Jack Toft
Years ago

SF Series 2: Brisbane v Perth Mar 2

It's do or die tonight with Brisbane needing to pull their finger out if they want to take this to game 3.

Game 1 looked competitive early, but then Brisbane fade away for Perth to draw first blood. Bryce Cotton leading all scorers (hold the phones... I'm shocked by that) and Nick Kay showing us all why he is considered a leading local star in this league. Gliddon and Hodgson waving the Bullets flag, but a lot of passengers on the Bullet train along for the frequent flyer rewards.

The Bullets had no answers for the Wildcats in the Championship Quarter and scored a paltry 4 points in the 4th. Memo to Bullets: Just because it's called quarter 4 isn't an indication of the points you should score.

They have a chance to reset today and I think we will see that. BUT, there is a dude they need to overcome and while cotton doesn't usually stop bullets, the Perth type of fine cotton might as well be kevlar.

Perth to lock in a GF spot today.

Topic #44906 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm picking Jason "-35" Cadee to take a massive step forward from his game 1 performance - somewhere to the tune of 4 points sounds about right.

Reply #736107 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

AngusH, yes, that stat stood out like Andrew Bogut at a dwarf's convention

Reply #736110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they expecting a big crowd out there for this one? Brisbane long awaited return to the finals

Reply #736111 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ Judging by a quick look at Ticketek it's going to be fairly close to capacity. Only the corners have got a significant number of empty seats.

Norton officially ruled out for today.

Reply #736113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fear not Brisbane, John Cena's theme music each quarter will guarantee a Bullets victory!

Just kidding. JC-35 will lead us to a loss.

Reply #736118 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Mika out? That's big loss for bullets, his the energy guy and for me got them over the line to make the playoffs.

Reply #736121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Judging by a quick look at Ticketek it's going to be fairly close to capacity. Only the corners have got a significant number of empty seats."

Excellent news, considering they're playing at the bigger stadium too

Reply #736124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Heal Again. WTF, is there no one else

Reply #736132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mika out. Brisbane are going to miss the grubs physicality out there.

Reply #736134 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Would like to get grand final spot locked up today.

Reply #736136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being broadcast on 9HD in WA, will be interesting to see what this does to the number of viewers.

Reply #736137 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind a Buzzas win here

Reply #736138 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Would like to get grand final spot locked up today.

Reply #736139 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind a Buzzas win

Reply #736140 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sorry double post.
Cadee to get 10 points.

Reply #736141 | Report this post

Is this not on free to air?

Reply #736144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is this not on free to air?"

On 9GO over east, 9HD in Perth

Reply #736145 | Report this post

thanks brah

Reply #736147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Solid start by bullets other than Cadee playing rubbish

Reply #736148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee picking up where he left off. 0/3 FG, +/- of -7

Reply #736149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis just as much of a spud but plays a lot less minutes so hurts his team less

Reply #736150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The one match up Brisbane have won so far this series is Lemanis in an upset being bigger flog than Gleeson.

Reply #736152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep shooting Jason. Your next one will drop!
- Cats fan

Reply #736153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth need to have 3+ starters on the floor at all times. We always have these average runs when we only have 1 or 2 on. This is playoffs, you can afford to play the staters heavy minutes.

Reply #736154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both teams horrible this quarter.
No one wants to win it.

Reply #736156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although Kendle is at least playing like it is a do or die game unlike some of his teammates.

Reply #736157 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Cadee have yourself a GAME son!

0/6, woooooooooo!

Don't forget Brisbane, Lemanis has given us another two years of JC-35 after this.

Reply #736159 | Report this post

Terrico coming good at the right time of the year

Reply #736160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There aren't many secondary imports better than White yet experts wanted him replaced

Reply #736161 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cadee needs to be benched next year. Brisbane wont win with him starting.

An Adelaide v Perth series would've been more interesting.

Reply #736162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Damo is going to hit his threes then Perth will be very hard to stop

Reply #736163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If Damo is going to hit his threes then Perth will be very hard to stop"

I can't remember exactly what it was, but there was a stat a couple of years ago in the newspaper that was something like when Damo shoots over cetain % from 3 for the season that Perth play in the grand final and or win the championship.

Reply #736164 | Report this post

Damo shoots over 40% from three in premiership years

Reply #736166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson still the king of dumb fouls

Reply #736167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good call on review there, but i thought that kind of call was one they can't review?

Reply #736169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Where is the foul?" - Shane Heal not actually watching the game he is commentating

Reply #736171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton would look good playing soccer, hits the floor holding his hit spot rolling like he's been shot.

Reply #736172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does it even when he hasn't been hit so yes soccer would suit him for sure

Reply #736173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bout time cats got a flop warning

Reply #736174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As said previously, why Heal again.

Reply #736175 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The refs are deciding this game at present

Reply #736176 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Refs and pathetic defensive awareness from Reuben Te Rangi

Reply #736178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentators said the first Grand final is thursday, has that actually been confirmed?

I would have thought Friday and sunday would have been better week 1 for viewing.

Reply #736180 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

Thursday Saturday Monday Friday Sunday

Reply #736181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now they're saying its changed to Friday because of venue availability lol

Reply #736183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus wagstaff has had some costly turnovers

Reply #736184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is he still turning to cadee. He's had a nightmare of a finals series so far and kendle at least produces for the limited minutes he plays

Reply #736186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damos shooting back to normal and bullets making a run

Reply #736187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bryce to do something special these last few minutes

Reply #736191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop guarding cadee so tight off the ball, get it in his hands ffs!

Reply #736193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paterson keeps turning it over, his mid season form has gone. To much iso as well.

Reply #736194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please keep doubling Cotton so we can keep getting open shots

Reply #736196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty to like about the Bullets this season. They are one spud contract away from being a contender.

Reply #736197 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Sweeeeep

Reply #736198 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

HATERS said we couldn't do it, now all they've got is whinging about refs and laughing at Cadee. We won this series and we're going to win the GF too.

Reply #736199 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

To their credit, Brisbane kept on coming, and took it right upto the Cats.
I always thought this would be the result, the advantage of finishing 1st and getting the weaker opponent, but full credit to Brisbane for making it much closer than I thought.

Reply #736201 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Why the fuck did bullets foul 3 down and and getting the final possession. Bonehead coaching from lemanis again.

Reply #736202 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I can't help but be angry that we threw away our season like this by not getting that 3rd import.

Reply #736208 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I was sold a fake prophecy.

Cadee did not score a single point in either semi

Reply #736212 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The Bullets' post-season 3 point shooting was a car crash and he was in the thick of it

Reply #736214 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#proFARCEy

Reply #736216 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Game 1 Friday, Game 2 Brisbane

Reply #736217 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Baffling that despite his ineptness, Lemanis still chose to play Cadee over Gibbo and Kendle. Smh.

Bonehead Hodgson's two quick fouls were real beauts too, nice one pal.

Reply #736219 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Its good to see White stepping up in the playoffs and shooting the ball consistently. He's now playing like the second import the cats need him to be.

Reply #736222 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hammerhead Heal not giving Perth any love.

Reply #736226 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

From the NBL match report:

It was a bittersweet finish for Bullets coach Andrej Lemanis, who felt pride in his side for lifting themselves off the bottom of the table to make final for the first time since readmission.

But the biggest pain came from telling Vukona the night before he couldn't play. Lemanis broke down in tears speaking of Vukona’s bravery.

"He didn’t want me to tell anybody, but he was willing to risk his career and hope that it didn’t snap. That’s what it meant to him. I wasn’t prepared to let him do that, it’s too big a sacrifice," Lemanis said.

"That speaks to who he is, I can’t speak more highly of him. We wanted to rest him in the FIBA window, he wanted to rest because we knew it would be bad for him to play.

"Basketball New Zealand refused to let that happen and threatened a sanction. This is the result, he pays a price, we pay a price and the fans pay a price."

Bombshell

Reply #736230 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That part of the presser (video)
Lemanis on Vukona

Reply #736234 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

If NZ bball threatened a pensioner with a sanction for wanting to rest before his clubs final series they really need to look in the mirror and question their development programmes.

Reply #736250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wagstaff tried his best to fuck everything up for the wildcats with shocking passes and decision making leading to 4 turnovers, he might have to follow hire out the door

Reply #736252 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I feel like a fool for vastly overestimating Cadee when I predicted he'd score 4 points.

Reply #736253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is an embarrassment

Reply #736255 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

And I'd wager there are few folks on these boards who dislike the Wildcats as much as I do, but for some reason that I really can't explain I still haven't enjoyed reading Wildcats fans shit all over Wagstaff this season, considering the impact he's had for his club over the past decade.

Reply #736256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As well as Cadee, Paterson, TeRangi and Glidon fell away over the last 6/8 weeks. Overall though Brisbane have done reasonably well behind the big three. NZ and Adelaide had better teams and failed.

Reply #736257 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Could easily have been the difference in this game, but I think Lemanis made the right call.
It would have been very difficult for him to play today then backup on Monday if they won. So ultimately it would have been risky and pointless.

Reply #736261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus, there have been maybe less than a dozen comments about Wagstaff. You've probably complained more about these posts than actual Cats fans "shitting all over him." It's almost guaranteed that your posts will be bitching about something Perth-related so pretty sure the problem rests with you.

Reply #736266 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Nope. I've made 2 posts about it, and I'm pretty sure I could dig out an easy 20-25 of those posts re: Wagstaff during Perth's slump this season.

Reply #736268 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I thought Kendall needed to play more. He seemed the only Brisbane guard who could create his own shot or make something happen. 3 dried up early on and they needed someone other than Patterson for some offence. Not sure why they persisted with Cadee for so long. They were under the pump from a long way out and needed some scoreboard pressure to help them. Perth always seemed in control and had the answer to hold off any challenge.

Reply #736269 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Terrico coming good at the right time of the year"

"There aren't many secondary imports better than White yet experts wanted him replaced"

Yes he has played well this series. Be interesting to see how he goes in the GF against Melbourne.

Reply #736271 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

This season as a Cats fan Wagstaff on many occasions has had me with my head in my hands saying "FFS Jesse" however more often than not he'll pull out a clutch 3 like today or big hustle defensive set that makes you believe in him. I want Perth to hold onto him for next year. Like Hire this year, veteran bench presence is not easy to come by.

Reply #736279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon still inconsistent, still goes missing at crunch time. will continue to be good but not great unless he can take that next step.

Reply #736285 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I was sold a fake prophecy.

No...your inabaility to keep up with your medication came up with that BS.

Anyway...I love seeing the Buzzas training and it's sole occupant, burn.

Reply #736292 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

It is understood Brisbane are taking Jason Cadee to the Viper Room in an attempt for him regain the sensation of scoring.

The Bullet's medical staff have however only given it a 50/50 chance of success.

Reply #736294 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#proFARCEy

Reply #736303 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Be interesting to see if Hire sticks around next season. Maybe in some Community capacity and/or as a TP.

Unless there's some young stud available, I imagine Wagstaff will play-on.
They still need to come up with their 5 under 5, and with the Phoenix sucking up talent, experienced guys will be hard to come by.

Reply #736316 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why on earth would he stick around as a training player?

Reply #736319 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The weird fascination with Hire continues. He's retired let it be.

Reply #736421 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Dazz, Hire will retire after grand final.

Reply #736437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am with you AngusH about the Jesse bashing by supposed Cats fans.

Reply #736476 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754