Jack Toft
Years ago

Sydney v Melbourne Feb 8

Nothing but M A S S I V E games this round and none come bigger than these two heavyweights slogging it out in the ring.

Melbourne are scoring more centuries than Bradman at the moment and have an average score of 99.94. They head up to Sin City to face the Violet Crumbles who have locked in finals action for the first time for a while. Last time they were in the finals was about 4 Prime Ministers ago and Jason Cadee was still in high school.

This game is bigger than Bogut standing on tippy toes. Top spot is still up for grabs and a win to Melbourne could see them hold that spot. A Sydney win would help them jostle with Perth for 2nd and maybe steal top spot if results go their way.

There's some huge matchups across the board and so this game will be a great one to watch. It will be a classic NSW v Vic contest, but only SA is allowed to "kick a Vic" so maybe those sons of convicts can chain them down to a fridge and drop them off the 10 mile mark off Sydney Heads.

Sydney at home should be serving up a roast with all the trimmings to their fans, but have served up a charred steak of rump on a disposal paper plate washed down with warm flat beer. They can make amends tonight, but the form those latte boys are in tells me United might score another century and take home the goodies tonight.

Melbourne by 17

Topic #44780 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I think it'll be, much like my infidelity, a dour affair

Reply #733185 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I think it'll be, much like my infidelity

Congratulations, you cheated with your left hand.

Reply #733204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans backing the Kings on this.

Reply #733232 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Melbourne by 5.

Reply #733239 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I just hope the Kings give them such a workout that United decide to rest a few guys against the 36ers on Sunday :)

Reply #733240 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I admit to hoping Sydney can win this from a Perth point of view.
Sydney by 2.

Reply #733241 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Sydney's record against top 4 teams isn't that good.

United are playing very good right now, Sydney are up and down but Sydney are at home.

I am thinking Melbourne by 5 but I dare not put money on this game, too hard to judge.

Reply #733243 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

The difference has been playing Turner, and not Pineau. Not sure why teams have not scouted and leave him wide open.

Reply #733255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The kings have not looked this good since the Goorgian days, Randle and Bogut stand outs. Well done to coach Gaze. Melbourne look a little anxious at both ends of the floor, to much one out stuff. I'm not certain what to make of Jois but Trist must be thinking what the F..k.

Reply #733256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the go with Jois? Personally i hadn't really seen him play but i felt like he was pretty hyped up over the last year when there was rumours he could return to Aus. I assumed he would be one of the stars if he came to the NBL but hasn't really done anything.

Reply #733259 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Why are Sydney still wearing their Make a Wish uniforms? Obviously because they're better, but it still seems odd.

Why don’t some of the other teams follow suit? Are they allowed?

Reply #733261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a little bit surprised that all the Gaze knockers on here have not got on and congratulated him on on his great coaching last night. He got his subs right far better than Melbourne did and their plays out of time outs were excellent.

It’s going to make an interesting final series.

Reply #733269 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Only 12 posts on this game thread? No gaze bashing required this time i guess. Great game by Sydney it will be interesting to see how they back it up against Perth

Reply #733270 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

The difference is Turner - give him more minutes. Finally we have a PF who can hit the 14 feet consistently, or take it to the basket strong, and rebound.

Reply #733273 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ Bol; the boards were down last night, so no posts.

Best adjustment I've seen from Gaze in almost 3 seasons was subbing Lisch in to replace the (wretched) Adnam-Randle backcourt after Goulding hit those 2 big 3s in the 4th.

Doesn't seem like much but that backcourt duo is consistently getting torched in the 2nd and 4th Qs and Gaze just sits on his hands most nights so it was a relief to see him make a sub, and it worked.

Also did a great job managing Bogut's fouls.

Overall though it felt like we were due this one given how close we've played Melbourne this season. My biggest fear now is winning in Perth, finishing #1, and then having to play Adelaide.

Kickert being back in form is huge for us. And his Goulding imitation and description to the referee (sounded like "I do play impersonations. It's for the fans") was gold.

Reply #733275 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

^^ player* impersonations even.

Also yeah, big Turner fan. He was quieter than the last couple of games but still hit a few key jumpers and hustled hard. Didn't come up with boards, but had a few steals.

Reply #733277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was almost as funny as Bogut complaining to the refs (again) about a flop warning before following up with a flop of his own 30 seconds later.

Reply #733278 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That actually was pretty funny. I think it's the 2nd or 3rd time this season he's complained about a flop and then flopped himself a play or two later. Might as well, if they're not going to call it.

Reply #733279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but as he's so outspoken about flopping and how it needs to be removed from the game etc, he’s really showing his hypocrisy.

Reply #733281 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

just watching replay. Thought Barlow was more a loss of balance compared to Bogut, who starts to go down before contact was even made. Maybe he is a Flopacrite.

Reply #733282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's right. Barlow’s wasn’t even a flop.

Reply #733283 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

Barlow was a trip. Bogut is a sure flop.

Reply #733317 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Barlow lost his balance.

He doesn't flop.

Bogut's on the next play was questionable, but I'm not sure it was a flop.

Reply #733377 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Best adjustment I've seen from Gaze in almost 3 seasons"

Agreed. The way they manipulated the way they defended the ball screen and used the ball screen at the other end was first class. They exploited Melbourne's half-court D as well as almost anyone last night.

Reply #733379 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754