koberulz
Years ago

Crediting Steals

Under the current rules, a steal is credited to a player who deflects a ball if that then results in a live-ball turnover.

I have vague memories of this not always being the rule, and it being the player who comes up with the ball who gets credit (which appears to still be the NBA rule). Am I remembering this correctly? If so, does anyone know when this changed?

Topic #44859 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I remember the same, Kobe, and sometime in the last couple seasons I remember being surprised when looking at the play-by-play on a few steals. NBA has been the new way (undoubtedly the better way) for as long as I remember

Reply #735143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.fiba.basketball/documents/2015/FIBA_Stats_Manual20120920.pdf

Current Stats Manual. Page 15 Steals

All everyone needs to do is just read, a novelty I know.

Reply #735151 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ironic coming from someone who clearly failed to read my post.

Reply #735152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA credits the guy who deflects it. I've followed it closely from a fantasy Basketball perspective

Reply #735153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA by the way runs on the same definition.

Reply #735154 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It doesn't seem to, unless the video I linked to is out of date.

Regardless, I'm not asking what the rule is. I know what it is. I'm asking if FIBA (or the NBL) ever used a different rule, and if so when the change was made.

Reply #735157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are the same and always have been

Reply #735164 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754