Anonymous
Years ago

South East Melb sign Chima Moneke

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/chima-moneke-signs-with-south-east-melbourne-phoenix/news-story/8b99e8a657d62d5abd7bb04508436487

Topic #44875 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Roster coming along nicely.

It all depends on Creek.

Reply #735351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TBH i think this is an overhyped signing. Played 2nd tier league in France. And from memory tried out with United before last season and the workout went awful. Super athlete though.

Reply #735357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your comment about him is a full haters comment! You can't take away a guys full body of work based on situations you didn’t and can’t see.

Reply #735372 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

22 years old, super athlete and great college numbers. Seems like a good signing to me.

Reply #735388 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Overhyped"? Well I haven't read the hype, so can't say. If you were thinking of him as a starter, then sure, but he's a talented youngster with plenty of upside. Good to see them giving youth a go.

Keeping in mind that they can flesh out their starting lineup with 3 imports, Creek and Madgen are good cornerstone signings.

Any chance they sign Gaze to an assistant role?

Reply #735393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why on earth wou look d you want Gaze as an assistant. They already have a Head Coach with the same ability as Gaze.

Reply #735396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Your comment about him is a full haters comment! You can't take away a guy's full body of work based on situations you didn't and can’t see"

10ppg on one of the worst teams in french prob league makes it pretty easy to make a judgment.

Doesn't exactly set the world on fire does it, Dan Trist was putting up good numbers in the Spanish 2nd division and didn't even last a full NBL season. People need to get their expectations right.

Reply #735398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this was plan b for Creek?

Reply #735406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah, he's an undersized pf.

Reply #735407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so were do u play him starter or bench? if starter that's a small team

import
Madgen 6 4
Creek 6 5
Moneke 6 6

import

Reply #735412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see him starting, he’ll be an energy guy off the bench, wouldn’t be earning much in French B league so probably a good budget signing.

Reply #735428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chima has the same agent as Creek and same management agency as Sobey, that could be why Sobeys be rumoured to be signing with South East Melbourne

Reply #735435 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great signing. Has huge upside.

As someone else said, he is an undersized PF.

Reply #735439 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

22 years old?

So he could still be a development player for 3 more years!

I think we should remember that when accessing how great our young players are that enter our league, very few Gaze and Heal and even Creek types coming through that wanna stay here (yes I know Gaze went to Seton Hall, but he was an Olympian very early on too)

Reply #735442 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Gaze using his talents to coach skills similiar to matt neilsen in perth may just be his best role. Not to demeen neilsen, in any way he may well be an elite head coach, but the work he has done with perth bigs in his current role is elite.

Reply #735444 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Doesn't exactly set the world on fire does it, Dan Trist was putting up good numbers in the Spanish 2nd division and didn't even last a full NBL season. People need to get their expectations right.]

Trist was 26 and super slow.

This guy's 22 and super athletic. Suggesting way more upside, all other things being equal

Reply #735445 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Plus, maybe Trist just wasn't in the right situation

Look at Adnam and David Andersen, Todd Blanchfield, Nick Kay this season. Changing clubs did wonders for them.

Reply #735446 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I suppose a few of the old SEMM fans would still love to hate Gaze, but he remains an Australian (and Melbournian) Basketball Icon.
Even if you just put him in charge of Community Relations.

And yeah, I don't know how good he is at teaching his skills, but a lot of teams would kill to get his shooting ability into their players.

As for Moneke, no he's not a starter. Doesn't need to be, he can grow into that role.

Reply #735459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please someone give Gaze a job so he doesnt get back on commentary.

Reply #735462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 of Landale, humphries or mathiang would be good.

Reply #735464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who was the last player to wear glasses or goggles' in the Nbl

Reply #735610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Willie Simmons!

Reply #735612 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Akil Mitchell

Reply #735614 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:15 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754