Anonymous
Years ago

Why the Phoenix won't rise again, again

As somebody once said "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".

As some may know and recall, Phoenix was a proposed name for Melbourne United.
Their application was rejected, but even they weren't the first to be knocked back, because even Netball Australia tried to snaffle the name and were rejected.
The Trademark was, and still is, owned by the Victorian Netball Association.

Have they arranged to purchase the IP??
As that would be the only way I can see this going ahead.

If not, the big concern must be that the application won't receive its first report until May.

Topic #44781 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You must be fun at parties

Reply #733215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is this something today? Didn't this all get yelled by people several months ago after the announcement?

Reply #733220 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I too recall a thread about this issue.

What is baffling to me are all these franchises' obsession with such a crappy nickname.

Reply #733231 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

What about the Fruit Bats? That name taken yet?

Reply #733253 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Melbourne Phoenix were disbanded in 2007. In July 2008 the Melbourne Phoenix Football Club was registered as a business and trading name. That business (MPFC) is still active on the Australian Business Register, with the Melbourne Phoenix name.

Netball Victoria's supposed ownership of the trademark didn't stop MPFC from trading under that name, from less than a year after the netball team was disbanded. I don't see it being a problem 12 years later.

Reply #733272 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754