LV
Years ago

Players to watch in the NBL Playoffs

Heading into the playoffs, who are you watching closely?

DJ Kennedy for mine.

He doesn't get much attention because he goes about his business with a minimum of fuss. Not many huge dunks, no threes from the car park, not much fist pumping. He doesn't have the slick post moves of a Tai Wesley. He just gets it done.

And just quietly, his last third of the season might've been as good as anybody in the NBL after Shawn Long.

His last 8 games- 15.6ppg, 10.0rpg, 4.8apg, 1.1spg, 0.9bpg. Keep doing that, and it'll greatly increase the chances of United going back to back.

Another one worth watching is Clint Steindl.

Ever since arriving back in the NBL, he hasn't been the player many expected. But he's had a few big games this season, and with Norton out he should get opportunities in the playoffs. In a typical tight, low scoring playoff tussle that the Wildcats enjoy, Steindl could be the sparkplug off the bench who blows the game open.

Topic #44852 | Report this topic

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Lamar Patterson will go to another level, Bullets $13 title odds are crazy.

Reply #735006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley

Reply #735011 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Steindl had a nice run to end the season, but he still jacks up too many contested 3s I think. The law of averages will even out his shooting numbers, but when spotting up and open he's as deadly as he was in Townsville.

Kennedy is a good one though, and has improved a great deal as the season has gone on. The 3/4 combo forward like DJ should be nearly as much of a lock re: one of your import slots as the PG position in this league.

Brandt is one of the big x-factors for my money. Brings it against Bogut but not really against anyone else for whatever reason. He should have his way inside with Brisbane, and matches up well with Bogut and/or Boone in the Finals.

Reply #735013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Venky, but only when he shoots free throws.

Reply #735014 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Goulding and Gliddon.

Reply #735023 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

BOGUT
So far he has come across as spoilt Prima-donna, who thinks this league is beneath him. Time to show that he actually deserved those awards.
If he can put in the performance those awards indicate, he could lead the Kings to a Championship (obviously with the support of Randle, Lisch, Newley, et al)
I don't think it will happen, but who knows.

Te RANGI
We know the kid has really improved this season, although seems to have faded towards the end. But his impact has been good without being exceptional. He could really step up and be an x-factor for Brissy.

Obviously I am a Cats fan, but I still think there are a few to watch, for a variety of reasons. The Cats backed these guys to get it together, and so far it has worked.

White.
I've been ambivalent on him all season. Has a good game, then a crap game, goes missing at times. These are all clutch games, so it will be interesting to see if he can finally play consistent ball across 5~8 consecutive playoffs.

Martin
We all know how good he can be, and we all know he steps up when the season is on the line. But lets also not forget that 3 years ao he was the Finals MVP. With Norton out, the Cats need him more than ever. Have those old legs got one more ring in them?

Jervis
You'd have to think his career is on the line.
I've never seen anybody miss as many easy put-backs as he has this season. And the Cats are going to need him to combat Boone & Pledger. As always, Trev will give him a chance, and if he gets it togther early, it could have a significant impact on the games.

Reply #735066 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cadee, if you have a sense of dark humour.

Reply #735085 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:42 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754