Isaac
Years ago

Andrew Gaze to leave Kings after season

Only so many frustrated looks from Andrew Bogut at Gaze drawing up plays that the fans could endure...

Bevo to replace Gaze is the rumour. He's coached Bogut, Newley and Lisch before, though indications are that Newley might move.

The Kings had originally planned to wait until after the club's playoff campaign before addressing Gaze’s future.

However, this changed at 9pm last night when Gaze contacted Sydney officials to inform them he had decided to move on.
Daily Telegraph.

Hehe:
He has a 50 per cent winning record with 42 wins and 42 losses, making him the third most successful coach in Kings history behind Brian Goorjian and Bob Turner.
It’s understood the mental challenge of coaching and being away from his family in Melbourne took a toll on the NBL legend.

Hawks not sounding particularly proactive...
Illawarra coach Rob Beveridge has been heavily linked to the Kings if Gaze decided to end his tenure.

Hawks General Manager Mat Campbell told The Daily Telegraph the club would start discussions with Beveridge about his tenure at the club in the coming weeks.

Beveridge has publicly stated he isn’t sure if he’ll be coaching at Illawarra or another NBL club next season.

Topic #44853 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Maybe not the best timing to announce.

Reply #735022 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #735024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not good for the Kings 2019 Finals campaign.

Hopefully the coaches and players can be extremely professional and block this unnecessary distraction.

Reply #735025 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

The "mental challenge of coaching"! POORLY chosen words

Reply #735026 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I find the timing of this announcement really odd. It could serve as a distraction but it could also serve as motivation as you get the sense that Gaze is liked by the playing group (not that professionals should need any more motivation other than winning a title). Not sure why they wouldn't just wait until after their season is done, whenever that is.

Reply #735027 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I heard it from someone reliable maybe a month ago that he was leaving regardless of the Kings' performance this year, but still surprised they announced it at this point in time, unless it's to start the semi-officially courting of Bevo.

Reply #735029 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not surprising- has a tight knit family. His son must be....17 or 18 by now? Girls in their 20s.

He's a family man.

Maybe he'll reappear in Melbourne media. Hope so.

Reply #735030 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

As long as the job doesn't get given to Copeland, and Copeland retires (or gets retired) as well.

So who would be likely to get the Hawks job if Bevo leaves? I don’t think they can afford to risk promoting an assistant coach, given their limited fan-base and financial struggles.

Reply #735033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good timing for the Kings. He might still not know exactly what he is doing but he is still loved and respected by his players so watch them unite and fire up in the playoffs.

Reply #735034 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Rumoured, likely movements:
=====================================
36ers: Joey (US), Sobey (Phoenix)
Sydney: Gaze (Commentary), Newley (36ers)
Hawks: Bevo (Sydney)

Reply #735036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt to Phoenix

Reply #735039 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Fearney to Sydney

Reply #735041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumoured Movements
==============================

Kings: Randle- Europe or China
Wear - NBA G League
Pineau - Mel Phoenix
Bowan - NBA
Newly - 36ers or best Offer
Kickert - will Weigh up options

United: Goulding - Kings, Mel Phoenix or Europe
Ware - Europe

Bullets: Lemanis - Will decide after playoffs
Hodgson - Mel Phoenix

Reply #735044 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Very weird timing for the announcement.

I grew up watching Drewy play, speak and met him a few times. Love the man. But I don't think coaching is his thing. Really hope he gets back into the media side of thing as that's where I think he's of most use to the game.

Reply #735046 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

please Fearney to sydney.

Fearney v Bogut? where's my popcorn!

Reply #735047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't find the timing surprising.

Gaze was never going to be retained, only had a very small chance to stick around if the Kings won the title.

He leaves now and saves face. Kings don’t have to deal with the PR of 'sacking’ a league legend. Win win for all parties.

Reply #735050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo at Sydney for sure. He and Bogut go way back. Bogut cant stand Gaze, be he loves and respects Bevo

Reply #735051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ya don't need Aaron Fearne back in this league,it’s like watching Ross Lyon coached AFL sides,ya just can’t watch them,despite not winning many Cairns were competitive and good to watch,if Bevo goes just hope Illawarra have those good kids tied up

Reply #735055 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Hodgo is staying in Brisbane.

Reply #735056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, as I said some weeks back, the deal has already been done.

I imagine I'm still not allowed to publicly announce his replacement, but those in the know here already know.

I'll give you 4 hints:

1. It's not Bevo
2. It's not a current or former Senior Coach
3. His replacement won't be named until after the finals, probably after the Grand Finals.
4. It's obvious.

Reply #735058 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So, if Drewey is going, what's the story with JVG? Is he also jumping before he’s pushed, or did he chuck Drewey under the bus in order to save his own job?

Reply #735063 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I think every man and his dog saw this coming... I said the day that he was signed that he will never get sacked but will have to leave on his own terms... The timing is really interesting though... I like the point that they announce it now, then it doesn't look like he was let go due to getting swept by United... Plus then they've got the time until the first game to just move on from it...

So maybe it's not obvious if it's not a current or former senior coach? Unless JvG has a cousin or something that he wants to give a gig before he "explores other opportunities"?

Hopefully they announce a quality new coach before they expect people to re-up for membership... With Madge signing with the Phoenix, I'm running out of reasons to continue as a member, but at least Gaze not coaching them again is a good start... Hopefully he goes back into commentary as he was much better suited to that and should never have gotten into coaching... If he wanted an administration job, a fan-facing role like a GM or whatever would have been more ideal...

Signing Bogut really helped his win/loss record as that 18-10 helped bring him back to 50%...

Reply #735065 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I'd love to believe that anonymous post above, because then that means Bevo would stay in the Illawarra!

Surely you aren't implying Bogut as the Captain/Coach?

Reply #735068 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If the Kings are blazing away on a brand new, competent direction then I'm expecting Bevo. If it's Copeland on the other hand...

Reply #735070 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So, if Drewey is going, what's the story with JVG? Is he also jumping before he's pushed, or did he chuck Drewey under the bus in order to save his own job?

You'd have to think its the latter.

Rightly or Wrongly, he's assembled a super squad that anybody but Gaze would have ridden to top spot and championship favourtism. His argument will be that with the right coach success is guaranteed.

Reply #735071 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Couldn't Gaze let Dane Pineau make the announcement?

Reply #735074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Luke Kendall gets to stay at kings, him and Bogut talk at all time outs so you would think he'll stay on. If not gets assistant job elsewhere or maybe the head job at Illawarra.
Interesting times ahead, I’m actually hearing a few things but it’s all BS at present imo, players and managers jockeying for position.
JVG is gone I believe, as the new owner take over the running of the club.

Reply #735078 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I'd love to believe that anonymous post above, because then that means Bevo would stay in the Illawarra!

Surely you aren't implying Bogut as the Captain/Coach?

Reply #735083 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Kendall CAN coach...

So can Coach Carter : )

Reply #735084 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Who's the tall dude with the glasses who appeared on the Kings bench a little while ago? Name escapes me, but I think it saw it on these boards.

Reply #735087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you hinting at Matt Nielsen as coach? I'm trying to think of people likely to be busy until after the grand final. I thought he wanted to stay in Perth for family reasons.

Reply #735094 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

AngusH - that's Dane's dad, isn't it? Assistant coach and ex-Tiger and mate of Gazey, yes?

Reply #735095 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nielsen did cross my mind if what anon means by "senior coach" = head coach.

I find it funny this site has anonymous posting to make it easier for news to be leaked without registering etc. yet the anons still won't do it.

Reply #735096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Nielson has all his wife's family in Perth, I’m not convinced it’s him.

Reply #735099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I highly doubt its Nielsen, came back to Perth to be with his family and settle down. I don't think he will want to move away. If he becomes a head coach it'll be when he takes Gleesons job.

Reply #735100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gazey is high fiving Copes somewhere right now that they've finally destroyed their old rivals the kings

Reply #735102 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Not Bevo, hasn't coached before, won't be named until after GF...

Clearly Homocide.

Reply #735103 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Can someone remind me of Shane Heal's coaching credentials and success rate?

Surely Sydney wouldn’t take that big a gamble?

Reply #735107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me quote the following:

"With 's mother still residing in , he hopes to return home soon to the place where it all began."

Reply #735108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it is Matt Nielsen

Reply #735110 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If the Gleeson to China rumour is true then I would imagine Nielsen would probably take over from him at Perth.

Reply #735112 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Gleeson won't go to China. His wife has had a serious illness, you don't want that to flare up in china.

Reply #735118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt JVG will be gone.

Say what you want, but he recruited one helluva team this season. Bought snatched from Melbourne, Bowen Jnr was a great X factor get, Turned underrated late season addition to address weaknesses.

Wear was strange considering he's practically a Kickert-lite, but whatevs.

Reply #735158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG
Lol, snatched from Melbourne, he paid twice the money, he has spent in one season what Illawarra spend in three for one semifinal appearance so far. If Joey had his budget he'd be triple premiership coach.

Reply #735163 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"If the Gleeson to China rumour is true then I would imagine Nielsen would probably take over from him at Perth."

The rumours of Gleeson moving on are certainly interesting. If he could win his 4th championship in 6 years, that's certainly a great resume for an Australian coach.

I'd be surprised. He's rebuilding the squad and has the chance to build another dynasty. But stranger things have happened.

I believe he has ambitions of coaching the Boomers. Would that be helped or hindered by taking an overseas role?

And would the Cats hand over to an assistant??

Is Bevo only looking at Sydney because he thins the Hawks are going to fold? If not, who takes over?
Surely not Hammertime?

I'd like to see Dennis get another shot at the NBL, but maybe Japan pays better?

Reply #735166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dennis will join bevo at Sydney as an assistant.

Reply #735172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And would the Cats hand over to an assistant??: Who has no real coaching cred at all. Yes please!

Reply #735176 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

"I'll give you 4 hints:
1. It's not Bevo
2. It's not a current or former Senior Coach
3. His replacement won't be named until after the finals, probably after the Grand Finals.
4. It's obvious."

OBVIOUSLY BOGUT IS THE NEW COACH !!!

Reply #735178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the time for Dennis to continue being a HC in this league has been and gone. He's spent too much time on the outer and the League has progressed.

Reply #735186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Kendall. If so good appointment.

Reply #735190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I imagine I'm still not allowed to publicly announce his replacement, but those in the know here already know."
NO reason not to be able to post a rumour here at all.
My info is that it is Bevo fwiw.

Reply #735233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess anything is possible, but I will be genuinely shocked if its Bevo.
Firstly, I can tell you for a fact that a "deal was done" several weeks back now. Now I suppose nothing is definite until a contract is signed, and even then things can change, and maybe Sydney changed their mind when they heard Bevo was available???
But understanding the reasoning behind the original decision, I don't understand why they would change.

The other issue, and why I just can't see Bevo at the Kings, is the size of his Ego. Perth wasn't big enough for his and Marvin's, so I fail to see how Sydney can accommodate him, JVG, and Bogut.
The previous deal fits JVG's MO, this doesn't. So I can only think that maybe he'll be moving on also?

Reply #735318 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Pretty sure JvG is gone.

Reply #735333 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:27 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754