Anonymous
Years ago

How do Melbourne get away with this?

22. Five (5) Player Salary Maximum
22.1. The aggregate Player Values of at least 5 of each NBL Club's eleven (11) Team Roster Players must be no more than 40% of the Salary Floor for each NBL Season other than the 2016/17 season. For the 2016/17 NBL Season this amount will be $400,000.

Not sure what the salary floor is now, but at the most theis cap would be around the $450k mark.

This is why Sydney had to sign a complete boob as their 3rd(4th) import.
It's why Perth were stuck with DCJ last season, and why they couldn't sign a 3rd import this season.

Sydney, desribed as the most stacked team ever, still maintains the following scrubs on their bench:
Deng
Adnam
Wilson
Pineau
Turner

Melbourne's five is:
Hooley
Moller
Smith-Milner
Pledger
Jois

Considering Pledger only left NZ because they weren't offering him enough money, I doubt he comes cheap.
So how have they been allowed to add Jois???

Any way you look at it, they are cheating the system.

Topic #44774 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Are you seriously and incredulously asking how Hooley, Moller, Smith-Milner, Pledger and Trist would earn more than an average of $90k each? Jois is not exactly playing a full season; he's there for 3-4 games.

Melbourne is one of the last teams I'd use to question the 450k thing! Their scrubs aren't all that unscruffy.

Reply #733018 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Smith Milner and Hooley wouldn't be paid much.

I assume for the purposes of the calc, Trist's salary from the first part of the season would be included. I doubt he was on big bucks though.

Pledger signed from NZ on a 1 year deal, so he's the only one that jumps out as a highly paid bottom 5 guy.

But he's also the only one of the 5 who actually achieved anything in the NBL before signing with United.

I really doubt United would be paying those 5 more than $450k.

Reply #733021 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Isaac, one of United's development players earns 70k/year. It's a fair question by the OP gievn Pledger's inclusion in that list.

Whether or not this rule is being enforced is another matter.

Reply #733022 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I've read that Sydney's offer to Moller was around that $90k mark and they were outbit by 30-40k. I would have to assume that Pledger is worth at least that as well as a serviceable NBL big. The others... well... I wouldn't be shocked if they were over the mark, but I wouldn't think egregiously so.

Reply #733024 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Melbourne isn't going to audit Melbourne.

Reply #733028 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Time for a royal commission.

Reply #733034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AngusH,

I've stated this before, JVG offered Moller peanuts and a one year deal, offered two when he realised other clubs were chasing him, but the money never improved. Melbourne would be well under the $450 mark. Perth would be the side I’d think would be closest to breaking it but even they wouldn’t imo.

Reply #733035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"one of United's development players earns 70k/year"

LOL, good one. Not even close. DP's are paid crumbs. The amount of people who make up numbers in here is mind boggling. This isn't AFL or European Soccer. Whatever these guys get paid, its not as much as you think.

Reply #733039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is actually excellent use of the cap by Melbourne to keep a little in reserve out of that $450k (or whatever) so that they could bring in a quality guy in the last quarter of the season. Kudos to them for making maximum use of the system.

Reply #733041 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Development players are generally paid peanuts... But this particular individual, at Melbourne, earns 70k. This isn't what I think, this is what I know.

I can't say if it's the same for other DPs (most would be paid peanuts apart from maybe Perth) but that isn't the topic of discussion.

Reply #733043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well name him playmakermo, because he's on more than some of there bench players.

Reply #733054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The genius of Vince Crevelli!

I knew him kissing LK on the cheek instead of the old handshake (not joking) everytime they see each other would pay dividends!

Reply #733060 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That's gold if true.

Reply #733062 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I have no idea about United, but I spoke to a family member of an NBL player last season and I heard their salary- it was more than I thought.

Can't give away too much detail but this player wasn't from one of the "cashed up" clubs eg United/Perth, and they were in the 9-11th player range.

Reply #733078 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Newsflash: People lie about their salaries.

Reply #733079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld: It is 100% true. Have seen it numerous times.

Reply #733081 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Anon I was replying to LV and his hearsay.

Can you tell us more?

Reply #733083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was replying to Thats Gold if true...?

Reply #733090 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ah okay got anons mixed up. That is hilarious - thanks for sharing.

Reply #733091 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not sharing any more

The point is that guys buried deep on NBL benches may be earning more than we suspect

Reply #733101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah sure sure, I should have anticipated the inevitable nongs chiming in with "oh the bench players only earn $40k each so they easily fit"
Pigs Arse.

The only reason Pledger left NZ was because they low-balled him. So what, you reckon he moved to Melbourne to play for less???

Moller had offers to play elsewhere, so same question.

Besides, we know that this cap has been a problem for Sydney and others, so your claim that every bench player is on minimum salary doesn't hold water.

Are you seriously trying to pretend that Moller & Pledger get paid less than Deng & Adnam??? ROFL

"Jois is not exactly playing a full season; he's there for 3-4 games."
Err no, he's there for 7 games plus the finals.
And that's the whole problem.
For the system to work, fairly, and have any meaning at all it should be pro-rata. Which would mean something like $8~9k per week.
Forget the two scrubs, how could you possibly pay Moller, Pledger, and Jois for under $10k???

If you're suggesting that clubs can scrimp throughout the year, then pay ringers $20k a month for the finals, then that is a crap system and amounts to cheating

Reply #733105 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Again LV - player and/or family member are probably quoting an inflated salary.

This was already explained to you last year when you first mentioned it.

--

Re: PlaymakerMo's comment - source? Saw on paper?

Reply #733107 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The sauce was an immediate family member. Not a cousin or anything. Very reliable.

Secondly they gave a very specific figure, not a round number.

Reply #733110 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And thirdly I spoke to this immediate family member myself.

It wasn't some yarn I heard off somebody who claimed to know a family member of an NBL player.

Reply #733111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate what ever your on it must be good, rambling load shit

Reply #733116 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What do people think these guys are actually earning?

Pledger 110k
Moller 90k
Trist/Jois 80k
Hooley 60k
Smith-Milner 60k

Total 400k

And the 400k is from 2016-17 so would now be higher.

Remember a few years ago Massingale was reportedly on minimum wage, 38k or something like that. I doubt any of those guys would be that low but you never know, Hooley or Smith Milner might conceivably be on 50k, it's only 6 months, August to Feb plus playoffs. And they're SEABL/NZNBL guys who were given an NBL opportunity by United, presumably without many other offers.

These guys would be earning what, 20k-40k from SEABL/State leagues? Maybe Pledger would earn more from NZNBL? So they'd all be on 70k bare minimum, up to 150k. Not bad for young blokes running around playing off the bench in a third tier sport

Reply #733122 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And to throw something else into this discussion, Barlow wouldn't be on much more than Pledger, if at all.

United probably has 5 fairly well paid players.

But if you look at Sydney I reckon they'd have a higher payroll. Their starting 5 would be on more than United's. And their bench wouldn't be on peanuts with Kickert and Bowen in there.

Reply #733125 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"But if you look at Sydney I reckon they'd have a higher payroll. Their starting 5 would be on more than United's. And their bench wouldn't be on peanuts with Kickert and Bowen in there."

I don't think Bowen’s salary would count, as he’s on a next star deal (paid by NBL).

IFF the next star program ran properly, with all teams having a fair shot at scoring a free player, it would certainly help all teams with their lowest paid 5 calculations. Teams could, essentially, up each bottom 5 player’s salary by around $20k. If the next stars doesn’t apply to all teams, then it’s a competitive advantage in recruiting bottom 5 players who can contribute more.

Reply #733130 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

In October last year, Fox Sports quoted the NBL as saying the average player salary for a local was $122,000. If you adjust for the 10 highest played local players (like Bogut, Newley, Bairstow, Kay, Lisch, etc), then the average for the other 55 odd locals would be about $100,000 or less.

On that basis I can believe that Melbourne has a group of five players on $450,000 less. Noting that Pledger need not be one of the five and that Jois gets only a part of a season salary as he replaced Trist.

The average figure above is online if you want to check it.

Reply #733134 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Thanks PeterJohn- I wasn't aware of that

That's roughly what I would've expected.

Reply #733139 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Actually it's probably slightly less than I would've expected (As average and median are different things, and guys like Bogut I would've thought would bring the average up a bit more). But it's in the ballpark of my expectations for sure.

Reply #733141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is "Perthworld" so caught up in giving a toss about Melbourne salaries.

Reply #733143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he is an Adelaide supporter

Reply #733145 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

LV - yes, I was also a little surprised it was that low.

The overall league average salary quoted in the same article was $152,000. That means that the imports (at least those on the books at the start of the season), were averaging about $220,000 each.

It also means the average team salary spend this year was about $1.67 million. The implication of that is that next year's soft cap will be about $1.67 million. So the league salary floor will be about $1.5 million and the 40% threshold for the lowest paid 5 players will be about $600,000.

Welcome to the arms race!

Reply #733153 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LV - ignore them. There will always be the "Only the ATO and the player truly know" types. (As though the ATO necessarily would, too.)

It's irrelevant to the discussion too. It's possible to have a $70k dev player and then cheap guys in your 11-man roster.

I knew him kissing LK on the cheek instead of the old handshake (not joking) everytime they see each other would pay dividends!
Likely a cultural thing. Who cares.

Reply #733159 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Man, the NBL pays jack-shit.

Reply #733189 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Let's say you're an average NBL player, earning $122k from your NBL club.

You can earn an extra 30k playing SEABL/NZNBL/State league.

If you're well connected or have some qualifications you could earn another $30k-$50k working full time for half the year while you're playing SEABL from March to August. As NBL pre season training only kicks into full swing in August.

That would put your overall salary at $180 - $200k.

I think $180k puts you in the top 3% of Australians. It'd probably put you in the top 1% of under 35's. Not bad.

Reply #733191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cultural thing? Didnt realise Vince was Jewish? Apologies Isack.

Reply #733192 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Right, because "cultural thing" could only mean that two people have the exact same cultural background...

Reply #733210 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

LV
Yesterday

What do people think these guys are actually earning?

Pledger 110k
Moller 90k
Trist/Jois 80k
Hooley 60k
Smith-Milner 60k

My guess would be you are pretty close, I wouldnt be surprised if Hooley and Smith-Milner on more like 40-50k (plus they would make 20kish playing SEABL/NZ in the off season) and that even allows for Pledger, Moller, Trist/Jois each to be on 10-20k more.

So yes, Melbourne would easily have those guys on 450k between them

Reply #733213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Trist/Jois"

Yeah, cos that's a real thing.

Why didn't Perf just sign LeBron because obviously his salary would be the same as Greg Hire.

"Pledger 110k"

Yeah, cos obviously he wanted to turn his back on NZ, to take $40k less than he was offered to stay.

Reply #733216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ill take your word for it all mighty forum owner.

Check Vince history and you will understand why I mentioned it.

Reply #733222 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why didn't Perf just sign LeBron because obviously his salary would be the same as Greg Hire.
Who is saying anything like that? They're saying that if a season is split between two players, the average salary of the two is going to be closer to the one who played more games.

If Jois is expensive and United are accommodating the cap, they just backload a contract. This season of his is therefore virtually nothing.

Reply #733251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If Jois is expensive and United are accommodating the cap, they just backload a contract. This season of his is therefore virtually nothing"

So in other words, they will cheat any way they can.
Thanks for the explanation Larry.

Reply #733701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what jois has produced, i wouldn't think he’d be expensive or has a sensational agent.

Reply #733705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Backloading a contract isn't cheating.

Reply #733713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:50 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754