Jack Toft
Years ago

SF Series 1: Melbourne v Sydney Feb28

A last game of the season win by Melbourne put them in 2nd spot and hot favourites for this series. It was like a girlfriend pinching the chips off your schnitzel plate when "she's not that hungry".

Tonight, the team with the MVP heads down to face the team coached by the COTY. Will someone get it done in 2? or will we need some extra fries for that third game?

Melbourne have looked the goods when it been necessary this season. Running CG43 off the bench has been a masterstroke by the COTY who might even crack a smile if they get into the GF. While not scoring more points off the bench, it has been the impact that has mattered. He has been the sledgehammer togo with the Pledgehammer. We saw in the final game how Melbourne looked out of it all game. CG43 giving a sub-par return for most of the game brooding around the court like a 15 year old getting caught smoking on the oval, and then suddenly launching a Cotton-esque type attack to force that game into OT.

The week break has been great for NBL fans to catch up on Married at First sight, but now that Ines has left, it's time to tune into the real drama - NBL finals action.

For me, this series will go three games, but in game 1, itsa Mel - a - born all the way.

Topic #44895 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

Any idea how many tickets have been sold for game 1 in Melbourne? (Approximately)

Reply #735753 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Won't even pretend to be anything but a total biased Kings fan. Kings by 4. :p

Reply #735766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne should win...

but I thought that they could beat cairns at home too

Reply #735807 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Dammit. Of all the nights I get a Tinder date!!

Reply #735828 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

Kings can't win if Bogut fouls out.

Melbourne will win if they can carry out the 3-pronged attack of Barlow drawing Bogut out the 3PG, Boone drawing early fouls on Bogut, and Pledger getting the boards of Bogut.

Reply #735831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go Kings!!

Reply #735833 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings can win with Bogut on the bench if their shots are dropping. Defensively they can't survive it if it's a tight game with both teams missing shots. The good thing is, and one of the reason why all the Melb-Syd games were so close despite the 3-1 advantage to Melb, is that the Kings match up pretty well with United, and Bogut shouldn't be giving up too many fouls to Boone down low. Kennedy is the x-factor but I think Newley generally matches up pretty well with him too.

Reply #735838 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hoping Kennedy puts in a pearler like game 1 vs Sydney, low scoring affair where Kennedy dropped 24 and was the difference

Don't know what to expect here. I assume it'll be very close, like the regular season.

I'd like to see the Barlow-Bogut thing again. Will make it interesting

Reply #735849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless something weird happens like unexpected foul trouble or injury to a star player I think United will cruise to victory in this one

Reply #735852 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Disappointing crowd.

Will be lucky to be 7,000.

Reply #735866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

understandable. fans saving their money for the series that matters.

Reply #735867 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I hope United dip below 75% 3pt shooting.

Reply #735868 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

Melbourne will win this easily. Sydney isn't consistent.

Reply #735869 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good game so far good signs for the Kings with United shooting so well yet tied ball game.

Reply #735870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my god turner is awful!

Reply #735871 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Going to be a blow out now.

Reply #735873 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hopefully Gaze learns from this 2nd Q that this squad can't put 4 benchies on together at this point of the season. Unlikely, though.

Reply #735874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Going to be a blow out now."

Yes indeed

Reply #735875 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gross.

Reply #735876 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Yikes... Syd don't even wanna show up to a massive game like this.

Hard to see them coming back

Reply #735877 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This isn't good.

Reply #735878 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Gaze left Lisch and then Bogut off for too long

United playing very well

On paper fairly even but Bogut is Kings real advantage. If Boone keeps playing like this United will keep winning for the entire playoffs

Reply #735879 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Kings have to have a minimum of 3 starters on the court at all times. Just not deep enough.

Reply #735881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings should leave Bogut, Lisch, Newley, Kickert, Randle on the bench for most of the 2nd half. Save their legs for a crack at games 2 & 3.

Reply #735884 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Give melb too much confidence and it won't matter. If melb win this by 15+

I am expecting a sweeping for the kings

Reply #735888 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Something STINKS, wait is the rot at Sydney Kings.

Reply #735889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just tuned in, wtf is happening

Classic sydney lol

Reply #735891 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw well, hope Perth v Brisbane is close game

Reply #735897 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Better start for Sydney, but need to keep this up and also survive the late 3rd Q/early 4th Q Gaze substitutions.

Reply #735898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone loves to bag Goulding but his defence this game has been impressive.

Reply #735902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never been a fan of Adnam, he left because he didn't have a gig with United. Now hopefully the Kings realise they made a mistake in recruiting him. Out of his league. Oh it was never SEABL either.

Reply #735903 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Adnam is great as a depth option. Hes never going to be a superstar, but he's hardly out of his league on the court. Has some flaws but he's decent

Reply #735904 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Adnam has overall been pretty great this season. Biggest issue has been Gaze playing him alongside Randle throughout the year.

Reply #735905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adnam is a chump. Deng's on now and about the same. Another gutting of the Kings next season is needed. JVG please leave.

Reply #735906 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What was Randle 's injury? Looks a bit slower than usual. Out of rhythm

Reply #735908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hammie I believe. Adnam on Ware. Game over.

Reply #735909 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hammy makes sense. If you're tight you're tight. Can't manage that.

Reply #735912 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh look, there's some AFL players in the crowd.

Reply #735913 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I'm a bit disappointed by this game. I was hoping for more from this matchup. But you never know. Maybe this is the wake-up call they need...

You would want to hope so if your a king's fan, because they couldn't possibly get worse

Reply #735914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it was a quad injury.

Reply #735915 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Sad result, was hoping for an upset Kings win, would much rather them if we happen to get through, i have been fairly critical of White as an import, but good lord Wear the Kings version makes him look like an all star.

Reply #735916 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

King's are showing that their decision not to get a 7th import is going to cost them a spot in the grand final series

Reply #735917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologies Calf. I got confused with Stephen Hoare's Hammie.

Reply #735918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding schools Adnam and then makes the 3. FFS.

Reply #735919 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If Deng had been given 5% of the opportunities that Wear has inexplicably been given this year can't help but think he'd be a useful player for us by this point. As it is he had a nice preseason then had a couple of poor showings defensively to start the year and never made it back into the rotation.

Reply #735921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze lost any chance of beating united when he announced he not returning
as kings coached next season. The will and desire to go out and win for
the coach didn't show in tonight performance

The team played with zero defensive intensity, no leadership and lacked enough points productions from key players.

Wear = 2pts
Kickert = 2pts
Bowan = 2pts
Bogut = 7pts

Reply #735922 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

David Wear will go down as one of the worst NBL imports in history to last entire season he is TRASSSSHHHH. JVG and Gaze go bye bye together??

Reply #735923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle looked injured or has heard the rumour kings chasing Trimble. Thought this would be close but kings no match, Goulding off the bench has been sublime, Kennedy, Boone, Ware big time players. Barlow, McCarron, Moller, Hooley do what's required and get the job done. Jois not so much, athlete but not much else there.

Kings few high points, Bogut out played by Boone, Newley did well probably kings best. Lisch tried hard, Deng got a few shots up but doesn’t look the level, Adnam has a go but hard ask on Goulding, rest not much to out there league.

Reply #735925 | Report this post

dribbler  
Years ago

Cant believe no-one has mentioned how shit bogut played considering all the hype. Melbourne in 2

Reply #735926 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

SWEEP

Reply #735940 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

Can't blame the players. Kings players have tried their best. However from the preseason - #Wear is our PF? Where are our athletic rebounders? Where is our athletic swing 3/4? Where is our balance? Where is our coaching - no open shots, all contested shots.

Reply #735944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut sucking air. I must say as a long time Kings supporter this is one of the most insipid games I have ever seen the Kings play.

Reply #735945 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

"Cant believe no-one has mentioned how shit bogut played considering all the hype."

Always said Pork Chop is not as good as Angus Beef, DJ, and now Boone.

Cotton should have been MVP.

Reply #735947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is the worst MVP I can recall.

Game one of the finals and he basically doesn't show up. Clearly doesn't give a fuck about his team, fans, or the league

We've made excuses for this guy for years, because he can play sport, but clearly he is as big a wanker as we feared.

Reply #735969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And last nights results are why Mr Entertainment League Owner wanted the villain Wright out of the finals series. They are the only ones able to challenge his team and the largest money spinning club. Boring. Could have been a great finals series, lost to the green shirts. Meanwhile... non finalists are busy forging ahead and nbl already behind them and on to bigger and better things taking advantage of getting names for themselves on the the international stage at the pointy end of international seasons. They'll have the last laugh. Cricket is looking interesting and the aflw.

Reply #735978 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Bogut vacationing with Carmen Sandiego?!

Bogut really is a non-factor in this series.

Boone competes on the boards better than most and runs the floor really well for a big.

On top of that, Melbourne has a superior perimeter game.

Both of these factors take away Boguts strengths.

Reply #735985 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

People still bitter over Bogut winning MVP, despite how it was tallied huh.

Bogut had an off-night, but so did the rest of the team. A real lackluster performance and maybe not surprising with the stupid timing of the Gaze announcement. At that point it felt like the Kings had given up on this season, and last night's performance pretty much backed that up.

Reply #735987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kennedy, an import with a difference. He can defend !

Reply #735993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does Ware not called for the push out, full length arm open hand. Called on pretty much everyone else

Reply #735994 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If Cadee is your starting PG you are going to have a bad time.
Why/How does he keep finding himself in that situation year after year. He needs to put into the Goulding coming of the bench role and stay there.. or go to Illawara/Cairns (no offence).

Te Rangi showed up proving why he was MIP and 6th man also ... smh

Reply #735995 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

sorry wrong thread this was meant to say

BOGUT MVP - LOL

Reply #735996 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

Bogut didn't have an off-night, he is a liability.

As I have said many times, he is too slow to defend the perimeter or the on-ball screen, so what happened?

Vickerman gets Ware to drop 4 3PG in the first few minutes, and the Kings never recovered.

Other coaches have been slow to catch on, but they will.

Reply #736001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not all about Bogut, Kings experience the same defensive liability with Randle the Sixers had. If he is shut down then why have him on court. The bench had lots of young fit talent that could be injected and make a difference. Will never win a title. The two teams that could challenge Melbourne and Perth in a finals series with adjusted officiating and pace is Illawarra and Adelaide.

Reply #736003 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Only watched from the second half onwards, but there were so many occasions when a Kings shot went up that Bogut would start heading to the other end of the court as if it would go in every time. He's an elite rebounder so not sure why he wouldn't challenge for the offensive boards when he was in usually a 40/60 chance of out rebounding his opponent. Must have had flashbacks of still being on the Warriors roster...

Reply #736004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think cricket and aflw is interesting, I've just mowed the lawn, you can watch the grass grow.

Reply #736009 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

"Only watched from the second half onwards, but there were so many occasions when a Kings shot went up that Bogut would start heading to the other end of the court as if it would go in every time."

Bogut is too slow to do both. Boone will beat him on the break every time.

Reply #736012 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sydney was beaten in every position on the court last night, but the biggest problem was their cornerstones Randle and Bogut getting outplayed

If Boone keeps that up, United wins the title. My biggest concern is his health. He may need to be nursed through the 5 game GF with careful management and treatment

Reply #736013 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Bogut is too slow to do both. Boone will beat him on the break every time."

Quite a few occasions Boone wasn't on the court though.

Reply #736018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bitter?
How much are we paying him? For the money we spent on him, could have had Kay, Norton, a couple of decent imports, and still had money for popcorn. I expected somebody with his credentials and pricetag to do three things this year. Dominate all season, win MVP, and stepup bigtime in the playoffs. So far he's done 1 of 3.

I'm just sick of the whole freakin mess, and oxygen thieves like JVG and Gaze. All the money poured in, and nothing to show for it. Give Joey or Bevo half this moeny and they'd be motoring towards a threepeat.

Reply #736057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG said from day one anything other than semi finals is a failure, three years later one semi finals campaign and millions spent, hardly a success.
They should have built the side from the ground up, taking their time and not shooting their mouth off at half the cost, but setting the club up.

Reply #736060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is no reason it couldn't be done very quickly with their budget. but step 1 is to appoint a good quality managing director to run the show and they still haven't done that yet.

Reply #736062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard the owner is taking over next season.

Reply #736070 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:59 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754