Anonymous
Years ago

Makur Maker u19 Boomers?

In Olgun Uluc's latest article about Makur Maker, it says this -

"One of the mutual paths they all hope to cross is the one that involves wearing the green and gold. Thon has already done it, while Matur hopes to follow in his footsteps. As for Makur, he's made himself available for the Australian under-19 team, if they selected him, and hopes to one day see the entire Maker Mob on the court at the same time, wearing Boomers colours."

IIRC, the u19 squad was recently announced (the one that features Josh Green), and Makur wasn't on the list. Surely if available he would be a lock? Does anyone know more about this?

Topic #44828 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I asked the question in the othe thread, but no one had any knowledge as to why he wasn't chosen.

Froling anddalton are the only 2 legit bigs we have. The others are not up to scratch it seemswatching the u20 champs. It would be great if we could get him because he has been on fire lately.

Reply #734427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(OP here)It definitely sounds like he deserves a spot. I'm not well versed on junior levels of play but I would have to imagine Maker would be the best big man available.

IIRC that article from Olgun came out after the u19 squad was announced. Is there a possibility perhaps that he declared his availability after the selection process and they're now looking to accomodate him on the squad?

Watching an u19 with Green and Maker would be the most interested I would be to watch junior Boomers ball since the Simmons/Exum squads. Hope it happens.

Reply #734493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't have a lot of 6'10" guys outside of Dalton and Froling, but there are a ton of long, athletic, switchy wings available. Playing the right style of basketball, I don't think we'd really miss another big. Bowen can play above his size in the paint, too. I don't buy that Maker would be a lock, let alone best big available. It's easy to put together a mixtape that makes a player look impressive, and if you want to take the word of Thon and the guardian who kept Thon such an unknown quantity that he got drafted, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you...

It's going to be a very hard group to select. And that's despite the absence of guys like Capetola and Rantall.

Mayfield (ACT) and Richards (Tas) both making good cases for camp invites at u20s. But it is a stacked group and neither would make the final cut so probably doesn't really matter. Some very good players are going to miss out.

A rough depth chart? A lot of positional flexibility and plenty of arguments to be made for reordering some of the lines.
PG: Lee, McDonald, Wigness, Armstrong
SG: Green, Stattman, Krause, Goodrick, Clarke
SF: Robertson, Ducas, Swaka, Travers, Bairstow
PF: Froling, Bowen, Leaupepe, Kunen, Bannan, Williamson
C: Dalton, Hayes-Brown

Reply #734495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'1 Lee / 6'1 MacDonald
6'6 Green / 6'4 Krause
6'7 Stattman / 6'6 Robertson
6'8 Bowen / 6'6 Leupepe
7'0 Froling / 6'9 Dalton

2 spots up for grabs I'd say, anyone's guess atm...

Reply #734500 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754