Isaac
Years ago

Basketball Australia announces Jerril Rechter as CEO

Basketball Australia today announced the appointment of Jerril Rechter as Chief Executive Officer.

With an executive-level career spanning over 20 years, Ms. Rechter is known as an innovator, a leader and an influencer.

She is an experienced CEO who over the last seven years has played a significant role in promoting health, well-being, sport and physical activity in her role as the CEO of VicHealth.

Ms. Rechter's breadth of career experience spans high-level stakeholder management in many complex environments, including local, state and federal government bodies such as Sport Australia; peak state, national and international health and sporting bodies, together with local and national media outlets.

Topic #44862 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

GREAT get for BA. Jerril is incredibly talented and I think the best possible person for the job.

A little shocked that BA managed to do something good like this.

Really great move.

Reply #735183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Isaac, someone hacked Cram's account and posted something positive!

Reply #735184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See you at the party rechter...

Reply #735185 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

She'll be gone within 12 months, won't matter if she's really good or really bad the basketcase that BA are will wear down someone from Government.

Reply #735189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh theres the negativity.... it was sure to come out after such a positive start to the thread

Reply #735197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After reading the Q & A interview by Olgun Uluc i'm to the opinion her background is far removed from basketball and very much in the relm of a politician.
Her answers were general fluffy around the question with no substance towards
basketball.

Example: Olgun; Have you. by any chance, put together a plan or schedule on
when you plan to reach out to some of these guys, and some of
the women playing abroad, with regards to hearing what they
have to say about some of theses issues?

Rechter; Certainly, as I said, I haven't started in the role yet, so
when I get into the role, I'll be ready happy to continue this
discussion with you and let you know my plans. I'd really
appreciate the opportunity to do that.

With that answer I can only assume no one within BA truly informed her of the issues Patty and the other Aussie NBA players want resolve ASAP! And that means before the Boomers vs USA game. If not, the boomers world cup team could potentially be without 6 Aussie NBA players which will send a lightning bolt thru BA that could continue thru to the 2020 Olympics and kill any chance of a medal.

Reply #735235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah shame that those same players won't mention publicly what those issues are.
I fully support the Boomers in their efforts and at time the truth gets in the way of a good story.

Everyone remembers the poor Opals having to fly cattle class many years ago to the Olympics? The press forgot to tell the public that they flew business class to all those extra tournaments in Europe in the lead up to the Olympics. The men didn't waste their money on the extra stuff and collectively had enough money in the back to fly business class.
Now it seems the Men have "issues" and are happy to alert the media without explaining what exactly it it is they want. Perhaps and clearly I am only guessing that their demands may be OTT?
Don't know but in the interests of transparency they should reveal to everyone what it is they want? After all it is our Tax payers money funding them.

Reply #735237 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Anon, tell me a few things positive about BA from the last 15 years!

Now combine that with BA now employing someone from government rather than someone with a proven track record in a major sport... how do you honestly think this will turn out?

Reply #735241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember that dude who is/ was now in charge of Telstra! What a joke. This looms as another FUBAR decision. The reality from a Gov job to the real world (if you can call the NBL world real) will be a ball breaker. Oh she hasn't got any. Maley couldn't get it right where he came from.

Reply #735243 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This reminds me of Kristina Keneally AKA our beloved KK when the NBL was under BA and ripped $100K from each club to fund other expenditure, which was the final straw leading the league back under a private model. BA never learn.

Reply #735245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where was the big Press Conference announcing to the australian public and basketball fans the new ceo of BA showcasing her corporate credentials and allowing her tell us all how she is going to lead basketball with her non basketball experience!?

Once again BA is a laughing stock and it leaves me worried this decision at such a crucial time, so close to the World Cup and 2020 Olympics, will have a profound affect on boomers chances on their 1st medal!

Reply #735267 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I believe those that don't know her and are basing their opinions on nothing more than being a "politician" or "government" person are in for a pleasant surprise. BA hit a home run here for sure.

Reply #735289 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

She may have been great in her previous roles, but the fact remains she has no experience for this role, so I guess we'll see. Hopefully it turns out well, unfortunately the odds are stacked against a positive outcome.

Reply #735291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This article is so interesting...
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/rechter-new-basketball-australia-boss-20190220-p50z0m.html

"I align with the vision of the organisation and I enjoy the game," Rechter said."

Great you enjoy the game darling but your protected work life gives you no real qualifications to do the job.

Reply #735310 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Leading one of the world leading health promotion agencies that works closely with elite and community sporting bodies? Yeah nah that's not gonna help her at all.

And "darling".... *Vomit*

Reply #735347 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Cram do you work for BA?

How can you think someone without any experience at a major sporting organization is a good hire for BA? And being a board member of WB does not count as that experience. If the CEO of a major accounting firm who is terrific at their job with a great resume applied, would they have been a good hire?

Just joining the dots here, it would seem Rechter was the pick of an underwhelming bunch, and again I'm not saying she's not great in the field she's come from, I'm not attacking her at all.

Reply #735353 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"How can you think someone without any experience at a major sporting organization is a good hire for BA?"

Because I'm familiar with her work.

Reply #735356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Cram

Do you think she is better suited for the role than Paul Maley?
If so. How?

Reply #735361 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Paul Maley on taking on his gig at BA in 2015 - "The centrepieces are the WNBL and SEABL competitions and both are great leagues".

That clearly worked out well.

I have no doubt some people think Maley is better suited to the job because he is both a former a player and a man, something the new CEO is neither of, but those two things are not the qualifier many of you think they should be.

Rechter is a top class exec. Maley might get there one day.

Reply #735369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time will tell.

Reply #735371 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Mal Speed, pres/CEO of BA in 70's or 80's(?), was /is a solicitor and, for the times, did well in the BA role.

Reply #735376 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

By the way not defending Rechter, I know nothing of her.

But the reasoning is not really valid.

Reply #735377 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm not sure why people think being a good basketball player would make anyone good at running BA.

Reply #735378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram

It's obvious that you're an advocate of Rechter and most likely know her at some level.

My question to you is..

Why wasn't there a press conference to show off the new ceo allowing her to tell the Australian public and basketball fans what she bring to the role and how she'll make sure all boxes are ticked assuring the Opal & Boomers are in the best position to win medals at the World Cup & 2020 Olympics?

Reply #735384 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

How would I know. You'll have to ask BA's Comms team.

Reply #735386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Mal Speed, pres/CEO of BA in 70's or 80's(?), was /is a solicitor and, for the times, did well in the BA role."

What utter bullshit. Speed and Bill all but destroyed the NBL back in those days. (90's)
Speed also went on to the ICC and did a shithouse job there too.

Clearly you know nothing about Speed at all yet have such an opinion. Amazing.

Reply #735387 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Cram stop trolling for the gender debate, no one serious on this thread has mentioned male or female apart from you, if it was James Rechter the same issues are there, the person employed to the role doesn't have a desired level of relevant experience, they must have been the pick of a bad bunch, and you know what, BA probably didn't have the money to get the right person.

Reply #735391 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"The reality from a Gov job to the real world (if you can call the NBL world real) will be a ball breaker. Oh she hasn't got any"

"This reminds me of Kristina Keneally.. "

"Great you enjoy the game darling..."

Reply #735405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram that was a joke. I couldn't care if it was male or female I would say "has no balls: because they have never had any skin in the game.
Oh I like basketball, doesn't mean you should be running BA.

Reply #735408 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Of course

Reply #735409 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Cram I said anyone serious on this forum hasn't mentioned gender, you still haven't responded to any of my comments about relevant sporting organisation experience

Reply #735414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This reminds me of Kristina Keneally.. "

That comment was clearly about someone coming from the government industry without equivalent experience in the sporting industry.

Reply #735417 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I have. If that is not to your liking, tough.

Reply #735418 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Correct #417 that's why I referenced Keneally.

Cram struggling with his argument so desperately had to bring that comment up.

Reply #735454 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Ah yes, because KK taking the job after being in parliament is just the same as someone has been a CEO for the last 7 years.

Reply #735463 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Both public servants which was the point. Keep sinking...

Reply #735467 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Tenuous at best.

Reply #735482 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:30 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754