Big Ads
Years ago

NBA teams reaching out to Bogut

There is talk Andrew Bogut is being seriously courted to return to NBA for the rest of the season and Finals. Warriors and 76ers are understood to have made enquiries to his availability.

Mentioned on SEN radio this morning.

Will he stay or will he go?

Topic #44916 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Did they not watch his heartless semi finals performances?

Reply #736486 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The Raptors need a 3rd string C and could do much worse than bringing in Bogut.

Reply #736487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever he'd earn for the rest of the season would be worth more than 10% of an NBL team. Go for it id say.

Reply #736488 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Maximum 3.5 months playing 5-10 mins a game. No one would fault him for it even though he said he'd never go back to the NBA.

Reply #736489 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I imagine the Kings would appreciate any buy out fee too

Reply #736490 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Lots of trolls here again, I wonder if any of them have played as an injured professional in a team coached by a nice eperson who has no idea how to coach at the level at which they played and now coach.
Watching Bogut its clear to me that he played the whole season with some physical injuries, and while a pro can accept this, its hard when the coach has no idea how to best use a team that is made up of several of the "best" players in the competition.
I can only wonder at how it must feel to have david wear as one of your "stud" imports.
Hope next season they have a good coach and it finally falls into place.

Reply #736491 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Raptors very thin up front after letting Monroe go due to salary considerations after the Gasol trade.

Reply #736493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very Old, those are some weak excuses for Bogut. Are you LV's dad?

Reply #736494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Did they not watch his heartless semi finals performances?"

they saw him conserving his energy for the NBA and liked it.

Reply #736496 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

What fools these NBA teams are. If only they'd come to these boards for the expert analysis of named and anonymous posters they'd see that not only is Bogut trash, but also the worst NBL MVP of all time. Better off signing Bogut-stopper Brandt, or the Shawn Long that showed up 3 months into the season.

Reply #736504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone better than them all.

Reply #736506 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good point AngusH

Surely Brandt will get the call up this week? He's way better than that fake MVP Bogut..

Hopefully no contractual disputes ala Creek and 36ers.

United goes straight to favouritism.

Reply #736507 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good point AngusH

Surely Brandt will get the call up this week? He's way better than that fake MVP Bogut..

Hopefully no contractual disputes ala Creek and 36ers.

United goes straight to favouritism.

Reply #736508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who mentioned Brandt or Long? Bit sensitive after the sweep, Angus?

Reply #736518 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Very old...you call out others as trolls yet act like you are Bogut's personal physician.

Reply #736521 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Philly ? Strange fit. With Embiid,Boban,Bolden (Who did an ok job on Cousins yesterday I thought), Johnson & Patton. Seems overcrowded in the front court. I he supposed to be insurance against an often injured Embiid ? If so, wouldn't they be safer getting someone who isn't often injured himself ?

Reply #736524 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Warriors would be the best fit by far. He's exactly the kind of player they need when not running Draymond Green at centre. That plus the familiarity with the organisation pretty much means he'll go there I reckon. Don't think there was a falling out when he left

Reply #736525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, Angus still butthurting and Very Old just making up excuses.

Bogut was a role-player in the NBA. Many of us were concerned he would continue to do that here, and he did.
We were also concerned that with his reputation as a self-centred wanker he would think he was too good for our league, and well guess what.

Problem is there are just too many NBA fanboys who go to sleep at night fantasising about Bogut, and can't understand why the rest of Australia wasn't flocking to watch him play. Attendance gree by 4% this year and according to them 14% is soley down to Bogut.
For some reason you just can't seem to understand that winning a championship and building a core would have done far more for Sydney than Bogut ever could.

As for Gaze, Bogut knew what he was getting into. He was offered great money to return home and win championships with Vickerman, but he wanted to sell more tee shirts.

As for the NBA, Brandt, etc, carrying on like a dickhead doesn't make you right.
Nobody is disputing that Bogut is a great player, and could have desevred the MVP if he actually put the effort in. But he didn't.

Long and Boone are the perfect size for Centres in this league. Brandt is a little undersize, but makes up for it with his range and mobility. Bogut wass a role player in the NBA. If he changed it up he could and should have dominated in our league, but he didn't.

Besides nobody is chasing him to star in the NBA. They want a training player, and somebody to hold down one end of the bench and maybe play a few minutes if people et injured or into foul trouble. He could have had that role this season, but his ego wouldn't allow it.

Reply #736526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut has fallen out with the NBA, not just the teams he has left. Tweeting about pizzagate ruined him.

Reply #736527 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Although I'd like Toronto, Surely the Warriors would be the favourite, if anyone

He knows the main guys, knows the system.

Philly doesn't make as much sense. There's the Brett Brown/Aussie connections, but it's hard to see him being utilised. They've already got one slow, big back up big in Boban. Can't see Bogut ever getting ahead of him in the rotation. 76ers better off with someone else on their playoff roster instead of Bogut who would be surplus to requirements

Reply #736534 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Lots of people are disputing that anon. Here and elsewhere. And what exactly am I butthurt about, because Bogut actually won the award. The voting method is very transparent and hard though it might be for some to believe, you are the loud minority.

Reply #736536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huh? How is it transparent?

Reply #736537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AngusH, what a flog

Reply #736602 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmurray/2019/03/04/could-andrew-bogut-return-to-the-golden-state-warriors/#3c01bc9963cc

Appears the Warriors have it, for some of the reasons above, his defence, strengthens their bench and he knows the system, an insurance policy come finals etc...

Say what we want, he gets another chance at a ring, chasing Luc I guess, good luck to the big fella, still calls Australia home so has my vote!

Reply #736603 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's transparent because the voting system has been clearly stated. If you don't agree with it, fine, but I'll take the coaches votes over the fan votes.

Reply #736606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not exactly what I’d call transparent.

Reply #736607 | Report this post

DaAnswer  
Years ago

"Practically a done deal"
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/why-andrew-bogut-warriors-reunion-move-made-postseason

Reply #736609 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I think if we were to call the MVP voting transparent, they might have to actually show who everyone voted for, which I'm for, because otherwise knowing that there's a certain way that votes are tallied are the same as how it was in the past, no better, no worse, from a process perspective...

Reply #736610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly right. It is far from transparent and considering the COTY voting didn't have Gleeson in the top three, its fair to say either the new voting methods are open to bias, or the coaches/captains etc don't know what they are talking about either.

Reply #736613 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Every single system is open to bias though, event he 3-2-1 voting previously used... Don't want to give opposition players more points, or want to give a certain player the 3pts even if they deserve the 1pt just because there's a better chance of their total being better at the end of the season...

Making it 100% transparent that who you vote for will be publicly known might keep some of that in check...

Reply #736624 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The previous system wasn't 3-2-1, it was 10 votes, handed out as the coach wished, max five per player.

Reply #736678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus, you seem to be butthurt because you worship at Bogut's feet and nobody wants to convert to your religion.

We could have achieved so much more this season, with or without Bogut. The rest of us are disappointed, again, but you just sit there staring at your Bogut Shrine with a big sloppy grin on your face. Rather than be hurt that your team crumbled, again, you're only hurt because the rest of us won't join your Bogut Cult.

And, for what its worth, of the players who have gone on to join the NBA in recent years, none of them won MVP. (Although to be fair Ennis perhaps should have.) Which basically proves that there's no link between between being the best player in the NBL and finding a Niche in the NBA.

Reply #736687 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

from my news feed

" In the middle of the NBL season, Bogut received a call from Kerr about the prospect of a reunion with the Warriors post his Australian campaign.

It was an idea the Sydney Kings big man found appealing given the strong links he built during his five-year stint with the franchise from 2012 to 2016.

Bogut claimed a championship at Golden State in 2015, so potentially adding a second title to his resume as the Warriors chase an historic three-peat was hugely attractive.

Andrew Bogut is set to link up with Stephen Curry at the Warriors.
Golden State's interest then ramped up in early February when the franchise’s director of player personnel Larry Harris attended the Kings’ round 17 home win over Melbourne.

Bogut put on a show in front of Harris.

After a quiet start, the Sydney marquee man energised the crowd with three massive slams - two of those on alley-oops from Jerome Randle.

Once the Kings’ superstar centre got in the flow, United had no answers for him.

Bogut dominated the centre matchup against Melbourne’s Josh Boone with 15 points, 12 rebounds, three steals and three blocked shots.

This performance convinced Golden State officials that the Boomers veteran was in a good place mentally and physically while his rim protecting and screen setting was still strong.

The Warriors were looking to fill the franchise’s 15th roster spot with a defensive centre, so Bogut is the perfect fit.

Importantly, Harris also selected Bogut at No.1 in the 2005 NBA Draft when he was the Milwaukee Bucks GM. "

interesting

Reply #736723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully he didn't see him play against Boone in the last two games. :))

Reply #736724 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ 687; go dig out my posts re: award night and MVP. Cotton, Ware, or Bogut could have won the award and I wouldn't have blinked. You'll find posts from me saying that I expected Cotton to win. It's idiotic to think any 3 of those guys doesn't deserve the award regardless of where it went. Point is, Bogut won, the voting system is clear, and anyone who thinks he doesn't deserve it is an idiot.

As for your last paragraph, not sure where I tried to draw a link between NBL MVP and an NBA contract, but ok? Bogut is getting the call up because he's a known commodity who proved he's the healthiest he's been in years by putting up MVP numbers in a strong league. If Ware or Cotton had won, it's unlikely to have made a difference. Boone? An outside chance it might have.

Reply #736736 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just my opinion, but I don't think Bogut will have the same defensive impact at the Warriors.

Game has moved so quickly now. Traditional centers are becoming defensive liabilities (e.g. Adams has been really bad this year).

Could struggle to adjust

Reply #736820 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:58 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754