Anonymous
Years ago

Chris Pongrass new Sydney Kings CEO

http://www.sydneykings.com/news/article/chris-pongrass-named-chief-executive-officer-of-the-sydney-kings?fbclid=IwAR02ICOv-lDe2Pd5qKqFtkng0QsSIQHol5JfeimFIQD2JTrKQF4vQySk36w

Topic #44958 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No mention of JVG at all.

Reply #737851 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Well then.

Reply #737867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems a strange move backwards from the NBA. I'm sure there is more to this, as would be irrational if it was only just job related

Reply #737872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly been planned for a long time.
"After an extensive search and interview process it was felt Chris was the best fit..."
THanks for the memories Jeff. Most of them shithouse.

Reply #737873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the CEO position - not JVG's "General Manager of Basketball" role.

Side note: I interviewed for a position at the NBA (league office, not a team), and in the two interviews I had, both times a number of names of other Australians in high front office positions around the league were rattled off (business side mostly, not basketball ops), with one guy joking "this league is basically run by New York Jews first, and Australians second". Interesting to think that with all the problems both BA and the NBL have had over the years, there's all this Australian basketball-management talent out there, just sitting in front offices in Toronto, LA etc.

Reply #737876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In his new role, Pongrass will be responsible for managing all key functions of the Kings organisation including business operations, development, strategy and basketball operations. "
Sounds like his duties + CEO.

Reply #737877 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Is he Australian or American?

Reply #737882 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Australian.

Reply #737884 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Sorry I just saw that.

At least he would have an idea of the Australian market.

The question is, why would he leave a high paying job (presumably) in Memphis and then join the Sydney Kings?

Reply #737885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because it's probably an excellent career move. He's young (30ish?) and has a legal background, with his role at the Grizzlies likely also having a legal focus. Larger NBA teams have several hundred employees and like any organisation of that size (and popularity), it can be difficult to broaden your experience and responsibilities beyond your lane. The Sydney Kings seems like a big step down from the Memphis Grizzlies, but he's going to be running all facets of the business. His role at the Grizzlies reports up to the GM, so he's likely one of the legal voices behind assembling a roster, player deals, CBA expert etc. If he wants to move beyond that lane, it's really excellent experience. Do this for a few years and then return to the NBA with a far broader CV in hand. An NBL club might be tiny in comparison to an NBA club, but it's still real experience running all of marketing, operations, business development, events, staffing etc for a professional basketball team in a large city, and it's an extremely challenging market. Smart move.

Reply #737889 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Fair enough.

Well answered, let's hope you are right

Reply #737890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pong-r Ass?

Must have had a fun time at school

Reply #737891 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

g-r Ass?

Must have had a fun time at school

Primary school holidays is it?

Reply #737893 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Googling the Pongrass name tells me that he probably didn't have too many troubles in school.

Reply #737897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So was JVG essentially told to move on?

Reply #737909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From mid season if you believe the gossip

Reply #737913 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"The question is, why would he leave a high paying job (presumably) in Memphis and then join the Sydney Kings?"

From what I hear the salaries of a lot of those guys with NBA teams (such as DBO roles) don't pay anywhere near as high as what people think.

It's a supply/demand thing I think. So many people want those types of roles that they can afford not to pay exuberant salaries. DBO role is quite senior but still, those roles can be filed from within easily enough.

Reply #737914 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

#889 nailed it- great move for Pongrass.

but looking from the Kings perspective, is this the right move? He's got fairly limited experience, he's young. 2 and a half years as director of "basketball operations" in Memphis, and a bit of legal experience at Memphis and general legal before that. Is he ready for a full breadth CEO role of a medium sized organisation?

Clearly Kings have found faith in the guy. Time will tell.

Reply #737921 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Essentially Pongrass is one cog in a big machine, and he's becoming the centerpiece of a small machine.

He'll need the right temperament, people management, leadership and broad commercial skillset. It's not everybody's cup of tea- many people are just more suited to his current type of role, and you don't necessarily know until you try.

For the Kings sake, hopefully he nails it.

Reply #737922 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

FWIW re: JVG, my seats are a little behind the Kings bench and JVG was a regular sight mingling and shaking hands for the first 2 years, but I don't remember seeing him at a game in months, at least.

Reply #737926 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

With large corporations, or in this case one controlled from America, who knows.

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to put up with bosses and other managers that were absolutely incompetent, but managed to convince the executive that they were doing a great job. I recall one recently, a manager was leaving and the company threw a nice lunch at a top restaurant. All the executives were there, they all thought this person was great. I was the only subordinate to show up, and honestly only because I forgot it was on and was caught out working in the office that day.

Point is, for all we know they have congratulated JVG on a job well done, and given him a promotion.

Reply #737972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF are you on?

Reply #738125 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:32 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754