Finally retiring Redhages jersey hopefully

Reply #732735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson's contract has been extended. /

Reply #732736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats profits have increased so much this season that they are buying a second eye for J, a personality for AD, and a new bridge for Perthworld to live under in the winter time

Reply #732738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson to announce this will be his last season

Reply #732741 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

*yawn*

Reply #732744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson is not LEAVING. I don't know where this is coming from.

Reply #732746 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

We are trading Jervis, hire, Wagstaff, vague, dech and 4 first round and 4 2nd Rd picks for Anthony Davis.

Will be announced by woj before Gossage gets the word out

Reply #732747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lel

Reply #732748 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A sponsorship renewal?

Reply #732749 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Someone is retiring, meaning that they will have a tonne of motivation and play manic defence for the rest of the season and go on to win the championship

Reply #732751 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Martin to play on.

Reply #732757 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hire to retire?

Reply #732787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9am Presser.

most likely someone or something (redhage 42) will be retiring!

Reply #732790 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Martin retiring? Surely they're not going to make such a big deal about Jervis or Hire retiring?

Reply #732791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire has been vice captain for the past few years. Its a big deal if he retires.

Reply #732792 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also remember that one recent major announcement was the Hawks doing an indigenous round. "Major" is at the discretion of the announcer at this stage...

Reply #732793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Confirmed: Hire retiring

Reply #732794 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Greg Hire seated beside Gleeson. There you go.

Reply #732795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bye Greg

Reply #732796 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #732797 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Very emotional for him as he works through his prepared announcement. Obviously weighed heavily on him to pick the time to go.

Reply #732799 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Surely they're not going to make such a big deal about Jervis or Hire retiring?

Agreed but here in Perthworld things work differently.

About time he retired too.

Reply #732800 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Most love making fun of him but how many teams get 230+ games out of a kid that started at your club as a development player?

Reply #732801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats on a great career and best of luck for the future!

Reply #732803 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Truly a sad day for the mighty Wildcats. This bloke BLEEDS red and black.

Reply #732804 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ Yes he does and yes it is.
Guys like him help make this club what it is - i.e. a culture of hard work and unselfishness that gets the maximum out of everyone.
You'll be missed, Greg.

Reply #732805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, you seriously are a fuckhead.

Reply #732806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

230+ games across one club. Well played. Non Perth fan either. Good luck to him in future endeavours.

Reply #732807 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Perthworld is a troll who craves attention just ignore him.

Did well considering most DPs won't play 200+ games.
A good role player and leader, maybe he did play one season too long but wish him well.

Reply #732808 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good effort by Hire to play in multiple championships and to do it mostly on effort and hustle rather than any great physical gifts or serious talent. Well done. A bit like Teys or White. Respect to those guys who carve out a role for themselves through hard work and smarts.

Reply #732810 | Report this post

Barry Ballbag  
Years ago

Remember him playing SBL at around the age of 17. Skinny little kid looked too small to go further. Went to college, came back bigger and stronger and went from there. Good career and a good bloke. Well done Greg.

Reply #732820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pound for pound one of the best rebounders in NBL history.

Reply #732821 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I'll start by saying that I find this very bizarre.

Why announce it now? Why not retire mid-season? Perth must have really hated the idea of a 3rd import.

Also, to be perfectly honest, on recent performance I would have preferred either Wagstaff or Jervis to go.

It's also strange, in that with the new team, I thought there'd still be an opportunity for someone like Hire to play on, at say Cairns or Hawks.

Now that said. Congrats to him on a solid career. 3 rings and around 240 games, not bad. Good bloke too. Hope he stays involved in the sport, in a development role.

Thing I have always liked about Hire is that he always gave 100%.

Reply #732824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0

He's finishing out the season.

It's his decision to retire.

Probably doesn't want to move a young family interstate.

Retiring is a personal decision one makes based on performance, opportunity, future and family life.

Reply #732828 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's also strange, in that with the new team, I thought there'd still be an opportunity for someone like Hire to play on, at say Cairns or Hawks.
Move the family interstate to try and get one more year at $50k, disrupting anything that might be going on with partner or kids too. All while enough people think you should've retired last year. Yeah, strange. Baffling.

Honestly, this is a big decision for players - the guy was fighting tears like he was speaking at a funeral. They dwell on this. Make the call and step into the unknown, or play on to calls of "should've quit already" and wondering if you're holding your team back. And for many, that unknown is just brutal. Big step down in routine, in daily interactions with friends, to starting a new career 15 years after their peers.

Reply #732843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Isaac.

Congratulations on a good career Greg.

Reply #732845 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

D2

"Why announce it now? Why not retire mid-season? Perth must have really hated the idea of a 3rd import.“

Props to Hire. The timing is his choosing.

That said, Wildcats could now have a rolling wave of retirement announcements, each timed before important games/ finals, and ride a wave of emotion to the championship.

Reply #732851 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Should the Wildcats retire his number?

I hope so.

Reply #732862 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I don't have anything against Hire except for holding on for one season too long. My comments were more about having a press conference about it since he isn't a superstar player. What next will be announced that isn't hype worthy?

Reply #732863 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Each of your posts?

Reply #732864 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So are we going to have Tossage hype up future press conferences that will end up being the retirements of Wagstaff and Jervis. *groan*

Reply #732867 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

@Perthworld.

Shuddup Manu.

Reply #732871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My comments were more about having a press conference about it since he isn't a superstar player. "

Why are you doubling-down on your total ignorance?

Reply #732873 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Apart from the fact Greg has been with the Wildcats for 10 years, multiple championships, co-captaincy etc etc The press conference shows the respect the club has for it's players and the respect Perth media has for the club. Brad Robbins, Matty Knight, Shawn Redhage all got similar treatment, all are names along side Greg Hire you would associate with the past decade of the Perth Wildcats.

If Greg wanted a quieter exit he could have done this at the end of the season, this gave him a platform to show his appreciation back to everyone who helped him along his journey.

If you have nothing nice to say...

Reply #732875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ exactly. Well said alexkrad

Reply #732885 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd absolutely expect them to call a press conference when Wagstaff retires too.

Reply #732886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's be nice if they hold out on jersey retirements.

Put up
Redhage
Hire
Wagstaff
Martin

They all deserve to be there.

Reply #732892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even Knight deserves a look in.

The dynasty is coming to an end.

Reply #732893 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Honestly, this is a big decision for players"
No, Really? Who'd have thought.

Timing his decision? I doubt that either the decision or timing is his entirely.
If for no other reason than that Greg Hire would bleed for his club.
He'd play on if they wanted him, and he would also time his announcement at their request.

There's no perfect time, just interesting now with a few games to go.

Hire has been a good role player, but a few too many in the team now.
Thing is that if teams are going to comply with the bench-cap, then guys like Hire fill a vital role.

Simple fact is that next season we will see a bunch of crabs playing past their use-by.
I suspect in his case, his love for the Cats made being a one-club player more important.

As for his singlet, sorry no.
Redhage should be due to go up, but I would expect Martin to be the next.

Reply #732899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no fucking way that the club directed Hire to retire immediately just for the sake of a motivational announcement. Absolutely moronic thing to say.

Reply #732905 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Put up
Redhage
Hire
Wagstaff
Martin

They all deserve to be there.
I don't think Hire or Wagstaff deserve it, personally. Redhage should already be up there and Martin is a shoo-in when the time comes.

Even Knight deserves a look in.
Definitely not Knight.

If we're lowering the bar that much, how do you exclude Watterson, Torrance, Ronaldson, Harvey, Stewart, Glenn Ellis, Rogers, etc?

Fisher had the shortest tenure in Perth of anyone to have their jersey retired so far*, at eight seasons. Ellis played 11, Vlahov 12, Crawford 13, and Grace 15.

Hire played just seven seasons, Knight played six and a half and missed about half that time through injury.

Neither Wagstaff nor Ellis will make the Hall of Fame, putting them behind both Ellis and Vlahov, both WA-born decade-long club captains.

*I'm excluding Fenton because his is an entirely different circumstance.

Reply #732911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOJ BOMB!

Reply #732912 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow, so now we're at a point where people are suggesting Hire's jersey be retired. I really don't get it.

Reply #732915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think you’re in a position to be criticising people’s take on his career.

Reply #732916 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

A jersey retirement hanging from the rafters is the ultimate honour for a basketball professional. Very few get that opportunity. Understandably a succesful club like Perth would have many candidates worthy of that honour, but a standard has to be set and koberulz is correct, you cant start handing out jersey retirements to anyone thats had a good or lengthy career.

Reghage and Martin are the only Wildcats that can stand up to the other jerseys and get theirs retired when the time comes. Cotton too if he stays here long enough and calls Perth home (but i doubt that will happen)

Congrats to Greg Hire. So much more than just another role player. An active force in the media and the community. His work off the court exceeds his on court success - which spanned an impressive 240+ games. I hope he stays involved in the game somehow.

Reply #732917 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Even further, if they retire #4 Hire isn't even the most deserving of having his name on it.

Reply #732919 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

For the number 4 jersey - I think Hire and Watterson have had very comparable careers (purely on games played, role within the team and to an extent popularity - even though popularity shouldn't be a factor.)

I cant remember if Watto did a lot off the court, but Hire would have to be one of the all time greats in terms of off court engagement.

Reply #732922 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Watto is fifth all time in games played, over 15 seasons at the club. Not sure where Hire sits in terms of games played but he's six years short.

Reply #732924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's 11th I think.

Reply #732925 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Wasnt Watto 13 years (1982-1994) with 2 championships from 4 grand finals, Hire 9 years (2010-current) with 3 championships from 5 grand finals and vice captaincy added in.

Watto played more games for sure but dont forget 82-86 the Cats werent any good. As far as impact om the team and role played, Hire and Watto seemed to have a similar position, and I would slightly lean towards Hire being the better player.

Both were club stalwarts, but in fairness the #4 isnt and shouldnt be retired in Perth. Honoured yes, retired no.

Reply #732926 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Good to see even non Perth fans respecting Hire.
It's a shame that one so-called Perth fan is bagging him.

Reply #732928 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, my bad on the Watto math. Point stands though.

Reply #732931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cliche but one of those guys that you hate to play against, but love when they're on your team. Respect the hell out of what he has done off the court in terms of advocating for mental health. Congratulations on a superb career.

Reply #732990 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think that due to his blue collar work ethic, people sometimes forget all the highlights Greg has delivered on the court.

eg. who could forget this huge bomb:

and his top 5 dunks are right up there with anyone's:

Reply #732991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg's top 5 dunks are insane!!!

Reply #732995 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Brilliant highlights! I'll never forget that time he jumped over Tim Hardaway junior

Reply #733003 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Insane hops.

Almost looks like he's jumping out of his own body.

Reply #733040 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

After watching the game tonight,Hires retirement would have to be making room for Daniel Grida to come back home to play for the Wildcats.This should be a priority.

Reply #733127 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:08 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754