Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney Kings make playoffs after 6 year hiatus

A huge achievement for the club. They've had to grind, but they got there. Big credit to Gaze for staying strong and getting the first part of the job done. Sydney, Sydney, Sydney!!

Topic #44754 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great underdog story.

First they signed Bogut, to give them some hope.

They also re-signed former league MVP Jerome Randle to join american born, now Australia and two time league MVP Kevin Lisch as well as one of Australia's brightest basketball stars ever - Brad Newley.

David Wear was brought in on a budget. We don't know what the budget is, but he plays like a budget import - lucky to be here because he had one good game against the Wildcats.

Knowing they had an ageing core, the league was generous enough to give them Brian Bowen. A young star with massive potential.

Knowing they were still struggling they signed another import, a guy named Ray Turner.

All the while having one of Australia's greatest basketball players as their coach.

It really is remarkable how they've overcome the odds... only to be eliminated by Perth or Melbourne in the Semi-finals.

Reply #732512 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How much money have they spent?

So much for a salary cap.

Other teams have to stick to the rules and do not receive any benefit from teams like Sydney and Melbourne who spend gig time and do not get penalised.

All the talk a few years ago was a load of rubbish.

Reply #732515 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Please don't give Gaze any credit.

He is the puppet.

Reply #732516 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

How much money have they spent?
So much for a salary cap.

Does the amount of salary paid invalidate the achievement of a team making the playoffs?

Other teams have to stick to the rules and do not receive any benefit from teams like Sydney and Melbourne who spend gig time and do not get penalised.

Do you have proof that Sydney breached the cap pre-soft cap rules?

Please don't give Gaze any credit.

If we give Gaze the flak for incompetence, shouldn't he then get some credit when there is success?

Note : I don't rate Gaze much from what I have seen, but let's try to be fair.

Reply #732521 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Does the amount of salary paid invalidate the achievement of a team making the playoffs?"

No. Still, it's okay to note team salary differentials as likely contributing to the achievement. Would we not be critical if they'd paid as much as they undoubtedly have (10% ownership in the club, for heaven's sake) and didn't at least make finals? i.e., same as the argument for Gaze getting some of the credit for success after getting the flak for previous failure.

The interesting thing for me has been the extent to which Sydney have had to rely on consistently beating the bottom 4 teams in order to make finals - 13 of their 16 wins have come from that. Well done them in being so consistent on that front but they won't go anywhere in finals without substantially lifting their performances against the better teams.

Reply #732525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Does the amount of salary paid invalidate the achievement of a team making the playoffs?"

Um, yes?

Reply #732526 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good on them.

I don't like Sydney but am happy for Gazey.

Reply #732527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make it harder to sack him?

Reply #732530 | Report this post

JVG  
Years ago

I've got a feeling I’ve timed the King’s run to perfection.

Reply #732539 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

As a Perth fan I can't relate to what missing the playoffs feels like but well done Sydney for getting back in the playoffs.

Reply #732547 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Just wow.

Good on Syd for making the finals series. Don't get me wrong I am serious.

But they have been "buying championships" for years now. The fact that they have only just finally made them is a testament to how incompetent they have been.

And @lovebroker...

Do you honestly think there is even a slim chance they didn't meet the soft cap limit? I suppose they did get Bogut at a discount salary by only having to give up 10% ownership of the club to help alleviate the massive $$ on that squad.

Reply #732549 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Do you honestly think there is even a slim chance they didn't meet the soft cap limit?
Nobody is suggesting that they're below the soft cap.

How Bogut's ownership share is factored into cap allocation is an interesting question.

Reply #732550 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Yeah that is any interesting question. I have thought all season that it will be "overlooked" and not included. I have no info regarding that, just my opinion.

It's not something that's likely to occur very often... But in the short term it's a big chip to give up to essentially avoid a small tax in comparison to what is being given up*

*Assuming it's overlooked

But at the same time. If that was the cost to get a Bogut... There are several other teams that would have done the same. Most actually. Probably only Perth and melb wouldn't have.

Reply #732551 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

From what I hear, Gaze is gone even if the Kings win a championship. I think you could take just about any assistant coach in the NBL and hand him the roster the Kings have had for the past 3 seasons (incl. this one) and they'd do as well if not better.

Reply #732579 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yeah, I'm not sure how they tie in that whole ownership thing, but those complaining about keeping under the salary cap are just being dense... Whatever price they're paying for him, moneywise, perhaps not ownership, would be under the marquee rule, so while they're still over, people should be talking budgets, not caps...

The Kings have spent SO MUCH cash on JUST getting to the playoffs, that needs to be taken into account when people want to praise them for limping into the playoffs before getting swept...

Reply #732589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have not limped in. They have qualified with two rounds to spare and have won 3 of 4.

Reply #732675 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754