Herbert Cadbury
Years ago

Mitch McCarron signs for Southland Sharks in the NZNBL

https://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/110926534/national-basketball-league-melbourne-united-guard-to-swim-with-southland-sharks

He will join up with Jarrad Weeks again like the good ol' days, I am looking forward to this combination very much.

He last played in the NZNBL in 2017 for the Super City Rangers and had 21.63ppg/6.63rpg/3.84apg. It will be interesting to see his numbers this season, a lot has happened for Mitch over the last couple of years (as we all know)!

Topic #44900 | Report this topic

Curtley  
Years ago

He's too good for the NZNBL. Should be getting a gig in Europe.

Reply #735844 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

He might put up Russell Westbrookesque numbers over there

25p/8r/6a or something like that

Bit of a step backwards though- played in Slovenia last off season, polishing his PG skills.

I guess the extended season with United making the playoffs hurt his chances of getting a Euro gig?

Do NBL players have playoff incentives built into their contracts? If you look at say Wiley, he'd be getting good coin in the Euroleague but wouldn't have been able to if 36ers had gotten 4th. He might've been thinking it was better for him for the 36ers to lose their last game and miss out!

Reply #735848 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The GF last year finished at the end of March and that didn't stop Mitch Creek getting a contract in Germany in April.

Reply #735851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch Creek is a rare example, probably because he's very good, can’t play any euro competitions after 28th February I believe. You can play local though which Creek if I recall correctly was trying to save side from relegation.
If you want end season euro contract it helps to not make finals.

Reply #735854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarrad Weeks has signed with Ringwood Hawks in the NBL1

Reply #735857 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Money Making Mitch McCarron... oh NZNBL, never mind.

Reply #735883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Underwhelming

Reply #735899 | Report this post

Yis! Go tha Sharks bruz!

Reply #735929 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Is playing against weaker competition in the off season really the best way to improve? I get why lesser role players do it to get some time on court and to supplement income, but for guys who get lots of minutes and are at the top end of the pay scale I can't see how this helps them.

Sure, game time is good, but when the game is too easy, good players can take short cuts rather than pushing themselves.

Reply #735982 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I think he's just insuring himself against the risk he'll miss a Euro deal

Hard to get a gig in late March

Reply #736014 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'm actually not suggesting he should take a euro gig instead, rather that it would seem more beneficial to take a short break followed by putting in practice time of the things that you need to do to get better at the higher level, rather than beating up on less talented players with your current skill set

Reply #736047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iam guessing its easier to brake a NZNBL contact, just in case he goes to the summer league or a NBA camp

Reply #736052 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I get that. But why does he need to be playing anywhere?

Playing any sport competitively all year round is not ideal. You need periods where you're concentrating on training and build towards peak competing at the right time.

Reply #736054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't he got a knee injury, good signing though.

Reply #736059 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:41 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754