Jack Toft
Years ago

SF Series: Sydney v Melbourne Mar 3

Well, Perth have booked their spot in the GF, but who will join them?

Sydney in all sorts of trouble in game 1 definitely need to pull the finger out to drag Melbourne kicking and screaming into game 3. Melbourne on the other hand are synced together like Wizard of Oz and Dark Side of the Moon (if you haven't tried it, try it after a cone or three) Kennedy the quiet achiever probably the difference between the teams.

The Mardi Gras was on last night (so I hear...) so there's plenty of Kings and Queens in Sydney this weekend. Melbourne have the Kings on their knees and surely the Kings won't go down easily this game.

Melbourne look the goods though and will surely have their wicked way with the Kings to join the Wildcats in the GF.

Topic #44911 | Report this topic

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I think it's very appropriate that the Kings are on their knees on Mardi Gras weekend.

Reply #736298 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Looking forward to seeing the Kings response after Thursday's capitulation... they didn't play like the best away team but hopefully a massive crowd turns up and are given plenty to scream about.

Thanks Jack, I enjoyed that write up

Reply #736299 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm hoping for a closer game than game 1, but expecting a very large & disappointed crowd this afternoon in Sydney.

Reply #736300 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The Mardi Gras was on last night (so I hear...) so there's plenty of Kings and Queens in Sydney this weekend. Melbourne have the Kings on their knees and surely the Kings won't go down easily this game.

Reply #736304 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Big love big love to everyone.

Randle limped off the court on Thursday, I don't think he will be right for this one. Melbourne should get it.

Please, dear god, let Melbourne beat Perth in the grand final series

Reply #736305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can the believe the odds for this game. Almost even money. Thats a disgrace. Happy to have a punt on the Kings but United are $1.89 and t it's Kings $1.93. BS.

Reply #736311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if the odds are so ridiculous then put your money where your mouth is and virtually double your wealth in one day.

Reply #736312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze's legacy of h our time in Sydney will be a large serve of underwhelming followed by insipid.

Reply #736313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance the Great White Bludger gets off his arse and plays some ball?
Maybe we should start an M-V-P chant early and try to embarrass him into something. Except he'll probably think he deserves it.

Another season of promise, another bloody great disappointment. Fuck you Gaze.

Reply #736317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG - Shane Heal again as commentator - is there no one else. Does he run this league?

Reply #736325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They just said over 14,000 expected. Great news

I think Heal does a lot of games because he needs money

Reply #736326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the league are happy to give Heal all the games to help him with money?

Sure Brett B and Matt N would love to hear that

Reply #736327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt N? Did he loan him money too? I only saw Brown's name in the news reports

Reply #736328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Matt N lost a bucket load as well just did not want to pursue it

Reply #736329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Russell is quite clearly not a basketball commentator

Reply #736331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do or die playoff game and Bogut still dawdling up the court most of the time

Reply #736332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware looking like he could go 40+ here

Reply #736334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Bogut not want to play anymore?

Reply #736335 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Bunnings have brooms on special this weekend?

Reply #736339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MVP! MVP! MVP!

Reply #736340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

another great game by the real mvp. doing actual mvp things getting his team into the finals and will lead them to another title.

Reply #736343 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I hope Sydney retains this entire squad.

Reply #736344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Na, Cotton played yesterday. Wrong thread.

Reply #736345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That shows the relationship between Bogut and Gaze. Jerome got a hug and a chat Lisch got the same and Bogut just walked straight pass with only a handshake little acknowledgement/eye contact

Reply #736346 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Anyone else see Bogut and Randle head straight down the tunnel while the rest of the team stayed on court to thank fans?

Reply #736347 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Awesome crowd. Pity they didn't get a better show from their team.

Reply #736348 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

These commentators are embarrassing for the game

Reply #736350 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Randle I can understand....it's better for Jerome to get inside before Mrs Randle launches food trays.

Reply #736351 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

This team had poor culture ALL season, it was just papered over by some superstar players like Randle when he was healthy. This feeble exit was inevitable.

Reply #736355 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

What a masterclass from Gaze. Zero adjustments. Kickert and Wear both looked like they didn't want to be out there and Randle was clearly injured, and Gaze just sticks with the rotations he scribbled down on a napkin 4 months ago. Meanwhile Turner was arguably our best player in limited mins but why try him next to Bogut when he seems like a perfect fit with his defensive activity, and Deng despite good production in game 1 gets on with a minute left. Glad the Gaze era is over, shame we wasted so much money - hopefully also the end of the JvG era.

Congrats to Melbourne however, the vastly better team this series and I think also too much for the wildcats over 5 games.

Reply #736358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah there is plenty that could have been done better but in the end Melb is the best team in the comp and would have won anyway. The upside of being swept out this easy will hopefully be more change being put in place for next season.

Reply #736359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can the talk about Gaze legacy stop unless its referring to his basketball playing career.

His legacy as coach of the Kings is non existent IMO!!

Year 1 - Bottom of the ladder
Year 2 - second bottom of the ladder
Year 3 - making the semi's had very little to do with his coaching but to do
with the addition of Bogut and Randle but they both didn't step their
game up in the semi's

This was a disaster waiting to happen once jvg hired gaze to be the face of the kings in stead of hiring a coach who had runs on the board with coaching experience.

I would expect Gaze to be back living in Melbourne within 72 hours and commentating a grand final game back being one of the boys.

His non existent assistant coach copeland will be back in melbourne in time enough for next weekends night club seen.

Reply #736361 | Report this post

Jas  
Years ago

Is Matt Russell the most annoying commentator ever?

He just vomits stats after stats - talking about things that happened 20 years ago -and cliches - and then can't even get it right if something was called a foul. Just talks to fill air time - give me peace and quiet any day.

Just let Carfino and Heal talk about the game please.

Reply #736362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is Matt Russell the most annoying commentator ever?"

Is Dwayne Russell officially out of the rotation? If so then yes.
I mean when fans here are saying that a commentator should shut up so that Heal can speak more you know they must be truly awful!!

Reply #736363 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@Mock
Randle, that's funny. Love your satire. With the non replacement of Wear, Kickert never getting a rebound, no support for Bogut, Adnam a backup PG might as well of had Cadee, no bench, that is why feeble exit was inevitable. Melb have best team by a mile, basically had Kings measure when they wanted

Reply #736375 | Report this post

Lo74  
Years ago

Typical of Gaze to head straight down the tunnel too. No thanks to crowd or players for the season. Very poor Leadership and Bogut and Randle followed. Very very poor but not surprising!

Reply #736383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another season, another year of shattered promises.

Is Bogut now officially the worst MVP in the history of the league. Clearly doesn't give a flying fuck about his team, the fans, or his teammates. I truly hope they fuck him off and spend the money ona couple of decent imports.
So is it going to be Bevo or Neilsen?
I guess if there is no announcement before the GF, we'll know.

At least the GF series will finally show which one of Ware or Cotton is the real MVP.

Reply #736387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is Bogut now officially the worst MVP in the history of the league."

lol not even close. conklin. williams. wethers. #neverforget

Reply #736391 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

@60srockstar

Get a brain man! You must have taken the brown acid at Woodstock if you think Randle is bad.

Yes all those factors hurt then but they wouldn't have made tne semis without Randle being one of the BEST guards kn the damn league again.

Reply #736393 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

@60srockstar

Get a brain man! You must have taken the brown acid at Woodstock if you think Randle is bad.

Yes all those factors hurt then but they wouldn't have made tne semis without Randle being one of the BEST guards kn the damn league again.

Reply #736394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was Vickerman and Bogut talking about at the end of the game?

Reply #736395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut was probably saying to vickerman, they took Gaze ahead of you.

Randle was probably injured but even fit he's no match for Casper, same with adnam. Kennedy is an absolute gun at both ends. Melbourne top six are all class and there role players do what’s asked of them. Kings need a clean out, bench really non existent and starters getting older, no athletic guys other than Bowen and he struggled against good defence.

Reply #736402 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What was Bogut's + / - in each game of this series?

Reply #736404 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Perhaps Gaze's coaching tenure at the Kings is best likened to that of Demopoulos at United? Their respective coaching performances weren't good enough to make the best use of the rosters available to them and the teams underachieved as a result.

Reply #736406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard today from someone who knows Gleeson that kings have been after him. They did say he was waiting to see how the season went before making any decisions.

Reply #736413 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I had heard the same anon regarding Gleeson being asked if he wanted the job at syd

Reply #736416 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

OMG - Shane Heal again as commentator - is there no one else. Does he run this league?

It's a mate's league now - mates helping mates. If LK likes you you are in - see Homicide and Wortho as commentators for other examples.

I've found Heal's insolvency plan:

Reply #736444 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Jas - yes, he's terrible. Easily the worst lead commentator in the league.

And yes please enough of Shane Heal. He must be the leagues leader in commentating.

Reply #736451 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It just goes to show how bad commentary is in the leading leagues of Australia the AFL and NRL.

Dwayne Russell = AFL
Matt Russell = NRL

The bogan nature of these sports and their TV personnel permeate to make the entire Australian sports commentary landscape devoid of any talent. In this country you get to hear fuckwit boring middle aged men talking about sports as if they were at the local pub though your the official coverage.

Reply #736456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:29 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754