Jack Toft
Years ago

Melbourne v Cairns

Very much a danger game for United, but not from a losing perspective, from an injury perspective. The universe works in mysterious ways and these games have the potential to cause havoc for those who don't take them seriously. DV would not want anything to happen to his stars.

United are locked into finals and a win tonight puts the pressure on Perth for top spot and sets it up for an exciting final game. But, strange things happen in these games, especially when a team has nothing to lose, like Cairns.

With pride on the line, I would expect to see this game being a game of two halves. Cairns will want to pressure United in the first half and have nothing to lose. United would just want to get the W. I'm particularly looking forward to the People's MVP (Trimble) vs the League MVP (Ware).

I'm expecting the score might be even at the half, or even with Cairns in front, but United to put the foot down in the second to get the win. If you see CG43 with his wrist in ice, you'll know he's ready for action.

While the first half might be even, be prepared for the Valentines Day massacre in the second half. United in double figures in the end.

Topic #44818 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Good analysis JT.

Even those LK haters would surely want United to win, to set up the top spot clash on Sunday? Cos if United lose, it belongs to Perth (if they beat Adelaide).

Reply #733909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns to get the W.
Cats to lose to adelaide.

Top of the table clash on Sunday

Reply #733935 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Even those LK haters would surely want United to win..."

False

Reply #733939 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Even those LK haters would surely want United to win

I don't hate anyone, and I sincerely hope we beat the snot out of you :)

Reply #733942 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

There is very very little chance that United lose this.

Reply #733947 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There is very very little chance that United lose this.

Yep, hold my beer. That's what LBJ said in 1964 as he sent off 1,000,000 troops to some tropical hellhole in SE Asia ....

Reply #733956 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Soneone tell Loughton he doesn't have to play for a contract next season.

Reply #733973 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Everyone bringing their D game against Cairns lately it seems.

Reply #733974 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Kudos to Loughzy, lapping up the final moments of his career. His love for the game is why he's playing like this

Reply #733975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are Melbourne serious..wtf

Reply #733978 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

WTF indeed. No standout team in the NBL this season.

Reply #733979 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Vickerman just went full Gleeson, you never go full Gleeson

Reply #733980 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Vickerman just went full Gleeson, you never go full Gleeson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q

Reply #733981 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Someone tell Barlow to go outside once in a while, the bloke looks like a fricking vampire.

Reply #733982 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

People criticise fake tans and tanning salons but they are preferable to looking like an unhealthy ghost

Reply #733984 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Refs were trying to get melb back in the game. Melb just refusing to hit their shots.

Kelly had every right to call the ref out for refusing to review. May have gone a bit overboard. But funny. I enjoyed it.

Reply #733985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

newbill is fucking shyt

Reply #733986 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Wow refs cooking for united. Only review for one team...

Reply #733987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fucking bullshit! HOME COOKING

Reply #733988 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Lol.....

Gonna enjoy LV bitching bout the refs from this game.

Reply #733989 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Why is Newbill on the floor? Three consecutive possessions he's fucked up now.

It's not like this is a new thing he's horrible late in games.

Reply #733991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF "Jick"

Reply #733992 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Happy to spoil MU's party...

Reply #733993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fuck melbourne!

Reply #733994 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good to see Cairns get the win just a shame Newbill made it that close.

Reply #733995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

melbourne are retarded for losing that

what a bunch of fools

Reply #733996 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cairns have proven what most of us already knew. They're better than a 6 win team

Reply #733997 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Newbill's run in the third quarter was huge.

Steadied the ship, just when it looked like United was about to run off with a double digit win

Reply #733998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United ran an 8 man press for the entire final quarter but still couldn't get it done.

Reply #734001 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Jack, do the preview for Perth Adelaide asap! That game just took on more meaning, finals or guaranteed top spot!!

Reply #734003 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Of course not a peep from LV about the next level home cooking.

Reply #734006 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Cairns won tough....first time this season.

Reply #734007 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The last one was obviously off Newbill

Agree- on the no replay tho. 1:58 on the clock, if it was close (I wasn't paying attention on that play) should've been reviewed

Not sure about next level home cooking though. Refs put whistles away- late for both teams. Few crucial calls against United too. Trimble's learnt some lessons off Goulding on flopping maybe

Reply #734010 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Agree- on the no replay tho. 1:58 on the clock, if it was close (I wasn't paying attention on that play) should've been reviewed
It's not reviewable.

The last one was obviously off Newbill
Oh piss off.

Reply #734013 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Oh piss off

No u. That was off Newbill, from a keen-eyed Taipans supporter

Reply #734014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OOB is reviewable. Trimble stepped on the line. Ref thinks it's obvious so doesn’t review. Kelly doesn’t think he did. Just review it and keep everyone happy.

Reply #734015 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Whether it's out or not isn't reviewable.

Reply #734017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair point.

Reply #734020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne were crap, Cairns should have won by 10 plus, Trimble has gone from a scorer only to now being a passer and better defender. Mike Kelly should be congratulated. Where to for Melbourne from here, they looked disinterested. Still can win it but made it a lot harder and easier for Perth. Don't understand the way and time on Melbourne’s subs. Rob Loe was very good as well.

Reply #734028 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Rob Loe stopped trying to hit the outside 3, got some shots to drop inside and managed to (mostly) stay out of foul trouble, at least by his standards. He's been a massive disappointment for me but he did show glimpses of what he could do tonight.

Reply #734033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with you Kobe because it's a judgement call. But I’m the last 2 mins a goaltending call that is made is reviewable and that is also a judgement call.

Reply #734041 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A few years ago post the Melbourne-NZ debacle, the NBL made a public statement that all calls in the final two minutes were reviewable. Has that changed?

Reply #734047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Judgement calls are not reviewable, ie block/charge. OOB we can only check who is went out off, not if it went out.

Reply #734048 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I thought I remembered seeing reviewed within the last year a block/charge involving the charge circle. Maybe it was NBA, but something tells me it was NBL. Weirdly, they checked the charge circle (objective check), then while they were there checked the subjective aspects of the call and changed it based on that

Reply #734049 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From three seasons ago:

"The NBL on Monday night responded by implementing a new rule, allowing any decision in the last two minutes of a game to be referred for review by the IRS at the referees' discretion."

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-referees-stood-down-over-farcical-finish-to-melbourne-united-v-new-zealand-clash/news-story/32148e20587c59d18c42c45629966779

Reply #734050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No longer in use Paul

Reply #734051 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Ref's tried very hard in that last qtr to get Melbourne home.
Maybe Lovebroker called them,as there was little chance of Cairns winning apparently?

Reply #734059 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cheers for that info anon, do you know why it was abandoned?

Reply #734062 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So when the refs reviewed the OOB between McCarron and Newbill, could they have used that to call the foul by McCarron? (He appeared to hack Newbill across the arm.)

Reply #734063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to 95% FIBA Paul.

No Hoopie it is not the NBA you cannot review if something should be a foul or not. Only whether you are upgrading to USF or downgrading from USF

Reply #734067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To much procrastinating about the refs, it didn't change the result. Melbourne were crap, Kelly won the coaches battle.

Reply #734087 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So in the past week Vickermann has been owned by his ex-head coach Gaze and ex-assistant coach Kelly. Interesting.

Reply #734111 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

To much procrastinating about the refs
That's not what that word means.

Reply #734116 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

That's not what that word means.

At least inform the young lad

Reply #734123 | Report this post

Moore or Less  
Years ago

LV will make sure that Melbourne win.... Oh hang on.. Maybe he isn't able to control the results?? Or let me guess he orchestrated a loss so that MU play away and still win? Not sure....can someone let me know that now MU have lost how the LV 2019 conspiracy narrative is set up....

Reply #734320 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The LV conspiracy is still in play

Reply #734384 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754