Jack Toft
Years ago

Adelaide v Canberra Feb 13 GF Game 2

Canberra got the better of a fast starting Adelaide in game 1, but hey, this is the best of 3 series and all fairy tales have an obstacle to overcome. A packed stadium in Canberra, but something tells me Adelaide Arena might be a bit chock a block too.

Nurse lead all scorers and KG23 was superb for Canberra scoring 0.76 points per minute of play, 12 boards and not giving away a foul. I guess those long Alaskan winters give you plenty of time to practice your skills in the gym and you can always practice your boxing out skills with the bears outside. All the Canberra starters got into double figures with the bench basically getting splinters all night, except for Harry's big sister.

Canberra ran their bench pretty lean with 92% of court time split between 6 players.

Adelaide spread their court time more evenly, but shooting % got them in the end, ending up 23 from 70 vs 35 from 73.

There's probably not too much that Fairy Godfather Lucas would want to change going into this match except for practicing those shots, and boxing out.

The scene is set for Chris Lucas to sprinkle some pixie dust, wave his magic wand and send this series into a third and deciding game.

Topic #44808 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

half time = lightning 37 . capitals 44
griffin = 13 and 14 of course leading...

Reply #733840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing game.

Reply #733841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game of the season...

Reply #733842 | Report this post

Brenton Coppick  
Years ago

HOLEY MOLEY WE WON 1 PT LAST SECOND 74-73

Reply #733846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Double dribble just before, but looked like Seekamp got it off before the buzzer.
What a win, what a game. Game 3!

Reply #733847 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

crowd 3,702 . great game by and for everybody.

Reply #733849 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

What an end to a game.

Shot off in the nick of time, then the ball rolls around the rim teasing us all. Do I drop, or do I not. ....... yeah, let's have a third game

Reply #733850 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

if it was a weekend (saturday - not a junior night or a school night) game - they would have easily got another 1,000 - 1,500 there. Still a good show and plenty of support.

Reply #733857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha the shot was late. Adelaide can only win with home cooking.

Reply #733859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One angle it looks like it was late, another looks like she got it off. Weird...

Reply #733863 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Hahahaha the shot was late. Adelaide can only win with home cooking."

Maybe it was the Hand of God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ccNkksrfls

Reply #733864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely was late, but a win is a win

Reply #733865 | Report this post

Pauline hanson  
Years ago

Can anyone please explain why Canberra would be up playing full court d from the end line when up 1pt with 5 secs to go?

Reply #733866 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

have no fear shot was good. ball half way to basket

Reply #733867 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Literally all I've seen of the game was a tweet showing the dying seconds in dodgy-quality video, but it sure looked late to me. How is that not reviewable?
I got Caps at $5 at the start of the season and I need to know who to start sending my death threats to if they choke in game 3!!

Reply #733868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBL do not use IRS

Reply #733869 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

It was clearly a double dribble by Nicholson leading up to Seekamp's shot even if it wasn't late! Still, a great contest overall and it looked like a good atmosphere with 3,500 in. A lot of people probably attended their first WNBL game tonight and will be back for more.

Reply #733872 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I replayed the last shot in super slow mo HD on Kayo Sports and Seekamp got it off just in time:

Reply #733880 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The shot looked late at first from the main angle in real time because the TV clock went to 0:00 with the ball still in Seekamp's hands but if you go off the backboard lighting she just got it off just in time.

Can NBL and WNBL get the incorrect time on TV fixed FFS? Absolutely amateur hour.

Reply #733882 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

To be clear the screenshot above was taken at the point where the backboard lighting first turns red.

Reply #733884 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

foxtel has end to end footage in replay - shots good. James Harvey fan also have a look at 2 sets of defenders hands in that play.

Reply #733885 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes you could argue the ball was momentarily lost and regained so not a double dribble.

Reply #733886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"On the road, being able to put in this performance under trying circumstances. I'm at a loss to know some of the calls and some of the situations people were put under."

well Goriss I guess now you know how every other team feels after visiting Canberra yet I don't hear you whinging then

Reply #733888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to add another spanner into the works, I've seen the clocks at Titanium Security Arena show multiple times 0.3 seconds away from each other at times.

Reply #733889 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There was a Canberra possession that took place with 0.0 on the shot clock, wasn't there?

Reply #733891 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

To be clear the screenshot above was taken at the point where the backboard lighting first turns red.
This would suggest otherwise:

Reply #733895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't really know from that behind angle if it's touching her fingers...

Reply #733896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-lightning-win-in-controversial-circumstances-to-force-game-3/news-story/43a4a701833189987a61a97b6e2d6390

"Unfortunately the entire final play was one big blunder after another with a blatant Nicholson travel going unnoticed, before Seekamp's final shot still appeared to be in her hands when the final buzzer sounded."

Reply #733897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing is that there can't be IRS because only 15 games are professionally broadcast in the regular season out of 84 and how many stadiums have light up boards? Perth and Melbourne don't.

Reply #733901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's time the elite league caught up with the entertainment league and became more professional and used what is required by FIBA for a national competition.

Reply #733903 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Even if there couldn't be reviews for the entire season, couldn't you put them in for the playoffs?

Reply #733911 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Doesn't the game end when a ref blows their whistle, rather than when the scoring gets to 0 or the backboard lights up or whatever?

Reply #733914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #733918 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Jenny with a poor photo of an SD screen.

Reply #733919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The WNBL facebook page has a photo taken behind the basket with the clock on 0.0 and the red dot lit. The fact Foxsports are covering the entire finals series surely should have meant IRS was invoked to make sure incidents like this do not sour the finals series. Amateur hour.

Reply #733921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't the ball sacks have TV replays available?? Once again its amateur hour

Reply #733922 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Even Jenny Froling's picture shows a gap between the hand and the ball. Not daylight, but a gap. The question of whether the ball got away in time is answered as "yes"

The big unanswered question, is what camera is she using? Was is off a Nokia flip phone?

Reply #733924 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BA/WNBL statement:

In relation to the final shot of the game, through the current broadcast technology the league does not have the capacity to implement an Instant Replay System (IRS) and has not for the past two seasons.

Therefore, the call on the night stands.

The league looks forward to another packed AIS Arena for Game 3 on Saturday evening.

Reply #733934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing statement

Reply #733937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what else they could have said in the statement.

Reply #733938 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

If they thought nothing was wrong, why make a statement?

The fact they made a statement means "Sorry stiff bickies Cap's".

Reply #733953 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

look at 2 sets of defenders hands in the last dew seconds.

Reply #733965 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

few

Reply #733966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was there dew on the ball?

Reply #733972 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Lelani Mitchell is a class act . Minutes after losing by a point , she spoke to media . " At least we are back on our home court . It's also good for the League.
Aw , I don't wanna talk about the refs ." when asked...

Reply #734040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Don't really know from that behind angle if it's touching her fingers...'

Because fingers usually point up and not down after shooting the ball...

Reply #734337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

game 3 thread please jack!

Reply #734355 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754