Anonymous
Years ago

So have Perth locked up top spot?

Probably a dumb question, but I just was not expecting this result. Cairns have been the Wrecking Ball.

So with 18 wins, and clear on percentage, are they now untouchable?

Topic #44824 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

Melbourne can get it if they win by 33 on Sunday.

Reply #734323 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

By my calcs, Melbourne need to win by 30 or more to take top spot.

Reply #734324 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Depends on what melb can keep Perth too, assuming they win massively, which they have too.

But it basically has to be a 30+ point margin and keeping Perth to as low a score as possible. If Perth get above 70 points. It becomes more and more difficult for melb.

It's unlikely, but not impossible

Reply #734325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth should just not rock up, cop the old 20-0 forfeit score, secure top spot while also avoiding travel and resting up and not risking injury. Easy.

Reply #734326 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Imagine what place on the standings we would have got if only we had got that 3rd import!

Reply #734330 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United could win by 32

92 to 60.

Gives them 2597/2468 = 105.22%

Perth 2489/2366 = 105.20%

Reply #734331 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would have been much higher.

Reply #734332 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yeah the higher the score the harder it is for United

Reply #734333 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"By my calcs, Melbourne need to win by 30 or more to take top spot."

That would seem to be the case.

Hard to see that happenning

Reply #734334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it is very unlikely but not impossible that the cats miss out on top spot. They still have time to bring in a 3rd import to help boost their chances in the last game but they probably won't because they have no clue and no balls and their members will still keep eating up the horrible treatment they cop like the clueless suckers they are, right Perthworld? It must suck pretty hard to be one of those Perth members mustn't it Perthworld. They get played for fools constantly and for some reason keep coming back for more.

Reply #734336 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Perth would have finished higher than 1st with a 3rd import.

They will learn their lesson and if they have any balls, will rectify it. Unfortunately for them it's too late and they will have to wait till next season.

They still have a few games to fool around with this failed 2 import setup. But everyone knows they underperformed.

Barely scraping into a minor premiership, assuming they can luck into it, will just show that all the "experts" were right about them.

It's about time we all listen to homicide and his ability to tell us how it is. I doubt anyone can even bring up 65 times he was wrong this season... Go on I dare you. Try it...

Sorry... Weird rant over. Felt fun to type it though. But drunk so probably will laugh at myself in the morning.

On topic though. I'm still excited for Sunday. Melb are gonna come out fierce. I can feel it

Reply #734338 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

man did Melbourne balls this up

Reply #734341 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Yep, United screwed up. Once again, they seem to have believed the hype too much and lost their way (and teamwork) when it mattered.
How often did we see hero ball (and watch it fail) when they were under pressure?!

Sadly, I think the GF is Perth's to lose.

Reply #734345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everything going to script with Melbourne finishing #1 and winning the title in regulation manner would not have been consistent with the random nature of this season. I bet there is still a twist or 2 yet to come as well. That's what has been great about the NBL this season.

Reply #734346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopie

On the money, hero ball far to often this season.

Reply #734349 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In Perth's 4 home games this season vs United and Sydney:

- Lost to Sydney in a thriller
- Beat Sydney in OT
- Beat United in double OT with the help of a dodgy charge call on Casper
- Beat United by 5

I'd say we're in for a great GF series. Could well go down to the wire in Game 5!

Reply #734351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

could go down to the Hire

Reply #734353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing bigger than the Cats turning their season around is Perthworld slowly changing his posting style to pretend he's been supporting the team this entire time.

Reply #734362 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Someone has a crush on me. Cute.

The fact we got lucky that Melb Utd choked against the bottom side does not absolve the club of its lack of inaction.

Reply #734375 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

action*

(plus the fact the rest of the Top 4 aren't convincing themselves of late)

Reply #734376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact we finished first kind of makes all your incessant bleating during the season even more laughable.

Reply #734389 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Melbourne have to win by 32 or more. Anything less and they finish second on percentage.

If you do the sums, for Melbourne's percentage to go above Perth's on a 31 point margin then Melbourne would have to score at least 919 points. That's never going to happen. The score requirement gets even more ridiculously huge for a 30 point margin (they need to score 4226 points). Any margin less than 30 points and Melbourne can't go above Perth no matter how big a score they get.

If Melbourne get a 32 point or bigger margin, they end with a higher percentage than Perth, however many points they score to do it.

Reply #734423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes the NBL website adjusted the points for & against on their detailed ladder page some time since last night.
32 is correct regardless of if the cats score 60 or 100

Reply #734424 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

PS - there've been two games with a margin more than 31 points this season. NZ beating Illawarra and Perth beating Illawarra.

The only other game to have a margin of 30 or more was Brisbane beating Cairns (31).

Melbourne will have their work cut out for them and most likely outcome is Perth 1st, Sydney 2nd and Melbourne 3rd.

Reply #734425 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Wow, twats coming out of the woodwork.
So how many of you were predicting Perth would finish 1st when they went down at home to Cairns??
Yeah, the silence is deafening.

TBH its more thrilling this way. To have people seriously suggest the streak was over, and then come back and snatch 1st place, is awesome. But I'm not about to pretend I saw it coming.

Reply #734508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #734645 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes!!! We did it!!

Reply #734648 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #734665 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:07 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754