Anonymous
Years ago

Matt Flinn Announced as Illawarra Hawks Head Coach

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5934430/illawarra-hawks-hire-familiar-face-as-new-nbl-coach/

Topic #44921 | Report this topic

Ben  
Years ago

Curious to know what Hawks supporters think. Are they confident Flinn will do a reasonable job of mounding a budget group in to a competitive playoff aspirant?

Reply #736826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wooden spoon headed their way.

Question is, are we watching the death-throws of another proud club? No money, no crowds, a rookie coach who's going to need to scrape the barrel and beg his mates to come play.

Could they get Martin and Foreman to come back and play for nothing?
Maybe Campbell could suit up, he's only 42.

Or will we again see the NBL manage the fixturing issue of 9 teams in the simplest way possible?

Reply #736838 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I have faith!
In Flinny, the club, the community & the players.

I'm predicting we'll have-

GUN IMPORT / Naar / White
Jett / Grida
Blanchfield / Glover
Moller / Coenraad
New 5 / Anderson

That's a deep, exciting 11 with plenty of youth, athleticism, guys that play D & some value vets.

Wouldn't mind Josh Boone in that 5 spot...

Cue the pessimists to shoot me down : )

Reply #736881 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Moller is no starter. Cool dude off the bench bringing energy, but not a starter.

Reply #736887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Moller contracted? He is a starter given a chance got all the tools just needs opportunity. Melbourne are stacked.

Reply #736889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wouldn't mind Josh Boone in that 5 spot...

Cue the pessimists to shoot me down : )"

It's hardly pessimism to point out that you are full of shit.

The club has no freakin money. End of story
Couldn't even afford to pay Bevo any more.

I'd like to see Jett stick around, but after this season he'll probably get better offers. Flipping burgers at Maccas probably pays more.

Reply #736891 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Hes no liam flynn

Reply #736922 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Can see Hawks getting 8th or 9th.

Reply #736926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The mans allowed to support his club, probably led with his jaw a bit, but Jett would look good flipping burgers next to you.

Reply #736927 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Boone's not getting any younger, which will bring his price down & I can't see the big money clubs going there next year when there's younger talents out there, so if he likes the Aussie lifestyle & the chance at longevity in the league, one of the smaller market teams may be his best shot?

Reply #736984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Cooks and Asst Coach still?

Reply #737014 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Geez, either Cooks doesn't want the big head coaching gig or they just don't think he can get the job done....He's been an assistant for forever and a day...

Reply #737100 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Cooks is the modern day Dave Hancock.

Reply #737104 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Many seem to forget Cooks was the head coach and stepped down wanting to be an assistant again. Odd but it is what it is.

Reply #737106 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How similar are head and assistant coaching roles anyway? It's not that hard to believe someone could be far better suited to one than the other.

Reply #737112 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754