Anonymous
Years ago

South East Melbourne Phoenix sign Ben Madgen

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/south-east-melbourne-phoenix-sign-former-nbl-leading-scorer-ben-madgen/news-story/784f68809029f4f81c531f45a05b2586

Topic #44779 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Broken URL and similar in SMH but both show up in news searches. I think someone broke embargo or was asked by SEM to retract until they've announced it?

The Sydney Morning Herald-5 hours ago
Former NBL leading scorer Ben Madgen will return home to Australia next season after becoming the second signing for expansion club South ...

Reply #733176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG?
Madgen
Creek
PF?
C?

Reply #733178 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

He got employment for his birthday. Way to go

Reply #733186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great pickup but I don't think he will be as good as he was before he left. One, the league is vastly improved since his last stint and two he is now 33.
A year older than Lisch and was never the defender Lisch is still. Probably suited to a 6th man role in the current NBL but excited to have him back. The more Aussies we can bring back from europe the better.

Reply #733188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mathiang maybe at centre?

Reply #733190 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good to see Madgen back in the NBL

He's 34, but is still putting up good numbers in Germany, so he should remain a strong contributor in the NBL for the next couple of years.

Reply #733193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting towards the end but still very fit, still performing in a league not too far off the NBL, still a good shooter. With the right creators around him he could be very valuable. It's hard to say though because he is the first piece in the puzzle unless they get very lucky with Creek.

Reply #733201 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I can see Madgen being productive just as Kirk Penney was at a similar age.
At worst he would be 6th man for Phoenix.

Reply #733207 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea Madgen should be really good, I think even if he is still good enough to start ideally he would be the 6th man in the same way Goulding is right now.

There have been rumours for a while about Sobey going to Melbourne too

Import
Creek
Import
Sobey/Madgen
Import

This would be a great first 6 guys and if they get the imports right would be contenders straight away.

Reply #733211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't expect Sobey to be with PHX. Speculation and guessing will be right sometimes. Focus on Madgen and Creek. I don't think much real info is getting out of PHX - that's a good thing, so just wait for announcements.

Reply #733223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha awkward, both Ward and Uluc had to retract their articles

Reply #733225 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Madgen, and others have been talked about linked to the Phoenix for ages, just as Sobey and a couple of others, and some of these things are being said or hinted at by people that are friends with the GM. Sure it may not happen, but I wouldnt call it just guessing either.

Reply #733226 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

re Sobey... I wouldn't be surprised if he got opportunities overseas that moght be hard to pass up or his own desire to grow in other environments outside the NBL...

Reply #733235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey
Madgen
Creek
Cooks
Mathiang

Reply #733236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Center will be Angus beef Brandt. He badly wants out of Gleeson reign of terror

Reply #733248 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

An interview with Madgen in December:

Ben Madgen on a possible return to the NBL and Jock Landale's rising star

"South East Melbourne Phoenix have reached out to myself and my management about joining them next season, which is very enticing."

Reply #733266 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #733267 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:17 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754