Anonymous
Years ago

Kings pay equalisation subsidy: JVG

Jvg confirmed the equalisation subsidy (or luxury tax) is paid by the Kings. So there you go to the skeptics

Topic #44814 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

I find it difficult to believe anyone on here who was previously insisting it didn't happen will be convinced by JVG saying it did.

Reply #733890 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

The overspenders do pay, but initially it was sold to fans that the money would go to the smaller clubs to spend a little more on their roster, hence an "equalization tax", but the league supposedly just puts the money towards marketing for the smaller clubs.

Reply #733898 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Wasn't it spun by the NBL as being kept in reserve as well in case there were problems with a team being able to sustain itself as well?

If it wasn't spun as an equalisation tax to start with, saying that the poorer clubs would have been able to access it to keep things even, then the NBL wouldn't have such a credibility issue (on this topic at least) - it's that they didn't fully think it through and promised something that didn't eventuate... Which is pretty much standard for them...

Reply #733900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember reading an article where Beecroft said Cairns received some payments

Reply #733904 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Paying for marketing for smaller clubs still helps smaller clubs by freeing up cash, but I hope ALL the subsidy is spent on that and none is just being pocketed by the league.

Reply #733908 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think the league 'pockets' money as such, they aren't exactly a money-making operation at this point. But agree if it's meant as equalisation it should be used as that.

Reply #733910 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'm with Kobe - unless I get confirmation from a second (trustworthy) source, it’s probably just spin to save his arse or to make him look good.

Reply #733916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is funny that everyone doubts this happens without any sort of substance or source of their own.

Reply #733930 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If it wasn't happening and JvG said it was, you would have to think the lower budget teams would be making some noise.

Reply #733957 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754