Bullets
Years ago

2018/19 Imports

It was unusual to see so few import changes this year. Pretty sure Brisbane (Gee & Holt) and Adelaide (Deleon) were the only teams who made changes.
This is despite a number of them underperforming...

Breakers - Moore
Taipans - Hall
Hawks - Jackson
Kings - Wear (although he did improve)

Thoughts?

Topic #44884 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Maybe it's odd Breakers didn't shaft Moore, otherwise:

If you're doing well, you can wear the Wear, if you're poor, financially it's not ideal to hall out Hall or Jackson, so they cop the bad imports.

Adelaide and Brisbane changed because they were challengers.

Reply #735603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was there ever a third import going to perth

Reply #735604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moore was better than Richard.

Reply #735626 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Brissy brought in 3 new imports, Breakers also changed.
Sydney brought in Turner late.

Apart from genuine injuries, i didn't have the impression this was any less than usual?
It's not something I really track, but if anything I would have said that 6 was above average?

Jackson did an ok job as PG, considering the budget the Hawks would have.

Wear was a strange choice for the Kings, and I think fared better when allowed to play his more natural game, which is more of an old-school SF.

Cairns did well to get 2 quality imports, considering their budget.

Reply #735659 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Hall came ok, he just started dreadfully!

Reply #735662 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think that returning (star) imports for me is what I'll remember (as well as how fast that Melo Trimble guy was) and how each game I expected Conklin, Jackson, Holt and Conger to burst out of their slump.

Because of past performances I always thought Illawarra could provide a lot of troubles to every team and had they shot better they could easily have slotted into that 4th place that nobody seemed to want.

If there was an import that surprised me he stayed, it was easily Armani Moore, his play was average and that injury was every bit as nasty as anything I've seen on s basketball court but his play in 2019 was pretty good.

I really hope that some club can bring in Rotnei Clarke as I really missed him this year

Reply #735663 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

"Cairns did well to get 2 quality imports, considering their budget."

What about those poor buggars at Sydney? I thought they did ver well on their poor, under the cap, budget too!!!

Imagine the shitstorm when they don't win the title!

Reply #735695 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Armani Moore was a victim of circumstances because the Breakers made some fatal mistakes re: roster compositions that cost them. The league is too strong to handicap yourself by overloading a position at the expense of others. Kings have been a great example of that the last 2 years, and I think Breakers were the best example this year. Throw Moore on nearly any other team and he's a solid contributor I think.

Reply #735699 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754