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pioneers women get a win in their first pre season game by 30.

Reply #735493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys NBL page says he averaged 12 minutes this season. Andy and the Cheatgles obviously hacked into BA servers and went back through the box scores and adjusted them because he played over 14 according to Hoops?

Reply #735495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's games played in first 13 weeks. Based on box scores minutes and seconds he played more than 14 minutes. Buy hey what do you expect from Basketball Australia and BSA

Reply #735498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that he averaged 13.9115 minutes per game over the first 13 weeks of the season. I believe that this just makes him unrestricted. This is based upon box scores from the nbl website. Last two games he only played 9.59 and 9.56 coincidence??

I couldn't care less if was or wasn’t eligible just wanted to spew the stats out given the comments above

Reply #735499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^wrong!

Reply #735500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting. Bylaws don't mention this 13 game thing in the restricted players section. Can’t believe Andy is so powerful he can force the 36ers coach to not play someone too much.

Reply #735502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah not sure why our by-laws don't mention it, but other states by-laws (correctly) do.

Pretty typical of BSA though.

Reply #735503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA being useless we can agree on

Reply #735504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The above average is not from 13 games but rather 13 rounds. No idea what the bylaws state or otherwise just worked out average on what was said. If no reference to 13 weeks then surely it is the season average. Just because other states have a bylaw in no way means it is adopted in the Adelaide league!

Reply #735509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

11.9825 is his average minutes played across the full season using box scores from nbl website.

Don't see what the issue is.

Reply #735510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Just because other states have a bylaw in no way means it is adopted in the Adelaide league!"

Except it is, because the restricted players list is determined by Basketball Australia (overseeing all second tier Australian leagues), which is why all states adopt the same by-law.

Reply #735512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some preseason games taking place this weekend. Any results?
North beat Centrals 112-80.
Gambier vs Eastern?

Reply #735518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville wiped West.

Reply #735520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Score from Woodville v West?
Do Gambier and Norwood play today at the arc?

Reply #735523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With all the recent issues with Forestville they have a squad which is untouchable. If Andy gets out coached like he did last year in the GF and doesn't take home the premiership this year then the Forestville board should be looking at the fine print of his contract with as much fervour as the By-laws and terminate his contract rather than continually spending good money after bad!

Reply #735527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think he got outcoached, more like DJ and Teys couldn’t hit water if they fell out a boat. No bench other than Harris could hurt them. Big minutes from their starters. Other teams have loaded up too.

Reply #735528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not sure who you think has loaded up as much as Forestville

Reply #735529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's okay friend I'll refresh your memory: North and Mt Gambier are two that come to mind.

Reply #735530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville and Forestville beat West and Southern respectively by around 10.

Reply #735531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville compared to North

Teys > Johnson
Deng > McVeigh
Mays > Dowdell
Rios < Starling
de Witt > anyone else at North

Yep Andy needs to deliver!

Reply #735532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pioneers beat Mavs by about 15 in a fairly ordinary game. Both teams missing players, Pioneers especially down a few studs. Mavs imports on arrived 24 hours prior but look to be OK.

Reply #735533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

de Wit < Johnson
Teys > Goodluck
Rios < McVeigh
Deng = Starling
Mays > Dowdell

Looks pretty even to me, except Hawkes is a supercoach - at least according to North members.

You still haven't ackowledged Mt Gambier yet either.

Reply #735534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given Andy list the unlosable GF he must be walking a tightrope if he fails again

As for Mt Gambier just need to see final squad but doubt it has the starting five to go with Forestville

Reply #735536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mt Gambier has the best starting 5 in the comp... it's the bench that's the question mark.

Reply #735538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pioneers actually won 71-67 against Mavs

Reply #735545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I right in saying pioneers starters will be;

Daly
Burdon
Daly
Barkley
Dickson

Reply #735547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harris getting no mentions despite averaging 17ppg last year and spending all off season with the 6ers.

Reply #735549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood v Gambier score?

Reply #735550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except for the mention where it was said he was the only bench player Forestville have...

Reply #735552 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Norwood beat Gambier by around 10 in a pretty low scoring game. Both teams down an import, was a pretty average game.

Reply #735576 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If Forestville are suiting Teys, Deng, Mays, Rios, Harris and De Witt then they are surely the number one position in these power rankings with less than a week to go before the season tips off.
I would go, from all recent announcements and pre-season game results-

Eagles
Pioneers
Rockets
Tigers
Flames
Bearcats
Warriors
Panthers
Mavericks
Lions
Sabres

who you got?

Reply #735577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is round 1 in jeopardy with the hot weather forecast??

Reply #735582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harris cracked under pressure in GF last season - he's got some talent but not enough to get him to starting 5 in PL let alone NBL.

Reply #735585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warriors will definitely surprise teams this year!

Reply #735587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You think they should be lower than 7th?

Reply #735588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rockets
Eagles
Pioneers
Tigers

Bearcats
Flames
Warriors
Lions
Panthers
Sabres
Mavericks

Reply #735591 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No way any lineup should be ranked above Forestvilles.

Reply #735595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from Mays does Forestville have any strong inside presence? I can see them being exposed here and they will need their perimeter shooters to perform

And they need Mays to manage his alleged personal issues

Reply #735613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone expand on these "personal issues"

Is it about the great Will Wise III running off with his missus??

Reply #735622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except he started last season and averaged 17, including a 50 point game and Anzac medal.

Mays personal issues are legalised in half of America.

Reply #735635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did I see Andrew Barton is at South and in the leadership group? Is this some kind of bizarro world? Hasn't played a meaningful minute in years and now he’s in a leadership group. I guess he’ll help lead them back to 7th again... or to KFC judging by that photo on Facebook.

Reply #735642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact Barton is in the leadership group says more about the coach than anything.

Reply #735650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine if we made it only non-negative comments could be posted in this thread, 80% of them would be gone.
Haters.

Reply #735653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jamie's upset now folks

Reply #735658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we forget that Jamie is a rookie coach with no runs on the board or experience thus far, wait till the season is underway or done before making an evaluation of his ability. There are several coaches in the mens comp that are under the pump 100 times more than Jamie, see Sturt, Woodville, Eastern and on another level Forestville.
South and Jamie are currently 0/0 with 3/4 coaches mentioned above being in the hot seat to keep their jobs through till seasons end.

Bring on Saturday!!!!

Reply #735672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches aren't under the pump , I think you underestimate the amount of coaches that actually want premier league roles

The line is very short

Reply #735675 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yeah you are right, all those wanna be state and serious junior coaches don't aspire to Premier League at all......

Reply #735680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of coaches don't aspire to PL. Yes they may like to do PL, but the amount of time that a PL coaches role takes up is underestimated by a lot of people. It doesn't pay well either so it is a passion of love.

Plus a lot of clubs don't have the resources to compete with the top clubs. There isn't a lot of coaches lining up to take a role at a club like Eastern so they can have a losing season and get blasted on Hoops.

Reply #735683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A passion of love
. .
O

Reply #735685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

labour of love?

Reply #735686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 635

So by saying Mays issues are legalised in 50% of USA implies it is illegal in 50% too. The question is whether or not it is illegal in Australia?

Reply #735714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Wise ran off with who's missus? He's been spotted around Hindley over the last couple of weeks - maybe trying to find a visa possibility. Heard he was trying to get a gig in Adelaide but no one will touch him with a 100 foot pole. Maybe it's his legal issues in Adelaide as well that might be an issue.

Reply #735722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wise running off with anyone's missus is laughable. Bevo has more of a chance of stealing someone's girl than Wise. Heard Turnage actually stole Wise's.

Reply #735748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look into Mavs imports history before worrying about Mays smoking pot.

Reply #735758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we're worrying about people smoking weed, perhaps people should be concerned about Legan, Turnage, Wise, Tyson-Thomas, Dowdell, hell even Barton too..

Reply #735762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure the Aussies do it too fella

Reply #735763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what I'm saying..

Reply #735764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never seen that many clubs turn down a gun import for smoking the herb.

Reply #735767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think most clubs are aware of how many of their imports/players do it

Reply #735768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's this about the Mavs import?

Reply #735769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure weed aint the issue.

Reply #735772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then post what it is...

Reply #735773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like to see BSA get away with portable AC's etc to complete round 1. Work health and safety should come into play or change venues! Hillcrest will be a furnace and Mt Barker with no AC will be the same. Take the BOM seriously and hope no one passes out or worse. Most sporting codes wouldn't even blink at this.

Reply #735787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most sporting codes don't have to deal with this, or choose not to.

Reply #735790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These things can make surfaces a little slippery

Reply #735799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #735856 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754